Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

New Scirocco - a girlies car

Sure there will be one at the meet in Germany mate given the size of it so i'm sure you'll get a chance!

Don't think so, unless VW financially support the event, that is.

The reactions at the launch events around the country and also in Germany have been ... shall we say subdued. After all the hype (TV adverts, billboards, on-line events, song contest, write-ups in virtually every single car mag), there were only very few dealers that actually did anything at all like invite some existing true Roccos into the showroom to promote the new one, and even at those dealers, or so it has been reported on various forums by the owners of said true Roccos, the interest (i.e. number of people turning up at the dealer showroom to look at it, or even buy one) was meagre.

The local dealer in Coventry isn't really doing anything, certainly hasn't invited any real Roccos around, then again, their showroom is a bit small for that, since they still need space inside for the regular boring VWs. Just as well, since I wouldn't want to drive my babies through wet roads and rain for such an event :lol:

It almost seems that VW has made a good qualifier round, but then left the actual race.

What's interesting though is how several pictures have confirmed what a skyscraper the new one is compared to the true Roccos, even standard ones, let alone the modded ones. You probably get a ladder with the new one to get in. Ideal for when I become 70 or so, but then I'd rather get a crane to drop myself into my Karmann Roccos ;-)

Tempest

Sure there will be one at the meet in Germany mate given the size of it so i'm sure you'll get a chance!

Don't think so, unless VW financially support the event, that is.

The reactions at the launch events around the country and also in Germany have been ... shall we say subdued. After all the hype (TV adverts, billboards, on-line events, song contest, write-ups in virtually every single car mag), there were only very few dealers that actually did anything at all like invite some existing true Roccos into the showroom to promote the new one, and even at those dealers, or so it has been reported on various forums by the owners of said true Roccos, the interest (i.e. number of people turning up at the dealer showroom to look at it, or even buy one) was meagre.

The local dealer in Coventry isn't really doing anything, certainly hasn't invited any real Roccos around, then again, their showroom is a bit small for that, since they still need space inside for the regular boring VWs. Just as well, since I wouldn't want to drive my babies through wet roads and rain for such an event :lol:

It almost seems that VW has made a good qualifier round, but then left the actual race.

What's interesting though is how several pictures have confirmed what a skyscraper the new one is compared to the true Roccos, even standard ones, let alone the modded ones. You probably get a ladder with the new one to get in. Ideal for when I become 70 or so, but then I'd rather get a crane to drop myself into my Karmann Roccos ;-)

Tempest

Confused Eric, what do you mean by real roccos, surely not old prototype ones - I'm thinking you're referring to the Corrado which is when they completed the develepment of said "Roccos" and got it right :lol:

Eric,

Judith and i were approached by Gilbert Lawton/Smith Knight Fay VW Dealership at Tatton park earlier this month and were asked if we would like to bring our cars to their New Scirocco Launce weekend.

Which we have just returned from. our cars were placed into the dealership with a very well known silver MK2 Scirocco and of course the new one and they looked mighty fine along side each other.

An article will appear on the CCGB website soon with more details and pics :clap:

Had a good drive in it too WHHHEEEEEE! I like it :grin:

I had a look around a new rocco in the local dealership yesterday, I was actually impressed - it looks much better up close IMO :)

I put a post on here a few weeks back for a dealer in London who was looking for some nice Rados and Roccos for the launch weekend, they were offering £200 worth of parts for free for those that turned up - I only had 1 enquiry! :lol: - I was really surprised when you consider how many people here 'show' their cars for free as much as they can!

Well Me & jude stung them for £140 worth of high octane anyway :lol: the first tank for the German trip :clap:

Yes, Gilbert, Lawton is one of only very few indeed dealers that actually are doing something.

Still that's only a small amount (if a handful at all) of dealers actually doing anything. You'd have expected that every single dealer would be falling over themselves to promote the new one, by inviting real Roccos, putting on some special event. I mean after all the intense promotion on TV, billboards, press, mags, you'd expect a firework sort of start of sales, wouldn't you? And every dealer, not just a handful.

And I'll ignore your cheeky comments, Bill :lol:, as it was the Mk3 Rocco aka Rado that spelt serious trouble for Karmann and VW. Also, why did it sell so badly compared to the Mk1 and Mk2? OK, that's a different story ;-)

Oh well, ine day this new one may grow on me as a daily driver :lol: An expensive one, that does not even meet future EU (2010 and current in the UK already) emission tax bands (i.e. the 0-tax band), which is vital for me should I need to buy a daily, as that's not allowed to cost a penny.

