Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Advice on what to do with a screwed (low miles) VR6 engine..

Hi all..

So i've been keeping a bit of a secret for a while. I might be getting a Corrado VR6 in the next month or so - its only done 58k but it has a dark secret, in that it has some potentially bad engine problems (scored or glazed bores). That isn't absolute fact yet - if i'm lucky it might not be that bad, but i'm expecting the worst so it can only get better! I'm getting it for a good price though so I think it's worth getting and giving some TLC to turn it into a good, 100% original car.

My question really is - what course of action should I take to sort that sort of damage? I spoke to Vince @ Stealth today and he said that, basically, its an engine rebuild job and their book price for a full VR rebuild is £2,700+VAT. I don't doubt that it's worth every penny and to be honest if thats what it takes to do the car justice, i'll save like hell and do it. But are there any other options you could take? I hear that these VEGE refurbished engines are very good - what do you (and what don't you!) get for your money with one of those? How much work would be required to fit it?

Thanks.

Having looked into the same car before, I was told pretty much the same as you - the cheapest option is to wait for a lowish mileage engine (24v?) to come up and replace it, which is a shame and a suprise really with such a low mileage block :eek:

Hi all..

So i've been keeping a bit of a secret for a while. I might be getting a Corrado VR6 in the next month or so - its only done 58k but it has a dark secret, in that it has some potentially bad engine problems (scored or glazed bores). That isn't absolute fact yet - if i'm lucky it might not be that bad, but i'm expecting the worst so it can only get better! I'm getting it for a good price though so I think it's worth getting and giving some TLC to turn it into a good, 100% original car.

My question really is - what course of action should I take to sort that sort of damage? I spoke to Vince @ Stealth today and he said that, basically, its an engine rebuild job and their book price for a full VR rebuild is £2,700+VAT. I don't doubt that it's worth every penny and to be honest if thats what it takes to do the car justice, i'll save like hell and do it. But are there any other options you could take? I hear that these VEGE refurbished engines are very good - what do you (and what don't you!) get for your money with one of those? How much work would be required to fit it?

Thanks.

It really does depend how bad the damage is or not as the case may be, the real problem is that whilst you have the engine in pieces you might as well do the chains, bearings etc - get the car, get the engine out stick it on a pallet and I'll rebuild it for you instead, someone I/we know has a TPS account so genuine spares are not going to be that criminal.

Hi all..

Thanks.

It really does depend how bad the damage is or not as the case may be, the real problem is that whilst you have the engine in pieces you might as well do the chains, bearings etc - get the car, get the engine out stick it on a pallet and I'll rebuild it for you instead, someone I/we know has a TPS account so genuine spares are not going to be that criminal.

Legend :notworthy:

That is a very generous offer Yan and one that merits some serious consideration.

What would you do about the scored bores though? My knowledge of these things is poor but as that is physical damage to the block, it'd require machining.. would you have the contacts to get the block machined, etc? Would I need oversized pistons, etc or is there enough tolerance to sort that kind of damage and retain the stock pistons?

That is a very generous offer Yan and one that merits some serious consideration.

What would you do about the scored bores though? My knowledge of these things is poor but as that is physical damage to the block, it'd require machining.. would you have the contacts to get the block machined, etc? Would I need oversized pistons, etc or is there enough tolerance to sort that kind of damage and retain the stock pistons?

Dont know until its in bits really mate, a compression test will give an indication as to how bad the damage is if there is a low figure.

It may just be a case of running a bore grinding tool up and down a few times and replacing the piston rings, or it could be a slight bore machine but not one that takes it over the original limits for stock pistons.

only last week there was two OEM brand new old stock VR6 blocks with pistons for 430 delevered,both went in an hour and i bought one :D you should have bought one mate :(

I have to admit that, when Vince dropped that sort of figure I began to have second thoughts about doing this car and passing it over but I think with a bit of support like yours it could make an affordable proposition!

only last week there was two OEM brand new old stock VR6 blocks with pistons for 430 delevered,both went in an hour and i bought one

:( Thats not the sort of news I like to hear :( Damnit!

I have to admit that, when Vince dropped that sort of figure I began to have second thoughts about doing this car and passing it over but I think with a bit of support like yours it could make an affordable proposition!

Its definitely worth doing, even if it was to cost £2750 to sort out - but i'm sure you'll be able to have it on the road for allot less than that!

The reality is that it's a sub 60k mile VR6 so the rest of the car should be in bloody good condition! :)

P.S - Worth checking whether a compression test has been done, I remember it was mentioned a while back.

only last week there was two OEM brand new old stock VR6 blocks with pistons for 430 delevered,both went in an hour and i bought one

:( Thats not the sort of news I like to hear :( Damnit!

