was8v

Alternative VR6 engine cover plastic?

12 hours ago, Dox said:

I just can't get my head around what you want to do, maybe its being locked down sending me crazy.....

You started with a donkey, stretched it to a thoroughbred, but want to label it as a zebra?

I've not even had a drink - for over 3 weeks. No offence meant.

Absolutely brilliant 😂😂😂

I think you ought to have a beer this afternoon 

As far as I’m aware early VR’s came in the same style as every other cover . Ie no colour on the cover . Mine is the first of the early VRs and the cover is not painted.

You can see on the link below you could buy one new. Not sure if it was early or came in this form in different countries. Many pictures of this trim in this colour code. 

021133286E

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/sound-abs/021133286e/

https://www.urotuning.com/products/engine-cover-with-red-vr6-lettering-and-blue-vw-mk3-12v-vr6-021133286e

45 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I wonder if it was for the Asian market ABV VR6s’ from Japan looks the same in the first photo

Good find think his car was from Japan . I have looked at all markets and there is only one part number for a Corrado VR6 engine trim and that is 021133286E'. I have seen errors and also parts that are missing off these diagrams in the past though. 

Edited by Keyo

Alright mates, I'll try to shed some lights on this! So my car is a 1995 2.9L VR6 from Japan. The "VR6 2.9 band or strip whatever it's called" is definitely looking OEM. The cover itself looking at it from underneath you can see the embossed DOHC 2.8 and the part number on the cover correspond to that as well. The strip/band was glued right over the DOHC 2.8.  I think we were not looking at the right part making the search for the cover. VW didn't do a special cover but looks like they made a special band or strip with the 2.9  for the Japanese market. I would have to unglued it from the cover to get the part number and I don't feel like doing that sorry! 

This is not the first time I see different things made OEM just for the Japanese market. I have a friend with a G60 from Japan and he has an OEM CAT switch with a red light on the dash. Only Japan got this, it's coming on if the catalytic converter gets too hot which tells you it's failing. Or look at my rubber strip under my bonnet, Japan only.

I think some modifications made by VW for the Japanese market were for different regulation Japan has. Like the CAT switch or my bonnet trim which probably bring more air under the bonnet to cool it down for their climate. In the case of that 2.9L trim/band I think it was purely esthetic and to appeal more to their market...

In comparison, I don't know if there's fly fisherman on the forum but I have a Hardy Bouglé fly reel. Hardy is the bench standard worldwide for the reel and it's made in England. They have been making that model the same way for almost 120 years. But yet, for the Japanese market they made a special run of them that were very elegant, refined and different. So rare almost no one knows about them. I think only 200 were made like 18 years ago. For some reason the Japanese market gets special things like green tea KitKat lol.

Hope this help! Cheers

PS: If someone wants to exchange their Schrick for my cover, I'll do it ha ha haa!

IMG_20200413_103929128.jpg

IMG_20200413_105156427.jpg

IMG_20200413_104004800.jpg

IMG_20200106_090754096.jpg

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing that info.

If you think about it, manufacturers like Seiko make watched just for the Japanese market, the same for high end cameras. And having been to Tokyo a couple of times, they are very particular about their cars and product exclusivity.

20 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing that info.

If you think about it, manufacturers like Seiko make watched just for the Japanese market, the same for high end cameras. And having been to Tokyo a couple of times, they are very particular about their cars and product exclusivity.

Oh absolutely, they are particular and they like exclusivity/special things. Very cool you've been there! My wife is half Japanese. 

I'm so glad I can  finally help with something because it's always you guys that are helping me out with my project! 

5 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Oh absolutely, they are particular and they like exclusivity/special things. Very cool you've been there! My wife is half Japanese. 

I'm so glad I can  finally help with something because it's always you guys that are helping me out with my project! 

Are you 100 percent your car is an ABV 2.9 mate- have you got a picture of the engine number on a sticker on the side of the block next to the airbox and fuel lines. 

Can see ABV- have you got a picture of the sticker mate if its still there. Its bizarre that they didn't just put a DOHC cover on there - I think it looks good though the red 2.9 trim. 

