Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

lookin 4 a cheap small diesel any recomendations?

looking for a small cheap (sub 2k, but the cheaper the better), reliable 2nd hand diesel to commute to and from work etc can anyone recomend anything?

MK3 Golf...?

Think they're largely non turbo diesel so painfully slow but uber economical and MK3's are strongly built!

You should be able to get a TDi mk3 for that money these days. I paid 2.5k for mine years and years ago. Really good cars actually. For a diesel at least....

can't believe I'm going to say this, but a 306 might fit the bill,

at 2 grand you might find a mk4 golf based leon or toledo too, keeping it VAG an Octavia or Fabia is proably in that region also.

If you can bear the pace a mk4 golf SDI might come in range, but you won't be wining any prizes at the traffic light GP.

can't believe I'm going to say this, but a 306 might fit the bill,

at 2 grand you might find a mk4 golf based leon or toledo too, keeping it VAG an Octavia or Fabia is proably in that region also.

If you can bear the pace a mk4 golf SDI might come in range, but you won't be wining any prizes at the traffic light GP.

Beat me too it, a Pug 306 goes forever and are pretty cheap these days, only thing is if you get the 306 TDi, it means you'll get whooped by any half-decent 1400cc.

the peugeot is renonund as the farmers car that can handle anything and just keeps going.

i know its gonna hurt so much going at a snails pace again but sometimes its just got to be done!

the peugeot is renonund as the farmers car that can handle anything and just keeps going.

i know its gonna hurt so much going at a snails pace again but sometimes its just got to be done!

dont go for the HDI the early one's are much more economical.

I used to have an L reg XRD 1.9 non turbo and i used to get 650+ miles from a tank

The missus has a 306 1.9 TD she gets about 575-600 per tank

Hope this helps

We lurv our 1990 Pug 205 diesel.

Bomb proof engine.

50-55mpg when driven in hurried manner and up to XX mph on motorway. :wink:

You can get a newer one than ours for about £700.

Yep, the ultimate cheap car: Pug 306 TDi. ~130 lbft torque so reasonably pokey about town, 50mpg+, group FIVE insurance(!). Don't buy the HDi - much more expensive to run (not in mpg, just in servicing/repairs/insurance).

You can get an alright one for about £500, and a good one for £1k. Watch our for self-repaired bodge jobs. They're pretty easy to work on so idiots tend to do just that and bodge it up.

We got a 306 lx non turbo diesel recently and its been great, W reg, low mileage and fully loaded with climate control, auto wipers, low mileage etc for £1400. They really are a bargain, feels lightening quick compared to my works fiesta van as well, but thats not saying much. :lol:

Mk2 GTDs are fun (but hard to find a good one). Group 9 insurance though!

Cheers,

T

My Pug 205 TD was an ace commuting car. 55mpg, parts are peanuts and they're as reliable as anything. The ride is like a magic carpet too - plenty of bump eating travel! I sold my 125,000 mile car for £800 - it was bought within an hour of putting it up for sale