Just had a quick look at a few items, 6 new pistons direct from VAG at full price (oversize) are going to set you back about £650, thats complete with rings etc, an overbore is a job any half decent machine shop should be able to handle but to be frank I have no idea on cost.

New bottom end from VAG (exchange item and again no discount) with pistons is about £2400.

Gasket kits (block and head), chains and some tensioners, a few bearings and an oil pump bring it up to £1200ish inc VAT but that is £650 worth of new pistons and with no discount.

Really scary numbers on paper, but if I was to free myself of some of the debts I currently have and switch to a piece of crap daily driver, I could accrue that sort of cash relatively quickly - the perk of sharing a fairly affordable flat with a friend I guess!

Will wait and see what Mr Toad and Mr Dinkus say after they go visit Tom this weekend. I think ultimately i'm going to have to go on their verdict (and pictures) before I definately commit.

I did debate just sinking lots of money into my car but i'm just bored of a valver - i've owned two now. The VR has always been the elusive one and the last one I passed up I regretted immensely.

unless you are getting this as near FOC from you know who :norty:

best get one that hasn't got a screwed engine,regardless of how low miles it is.............its still at least a 13yo car so stuff will still wear out,more so with lack of use

Jim I have fitted alot of VEGE engine's and Ive never experienced any problems, they are the only recon engines that I would recommend unless ive done it myself of course :)

In fact the engine that im putting in my car is a vege unit that I fitted for a customer last year and then he smashed the car up :( but I got a cheap engine :D

The VEGE VR6's come in at around £1800 and then your got labour to fit etc, but I can give you a hand with that (for free) if you want.

This forum rules - so many generous folks around out there, really.

The VEGE option sounds seriously tempting it has to be said...

Jim, you are a massive ferret!

I wouldn't do anything until you get hold of the car and find out what the damage is. TBH, I'd probably just get on and drive it for a bit, try to find out what other foibles the car has, so , while the engine is out, you can look to sort other jobs, kind of like what I'm doing...

Will be interesting to see the car and have a bit of a poke around, but for the money, you can't really go that wrong. I'm not entirely happy with you taking myself and Pinkus's word on it, you really should grab a flight over on Saturday, and rride back with us.

Along with the other offers, I'd be more than happy to ift the engine out and pallet it up if you want.

Out of interest, can you afford to buy it and lay it up for a while? Just till you can buld the cash up to do work on it?

If it were me in this situation, I'd just try to pick up a cheap used engine, throw a set of rings in it, head gasket, head rebuild, chains, clutch, roberts your mothers brother 100k of trouble free driving.

Out of interest, can you afford to buy it and lay it up for a while? Just till you can buld the cash up to do work on it?

The current plan is - get the car from Tom, sell the valver (boo hoo), pick up a daily driver (something like a Polo, few hundred quid), give Tom all the money for the VR, then lay it up and start saving the pennies like fury so that I can fix the mofo.

FYI a TPS account gets you uber cheap prices on "consumables" but most stuff is only 10% or so discount, so nothing earth-shattering...

When you spend £4.5k a month with them (like me) you get 25% :)

Hehe well in that case, my discount should be getting better fairly soon... :norty:

If you're in no rush then have a look around for some 24V blocks and do the conversion. they should be cheaper now that the engine is not so new and the conversion appears to be none too complex for the initiated. I would set yourself a max budget and work from that, allowig for contingencies. Otherwise, costs will spiral and you'll end up to far out of pocket.

This forum rules - so many generous folks around out there, really.

The VEGE option sounds seriously tempting it has to be said...

i too can vouch for the VEGE engines and its an option definately worth considering. Picked one up in Jan cost £1998 just for the engine (exchange basis). Havent had a problem yet 6 months on. No ancillaries come with the engine, but that wont be a problem as you already have them with the old engine, fit a new water pump.

Just note that they may not have many VR engine in. They had 2 when i had ordered mine and one was sold, i dont know if you can be put on a waiting list or not. You may even get my old block if it hasnt already gone. :D

If you're in no rush then have a look around for some 24V blocks and do the conversion. they should be cheaper now that the engine is not so new and the conversion appears to be none too complex for the initiated.

One thing I should have stressed was that I want to keep the car original, so i'm not even considering 24v / R32 / 1.8T as an even remotely viable option. I have boundless respect for those engines and the people that fit them, but with Corrado's starting to dwindle I don't think I could bring myself to 'change for good' one with only 58k on it! :)