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Can see ABV- have you got a picture of the sticker mate if its still there. Its bizarre that they didn't just put a DOHC cover on there - I think it looks good though the red 2.9 trim. 

ABV is the 2.9 engine code. Think it being stamped on the block is a pretty certain giveaway that it is.

1 minute ago, seanl82 said:

ABV is the 2.9 engine code. Think it being stamped on the block is a pretty certain giveaway that it is.

Yep I agree with you. 

Another proof, here's a picture of the official Japanese paperwork 

IMG_20200413_125534976.jpg

I cannot see any sticker on the block but it's covered with thick oil and on a stand right now. When I start cleaning it up I'll pay attention to that. I can see more writing behind the crank pulley but can't read it all... That ABV is engraved on the block so I think it's safe to say it's legit. Anyways, other people have my cover and in the same fashion so it's not like  I'm the only one in the world who has it... 

Sure its an ABV. interesting to see the quirks of a Japanese car , your car last digits are S 1010 and mine is S 2448 so not a million miles away from each other on production. Is it fair to come to a conclusion now that these engine strips came on Japanese cars - the Japanese Yanase dealers might of even put them like UK dealers put the Storm badges on. 

Does anyone know what was the last production chassis number for a Corrado is ??? 

Edited by Keyo

Sorry the sticker is on the left side of the cam cover as looking into the engine bay- not unusual for it be missing as only a sticker. The ABV stamp though as Sean says is pretty rock solid and also accompanying documentation. 

Here, I think it's poured in concrete now lol. And yes I agree with the parallel you made with the exclusive Storm edition in the UK it's in the same line if thoughts... Cheers mate

IMG_20200413_132712071.jpg

This is the last Vin WVWZZZ50ZSK004043 , so mine is i 1595 to come off the production line last. Wonder who has the youngest one out there . Sure I think its a Storm in the VW museum and top gear did a production of it from memory. 

8 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Here, I think it's poured in concrete now lol. And yes I agree with the parallel you made with the exclusive Storm edition in the UK it's in the same line if thoughts... Cheers mate

IMG_20200413_132712071.jpg

That's the baby! 

There is a 2.8 strip decal as well that is higher on the thread I posted , so they might of stuck them to AAA engines as well.  Would be a good piece to get a 3d copy but agree wouldn't want to risk cracking it taking it off. 

Edited by Keyo

38 minutes ago, Keyo said:

That's the baby! 

There is a 2.8 strip decal as well that is higher on the thread I posted , so they might of stuck them to AAA engines as well.  Would be a good piece to get a 3d copy but agree wouldn't want to risk cracking it taking it off. 

Woohoo I'm in the club! 

You know, I never seen a strip like this on any AAA we have here, just the standard DOHC 2.8 engraved. And yes, I'm sure there a part number underneath the strip but it would be a sacrilege to remove it just to check it out.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:10 AM, Keyo said:

You can see on the link below you could buy one new. Not sure if it was early or came in this form in different countries. Many pictures of this trim in this colour code. 

021133286E

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/sound-abs/021133286e/

https://www.urotuning.com/products/engine-cover-with-red-vr6-lettering-and-blue-vw-mk3-12v-vr6-021133286e

I believe these were the last (late) versions of the cover as they were listed for the Golf and the Corrado by VW when they were still available. I bought one years ago when there were only four available, I never fitted it in the end and now lives in my loft 

7 hours ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

I believe these were the last (late) versions of the cover as they were listed for the Golf and the Corrado by VW when they were still available. I bought one years ago when there were only four available, I never fitted it in the end and now lives in my loft 

Ok Stuart interesting so the one you have is  painted  chap ?  

Cheers. 

11 hours ago, Keyo said:

Ok Stuart interesting so the one you have is  painted  chap ?  

Cheers. 

Yep it came in those colours

I bought one of these off eBay a while ago as well and exactly the same colours although not brand new, I’ll get some pics up tomorrow. 

Pretty sure the JDM Corrado came with HID fog lights as well, or they were an option. Never seen them on a car but saw a set for sale years ago for something ridiculous (at the time) like £500?

Its not just centre pins either - some of the Daiwa JDM reels that are about are absolute stunners.