Sign in to follow this  
scarlett

Back to the fold - Red valver no 3 - Nola

Yes... I'm back.... Did you all miss me? :)

Having sold my last red valver to Jim around 2 years ago I've had the Corrado 'itch' - and fate intervened when a Flash Red 2ltr 16v was left abandoned at my work a couple of weeks ago. The car had came in with another exactly the same colour and spec to have the engine taken out of it and put into the other Rado which had a dodgy engine but much better bodywork, thankfully though my boss saved the engine in the other one and kept this one in one piece and thus surpluss to owners requirements. After leaving my boss to do the haggling the car was mine for the sum total of £100, although that did include 2 pages of MOT failure sheets! So, the ugly ducklings tranformation to swan will start with an MOT, and a basic tidy up. I already have 'plans' but need to get her running reliably before anything else....

So, everyone meet Nola (I ran out of red names after having one car called Scarlett and one called Ruby... :) )

Picture110.jpg

Looking slightly better in the sunshine after a wash and bonnet polish....

Picture097.jpg

The bad bits...

Picture111.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Previous owner ran over a roundabout... :(

Picture101.jpg

Previous owner broke the key in the ignition barrel.. so having to hotwire her to move her at the mo...

Picture126.jpg

Interior is clean enough though...

Picture128.jpg

The good bits..

Picture103.jpg

Picture104.jpg

The body is straight, just a bit shabby, got a pile of reciepts inc last service being cambelt etc... She runs really nicely, smooth and quiet and the gearbox all feels good too. Engine bay is remarkably clean compared to the rest of the car.

So, started amassing a pile of parts already, needs all the brake hoses and lines for the MOT so figured I'd go braided hoses and G60 brakes, got a KR cam lying about in work I can steal, oh and a cheap-but-will-do-for-now lowering kit to use until I can afford coilies to get her on the floor...

Searching for wheels now - best bit of owning a car....

Cheers!!!

She is looking fab! No where near as bad as you described!!

We have a set of vr calipers that will go with the g60 discs you have got if you want them.

We have a set of vr calipers that will go with the g60 discs you have got if you want them.

The pics make the paint look better than it is - I will need to get her resprayed at some point, probably get the arch done first, then replace wing and bumper and have front end done then do the rest after that.... but getting her on the road in one piece with a decent drop and nice wheels will all come first.

Ta for caliper offer, had a customer give me a box of goodies the other day, in it was two painted red G60 calipers and new discs and pads... :)

Congrats Laura. Look forward to seeing this project come along :)

The pics make the paint look better than it is - I will need to get her resprayed at some point, probably get the arch done first, then replace wing and bumper and have front end done then do the rest after that.... but getting her on the road in one piece with a decent drop and nice wheels will all come first.

Ta for caliper offer, had a customer give me a box of goodies the other day, in it was two painted red G60 calipers and new discs and pads... :)

That sounds like a very good customer! :)

Nice bargin, i wanna job where you work, sounds like Corrado hand me downs are in free flow :lol:

Nice bargin, i wanna job where you work, sounds like Corrado hand me downs are in free flow :lol:

yup, they are... tis the only perk of the job though... ;)

Haha, something told me that you'd have another one at some point, I suppose the fact that it's red was the deciding factor? Looks like it could do with a couple of quids spent on it but im sure it'll come up nicely.

Got a 90mm chin spoiler if you want it Laura. Its cracked at either end (the original one off Ruby) but still pretty good shape.. free too a good home but I can't be fecked with posting it so it'd have to be collected at a show or something? :)

Got a 90mm chin spoiler if you want it Laura. Its cracked at either end (the original one off Ruby) but still pretty good shape.. free too a good home but I can't be fecked with posting it so it'd have to be collected at a show or something? :)

That would be fab mate, the one on Nola is still in one piece but its badly mangled....

You going to Inters?

Yeah - aiming to go on the Sunday, though not on the club stand - just as a regular joe. What about you?

Great. Just thinking if I have any more valver bits...

Oh! I know! How about the aluminium / leather handbrake cover I never actually got round to posting back to you?! :) Still got it, and its sitting patiently in the envelope you supplied!! Will definately bring that.

Doesn't look like a bad little project and you can't grumble at that price 8)

I also have a few bits left over if you want them - orig grill with black badge, rear number plate plinth (w/ all the clips!) + anything else I can find if of any use... I also left a KR cam at the phirm which we never got around to fitting - wonder if thats the one!?!