Tempest

Are you going to have a test drive in one Tempest? After a good look around one i've got to say i'm intrigued, I think i'll take one out for a spin. I wouldn't buy one new but maybe in a couple of years once the major depreciation has been lost :)

I agree totally mate, seems most dealers are just interested in i'll have one type sales rather than any coming from what i call nostalgia sales ie someone who remembers having a MK1 or MK2 Scirocco.

They were really interested in our cars too which was nice rather than oh yeah we just got some old ones in to compare with.

some of the younger staff couldn't believe how much a VR6 was when it was new

(More than the new car they were selling 13 years later) :)

I may ask my local dealer if they are interested in something similar but i know they will say no :(

Are you going to have a test drive in one Tempest? After a good look around one i've got to say i'm intrigued, I think i'll take one out for a spin. I wouldn't buy one new but maybe in a couple of years once the major depreciation has been lost :)

Loved the DSG box and flappy padals :lol:

Kip - which dealership did you show yors at - I'm presuming it was Macclesfield - nice bunch of people there, Steve the Sales Mangager is a top bloke.

Gilbert Lawton / Smith Knight Fay are now part of Inchcape but still trading under their original names because of the goodwill factor.

I offered my car to any of the Northern division Inchcape sites but everyone said that because of its colour it would probably attract more attention than the Scirocco

Kip - which dealership did you show yors at - I'm presuming it was Macclesfield - nice bunch of people there, Steve the Sales Mangager is a top bloke.

Gilbert Lawton / Smith Knight Fay are now part of Inchcape but still trading under their original names because of the goodwill factor.

I offered my car to any of the Northern division Inchcape sites but everyone said that because of its colour it would probably attract more attention than the Scirocco

Hi Mate,

Yes both Jude and I had the C's at Macclesfield, Steve was a nice chap and very much appreciated us being there.

A young chap called John Astbury sorted it out for us at tatton and he was there too and couldn't believe the milage on mine :lol:

Test Drove one on Friday!

Very quick, The Magnetic Ride Suspension works very well, the driving position is very comfortable, but you can see bugger all through the back! The seats are awesome, on the Demo the Sat Nav shat it's pants which was quite funny, didn't know where we were at all!

The boot is massive, room in the back is not bad, I could get in with not much trouble! Love the mesh round the lights, the way the VW badge is on the bonnet, makes the front end very aggressive. The liitle humps that cover the boot hinges are quite quirky and I love the angles and swage lines that seem to disappear and re-appear on the rear quarters depending on where you stand!

If I could afford one I'd have one, £500 cheaper than the equivalent golf GTI too!!!

I saw my first New Scirocco on the road today.

A very clean white version on the A417 between Gloucester and Swindon, and it looked really good as it passed.

Then a mucky blue version in Swindon, which didn't look special at all.

New Scirocco - a girlies car

I believe the Germans thought of the Corrado as a girlies car too, which is one of the (many) reasons why it didn't sell so well.

£249 / month on contract hire from VW... More details to follow...

Seems reasonable...... only downside being you can't modify it!

£249 / month on contract hire from VW... More details to follow...

Seems reasonable...... only downside being you can't modify it!

You could chip it and whack some wheels on. Who would know :wink:

I saw one in flesh last night. they're pretty cool and better looking than a golf IMO. Surprised as to how dinky they are as all pics I'd seen gave the impression they're quite large and bulky.

Surprised as to how dinky they are as all pics I'd seen gave the impression they're quite large and bulky.

They're almost exactly the same length as a MK2 Scirocco but much wider... my mate took some pics of the Press Office Scirocco I got alongside his MK2. Will try and dig em out later!

Surprised as to how dinky they are as all pics I'd seen gave the impression they're quite large and bulky.

They're almost exactly the same length as a MK2 Scirocco but much wider... my mate took some pics of the Press Office Scirocco I got alongside his MK2. Will try and dig em out later!

The mk 2 rocco is a long car for its era though Jim, bet its a darn sight lower and not as wide too :)

Weeeeeellllll, I've now seen one! :D At Goodwood. I'll be putting some pics up soon! Adn I think it looked fanatstic. It was the GT24 and not the road going one but I am so sold on it now.

GT24 looks beastly has it got R36 4M kit?

Hi Mate,

Yes both Jude and I had the C's at Macclesfield, Steve was a nice chap and very much appreciated us being there.

A young chap called John Astbury sorted it out for us at tatton and he was there too and couldn't believe the milage on mine :lol:

Don't wish to be cynical guys! [and my cup is normally at least half full] but they're all nice guys when they're selling! :D

After what I've heard recently of how dealer staff [it was a BM dealer though!] treat their stock - I wouldn't buy a used car from a main dealer ever again! :shock: