Sign in to follow this  
CTWG60

Horror stories with GSF oil or water pump?

Anybody had or know of any horror stories with these crucial engine parts from GSF?

I had a bad waterpump from ECP. For crucial parts go VAG or Vwspares.co.uk for febi items if you plan to keep the car for a few years!

recent thread on club GTI, several mk2 owners really rated the GSF oil pumps, I've had water pumps from them that are fine although for water pumps VW can sometimes be quite competetive on price.

It's not worth the risk, with trade discounts thru TPS the parts are only a couple of quid more or sometimes cheaper

Pattern water pumps don't fit very well, my mate bought a VW spares one and the casting pushed that metal plate onto the intermediate shaft and it leaked too despite being brand new!

I've had a GSF oil pump in my 16v for 40 something thousand miles.

Will probably buy a genuine one for the VR after it's rebuild though, for the warranty as much as anything. :)

Pretty sure you can find horror stories about any parts from any supplier if you ask enough people ...

Pretty sure you can find horror stories about any parts from any supplier if you ask enough people ...

And garages, and modifications, and prostitutes.

It's only really the people who get trouble who shout about it, not the hundreds of people who get decent service. Typically, someone picks up on the story and makes it loads worse, and tells all their friends etc.

If the bits were *that* bad, then they wouldn't be selling them.

A bit OT but does anyone know how much a genuine VAG VR6 oil pump is?

Im going to change mine when the charger is fitted as a precaution.

Just by the VW one.

I know what your like.

You will loose your hair if you fit the gsf one stressing about it.

:roll:

:D

Oh is that why it's falling out? I thought it was because of my wife and two young children. :D

dont buy gsf waterpumps they are shite, i went through 3 on my mk3 golt gti.... in the end i just stuck on a genuine one and it was perfect (and only s tenner more expensive)

dont buy gsf waterpumps they are ****, i went through 3 on my mk3 golt gti.... in the end i just stuck on a genuine one and it was perfect (and only s tenner more expensive)

Yes I'll be fitting a genuine item.