You deffo work at the best place in the UK to get bit's and pieces sorted and I'm sure it won't be long before the new C is looking like a stunner! Look forward to seeing this progress!

nicely done, look forward to seeing how you get on...

oh, and I'm still sorry for nicking your name :wink:

oh, and I'm still sorry for nicking your name :wink:

tis ok, you have been forgiven cos your car isn't red.... :D

thanks everyone - will keep you all updated on her progress, she will hopefully be on the road soon..... :)

well, you did say you hanging out for a seriously cheap one and £100 is about as low as it gets! great that you've finally got a project going again though even if she's not quite on her feet yet! :clap:

I'm definately long overdue to update this thread as the 'rado is on the road...!

I've got various pics of the bits that have been done over the last few months but not on this PC so I'll cut to the chase and post up the pics from the weekend with a lost of what has been done...

New windscreen

New brake pipes and flexis

Rear axle bushes

New steering column fitted

Exhaust made up from an old mk2 GTi one! Will do until I find a s/s one!

De-cat fitted

Pass side door handle and lock fixed - de-locked Passat handle fitted

Badly damaged front bumper replaced

Rear lights top tinted red - then replaced with red and clears

Front badge sprayed black

16v badges sprayed white

Spoiler sprayed white

De-wipered rear

Estorils sprayed white - not the best finish in the world but have new wheels coming in a few weeks

Old alarm ripped out

Stereo wiring repaired and head unit fitted

New gear knob and leather gaiter

As many trim pieces as I could find put back on!

Full service.

I've had most of it done at work as its a total budget build and thus I've had to wait until my Boss has had time to do most of it, hence the reason why it's taken so long to get on the road. So far, inc buying the car, and al the bits for it we are still under £500 so I am well chuffed.

Got a new set of wheels coming very soon, won't say what quite yet, and we have a suspension kit knocking about in work that i will be able to have once we have time to get it fitted and set up.

She had a coolant leak this morning so she is getting a few bits sorted today and hopefully a front engine mount as the one in there is shot and causing so much vibration I have a nasty rattle as the downpipe is hit off the body! eek! apart from that she drives well and stops well. We have found a load of bits on her that have obviously been replaced fairly recently - starter, fuel pump, both front wishbones - so she hasn't been totally neglected thankfully!

She had her first official outing this weekend at the Post 74 BBQ, the MOT had only been done earlier in the week, so Sunday morning was spent making her as pretty as possible!!! The body work is pretty crap tbh, every single panel has had paint - and bad paint at that - and the bonnet has faded to primer, both wings are faded/dented, wing mirrors faded to white, faded spoiler, pink roof - plus the replacement rear bumper I got with the car is tornado red, not flash, so she isn't the most aesthetically pleasing of 'Rados... this was her after a good wash....

Ebaypics099.jpg

Ebaypics100.jpg

note the crap 'repair' to the damaged rear arch, I sprayed over it! lol!

This is her good side...

Ebaypics102.jpg

Ebaypics103.jpg

Then I got the polish out... bonnet and wing look a bit brighter...

Ebaypics105.jpg

Decided to give the whole car a going over - this was the comparison on the roof...

Ebaypics109.jpg

Put the new rear lights on - thought these were the best to match my reda nd white theme...

Ebaypics107.jpg

All polished...

Ebaypics110.jpg

Ebaypics111.jpg

Ebaypics112.jpg

With her bra on... :) (yes, i know most of you will hate it but its not your car.... )

Ebaypics115.jpg

Ebaypics117.jpg

and lastly white spoiler... (see aforementioned comment in brackets above.. )

Ebaypics120.jpg

Ebaypics121.jpg

So, thats where we are now... still got LOADS to do but need to be patient and keep to my budget, or wait until I find the bits I need in work and can get them for nothing, lol! Going to colour code the engine a bit when I do the KR cam, need to get new wheels on and paint calipers and I'll eventually fit the G60 brakes I have. Looking for a cheap stainless exh too. Got plans for the interior too but that will have to wait until the right interior comes up at the right price. Been offered a bag of shiney bits that will make her go 'whoooooooosh' but again its all £ allowing so unsure at the moment where I'm gonna go with that.... should probably get the body sorted at some point but I don't want a full respray so will have to speak to them and see what we can and can't do.

So yeah, this is our progress so far - loads more to come..... :)