Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Some tips on keeping a convoy together

As I've been in a fair few convoys now - some good, some bad - I just thought I'd compile a few tips on keeping a convoy together. Please feel free to suggest amendments/changes/stuff you think is wrong :)

Planning the route

• Allow at least an extra 30mins or so for each meet-up point. You'll be surprised at how long it takes for everyone to turn up, go to the loo, refuel, eat a £12 9 day old sandwich, etc.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Plan rest and refuel breaks in advance so if anyone does get a bit lost they know where to head to and meet up again. Unless they are so off course they could never get there in time... but could at least report in and attempt to get back on track at the next stop.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Sensible distance refuelling stops should prevent anyone having to stop alone at a garage then driving like maniacs to catch up again.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Try to avoid rush-hour ;)[/*:m:3dkax5qd]

General tips

• Make sure you've got a few people that know where they're going. Ideally, not just the guy at the front... if you don't know exactly where you're going then at least have a vague idea in case you get lost![/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Get as many people's numbers as you can before you set off... or at least the numbers of the people that know where they're going[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Don't panic! Don't dive into spaces, jump lights and other silly things just because you're in a convoy. People will wait and you can always catch them up/call them.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Don't follow the car in front too closely - the only thing worse than a bent Corrado is a convoy of bent Corrados...[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • If the person in front indicates, indicate too so that the person behind you can see the signal too[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • If you're overtaking, stay out for as long as you safely can and keep indicating. It will help the people behind to overtake as well as they can see that the road ahead is clear, even if they can't see the road itself. Please don't completely rely on the person in front though - keep an eye out on what's going on and make sure you leave enough space to get back in if you need to.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • If you can also have someone else that knows where they're going as a sweeper at the back, that helps keep people together too. Ideally the guy at the back should be in one of the faster cars so they can keep up.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • If you've got some walkie talkies, they're always good fun to use[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Better yet, get someone to ride with you for company/ogling/goofing around with/picking silly music[/*:m:3dkax5qd]

Tips for the leader

• The lead person should ideally be someone in one of the slower cars as you don't want them (often unintentionally) disappearing off into the distance.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Plan ahead - it's amazing how much time and space you need to get a convoy of cars into another lane or off at a junction. Try and keep the size of your convoy in your head when changing lanes and more importantly turning off at junctions. Make sure you leave ample time for the guys behind to get over safely. Similarly, don't jump lights and dive out of junctions where there's room for only one car.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • If you're getting off at a junction, indicate waaaay in advance so the message gets down the convoy and everyone knows what's going on. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if you're just pulling over to the inside lane, or actually indicating to turn off. If you indicate a long way ahead, they know they do need to actually get over and off.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Try and get a spotter with you who can keep an eye on the convoy and/or answer your phone/call someone if they get lost.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]
  • Don't nail it. If you've just buried your foot into the carpet, every car behind has to go a little bit quicker to catch up. The whole convoy will then get strung out and the poor schmuck at the back will stand no chance of catching you.[/*:m:3dkax5qd]

good thread Dinkus. 'bout time someone wrote a little series of tips like this.

[*]Don't nail it. If you've just buried your foot into the carpet, every car behind has to go a little bit quicker to catch up. The whole convoy will then get strung out and the poor schmuck at the back will stand no chance of catching you.

In my MK2 Golf days, the quickest car was usually at the rear of the convoy :D

send Eric out the day before to put little signs on stakes every 100m or so...

[*]Don't nail it. If you've just buried your foot into the carpet, every car behind has to go a little bit quicker to catch up. The whole convoy will then get strung out and the poor schmuck at the back will stand no chance of catching you.

In my MK2 Golf days, the quickest car was usually at the rear of the convoy :D

If you can also have someone else that knows where they're going as a sweeper at the back, that helps keep people together too. Ideally the guy at the back should be in one of the faster cars so they can keep up.

;) :)

...tie all the cars together with rope... :gag:

But seriously, a good post Dinkus; stuff everyone should know.

In the military, convoy commanders give complete sets of orders (instructions) to all drivers and vehicle commanders before setting off, including actions on breakdown, separation etc, and everyone has a route card too!!...probably a bit of overkill for a few 'Rados travelling together though!! :lol:

Rumbled for not reading the whole thread :D

For me, half the fun of a convoy is the little races amongst eachother. Even if not fairly matched, it's good to see how quick, or how slow, different specs are 8) And how they are round the bends etc.

Another reason for having the quick car at the back is the brakes. You don't want to be following a car with big brakes in a VR that has standard brakes :lol:

For me, half the fun of a convoy is the little races amongst eachother. Even if not fairly matched, it's good to see how quick, or how slow, different specs are 8) And how they are round the bends etc.

Another reason for having the quick car at the back is the brakes. You don't want to be following a car with big brakes in a VR that has standard brakes :lol:

Hehe oh yeah - shuffling around within the convoy and generally dicking about is most of the fun. I was just thinking of tips for keeping everyone together.

I think what Kev is trying to say, is that he likes to bring up the rear, so to speak :eek: .

Keeping a convoy together in Cornwall is pretty easy as theres very few traffic lights etc, and it's not long before the lot of you will get stuck behind a caravan or tractor :confused:

CornishTraffic.gif

Yep thats part of the Fun, bit like that on the way to stanford hall, and the return aswell actually :grin:

Dom,

I agree, great idea to put up something like this.

I find, if everyone ensures they keep the car behind with them (knowing where they are going), then that automatically prevents the group from spliting up.

Also, if the car infront of you has sped off, as long as he, does not turn off the main route without waiting to ensure you have observed his direction change, then again no one should be lost - back to keep the car behind with you.

Hope that helps too.

Look forward to some good convoys :D

Not sure if this is included in the 'route planning' but another tip for a long journey.

Plan rest and refuel breaks in advance so if anyone does get a bit lost they know where to head to and meet up again. Unless they are so off course they could never get there in time..... but could at least report in and attempt to get back on track at the next stop.

And (sensible distance) refuel stops should prevent anyone having to stop alone at a garage then driving like maniacs to catch up again.

2p's :)

Ahh good tip - thanks Butterfly. I'd forgotten all about the route-planning side of things! :lol:

Also added a couple of extras on the route too 8)

More tips on driving in convoy:

1) Make sure everyone knows where your convoy is going to! You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't (for example) know exactly how to find Stealth if they lose the car in front.

2) If you lose the car in front, then you're driving like a granny. You have a Corrado god-dammit! Put your bloody foot down and catch up!

3) For two cars travelling together : if the lead car overtakes something, and can see the road ahead is clear, then stay out in the opposite lane. That will indicate to the tail car that the road ahead is still clear. Clearly a degree of trust, responsibility and common sense has to be used here but it really does make a helluva difference if you're on traffic laden A-roads.

4) Don't ever EVER follow me to an event. I may look like I know where I'm going but really I don't, as the 13 Corrado owners who followed me twice around Bicester in 2002 looking for AMD (including the 3-point turn I did) will testify. I've also got lost whilst leading groups of cars to Billing Aquadrome, Goodwood, No-Rice in Guildford and Thruxton circuit. The exception to this rule is Castle Combe - I do actually know where that is now.

5) Don't ever EVER travel in a convoy with Guy. He races everyone and anything, his Sat-Nav doesn't work (as we found out one year by being taken around the Paris Peripherique the wrong way on the way to Le Mans) and his loss of attention at the sight of PYT's is legendary. Now he has an RS4 and he's even worse than ever (seriously Guy this is respectful salute - don't beat me up!).

6) Similar to point (5) but applies to Wendy within the boundaries of Milton Keynes. And Oxfordshire. And France.

:D

Thanks John.

Will add 1 now - it's a good point as lots of people seem to think they'll be ok if they're in the Convoy... at least having a vague idea of where they've gotta go is a good idea!

3 is already in there and :lol: @ 4,5,6 :D

Refreshing to read guys.

If only this had been digested by the Milton Keynes boys on the way to UD this year. That was single handedly the worst convoy i've ever been in and likely to ever be part of.

Looking forward to being part of a raddo forum convoy sometime soon.

Funnily enough, the worst convoy I've ever been in was getting across MK as part of a meet once. Everybody drove like lunatics jumping lights, nailing it at every opportunity, driving far too close to each other and diving in and out of lanes at the last minute.

I gave up trying to follow them fairly quickly.

Funnily enough, the worst convoy I've ever been in was getting across MK as part of a meet once. Everybody drove like lunatics jumping lights, nailing it at every opportunity, driving far too close to each other and diving in and out of lanes at the last minute.

I gave up trying to follow them fairly quickly.

That was because your Rado was too heavily modded :lol:

Tempest

No, it was because I was in a Goof :(

No, it was because I was in a Goof :(

As I said, heavily modded "Rado" :lol:

Tempest

Don't EVER follow Charlie. Stanford anyone? :lol: That's the last time I'll mention mate, honest ;)

5) Don't ever EVER travel in a convoy with Guy. He races everyone and anything, his Sat-Nav doesn't work (as we found out one year by being taken around the Paris Peripherique the wrong way on the way to Le Mans) and his loss of attention at the sight of PYT's is legendary. Now he has an RS4 and he's even worse than ever (seriously Guy this is respectful salute - don't beat me up!).

6) Similar to point (5) but applies to Wendy within the boundaries of Milton Keynes. And Oxfordshire. And France.

:D

With reference to point (5) in my earlier post I have received reports that Guy's attempt at convoy driving back to the UK from Worthersee a few weeks ago failed miserably when he got bored with waiting for everyone in Germany & covered over 500 miles in just 4 hours, including two petrol stops... I understand vMax at one point over over 185mph.

The man is a driving God, but he is shit to be in a convoy with, LOL

No posts on this thread in a while.

I have also not posted in a while due to numerous car changes but feel i need to mention something here.

I cannot think of anything worse than driving in convoy - especially one more than 2 or 3 cars long. So much concentration spent on looking at whether the guy behind you is still there. Concentration needed for other things.

Also i dont know if anyone agrees but the "tip" about staying in the other carriageway to show followers that the road is clear when overtaking!! I do not believe that i have read this on such a respected forum.

I would never rely on someone else making the decision on whether i put my passengers, my car and myself in the potential path of oncoming traffic.

Surely the first rule of overtaking is being sure that you and your cars capabilities will allow you to safely get by in plenty of time - no one can make this decision for you. And certainly no one can make this decision for numerous drivers with cars of varying performance.

Just my 2p.

If i were to leave somewhere in convoy i would fully expect to not arrive in convoy.

cheers

Sign in to follow this