Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

BMW 1-Series Coupe - What does everyone think ?

Hey all,

My girlfriends mates dad works in the local BMW dealership and I got him to get me a brochure of the new BMW 1-Series coupe, after I had a 1-Series 120d as a hire car when I was in France recently (well it was only 3-quid a day more expensive than a bl**dy Peugeot 107 1-litre 3 cylinder tin-box, so would have been rude not to !). Trouble is, ever since I showed an interest in it, the dealership has been pretty KEEN shall we say, to get me in for a test-drive, or even a weekend with it, telling me all about the various finance packages, options available etc. LOL !

I think they look really nice and remind me of the old 2002 series. All of the big motoring progs, reviewers and magazines have raved about it, especially handling and engine. They are no slouch either, the 135i M-Sport (straight-six twin-turbo engined) makes the 0-62 mph in 5.2 secs and has 306 BHP and 297 ft-lbs torque (available from just 1300 rpm) as standard. It has the same engine as the 3-Series 335i M-Sport, but the 1-Series is quicker. In fact, the 1-Series is nearly as quick as the M3 due to power to weight ratio (135i M-Sport kerb-weight is 1460 kgs and e92 M3 Coupe is 1711 kgs) and costs over £22,000 less than the M3......

Think I would be having either a black or white one with red leather interior; think white looks good though with the wheels below.

1061_13515mgFBziWWzgD.jpg

I really like them. Pics don't do them justice.

They are very small inside though, but that is my only criticism!

Few of the guys at work have ordered them and they don't look bad so long as you don't get the metallic red/orange one! Black, white or grey would be nice with the red leather! The 123d isn't a slouch either with over 200hp... looks great on those wheels too 8)

Wife almost bought one as we both really like them. Opted instead for a 3 door 1 series in white. 118d M-sport. Tis very nice indeed. £35 to tax it for the year???? Yes please!

didn't like them when i saw the tv ad, but they do look much nicer in the metal!

isn't there an insanly fast one? modified i mean, ill find the vid

i like the 135i a bit small on the inside yes but my daily drive is a 120d m sport (not coupe)

and that goes well i imagine the 135 will be a lot of fun to drive as 1 series handle really well

Really great till you price 1 up with the options £32k for mine and not even top spec, then you look at the price for a normalish 3 series.

the pic of the white one is stuning, only thing is i couldnt bring myself to pay that much for a brand spanker! give it a year or 2 and get one at half the price!

I bet they're awesome to drive but the styling leaves me cold. It's not really a coupe either, it's a 3 door saloon.

I don't get the car industry at the moment, the new Rocco isn't a coupe either, it's 4 seater hatchback. Proper coupes are the 350Z, the RX8 and I guess that C class merc thing although I think they're pig ugly.

Nick

I don't get the car industry at the moment, the new Rocco isn't a coupe either, it's 4 seater hatchback.

So is the Corrado...

Have to say I quite like the 1 series coupe.

The corrado is in a way but it's very rackish like the Rocco's before it and as a coupe should be. The new Rocco has a steeper hatch than the golf!

Nick

Does the BMW 1 come with all indicators deleted/bulbs removed? and a white shirt hanging in the rear 1/4 like the rest of the range?

Does the BMW 1 come with all indicators deleted/bulbs removed? and a white shirt hanging in the rear 1/4 like the rest of the range?

:lol: Im with you on that mate! BMW has always had trouble getting the indicators to work.

Just to drag this thead back up again... I went into see BMW today and am seriously tempted by a white 120d coupe with the larger 18'' rims and sun protection glass (i.e. tinted). This will mean the LCR is going and I'll be going from 225hp down to 177hp but with rwd! Now seems to be the best time to part with the LCR though as it's just had everything put right under warranty (only small niggly things) and I've just spent a fortune on upgraded discs, pads and fluid!

Will I be dissapointed and miss the benefits of the Leon or is the right move? The pro's are better economy, newer car, fashionable colour choice and a few more toys than I have at the moment where as the cons are that I'll be leaving the VAG stable and I wont have a top of the range motor that makes me grin from ear to ear anymore...

It's a funny decision to have to make as I love the 1 series coupe and think it will look sweet in white but maybe I should stick to my guns and hold out for the the diesel rocco or passat CC!?!

I have a coupe for the day next tuesday and have booked a CC for thursday so I guess I'll have a better idea this time next week...

What would you do?

Been in a 135i convertible and it's RAPID, very rapid.

Bizarre engine. You can't feel it at all in the car, no vibrations of any kind and you wouldn't know it was turboed either, just feels like a really big, smooth engine. I prefer more of a kick from my turbo engines, but this is one good powerplant. Worth buying the car for the engine alone imo.

I have a fairly strange view on the basic BMW range which will probably offend a lot of people but it's just my opinion

7's are for people with more money then sense (unless 2nd hand in which case I'm a big fan)

5's are for men

3's are for women

...unfortunately that makes the 1's completely pointless and the ugly cheap runt of the litter. (I hate the X range even more though)

I've driven the 135 a few times and it's always a pretty average experience, awesome car but boring and not my cup of tea.

For the money I'd take a 2nd hand M5 or jag xks every day of the week and with the change buy a mint storm and a merc G-wagen, now that would be one hell of a garage compared to an odd looking little BMW depreciating on the drive.

Just my 2 pennies

What is up with the X6? That is one hideous son of Godzilla, daughter of Frankenstein putrid beast.

I hate the X series aswell because they're all bought by the same breed of people - Arrogant school run Mum's. Yeah I've got a bit of money (hubby's), can't stretch to a Range Rover, but I'm too good for an X trail.

It makes me laugh seeing those over tyred, over square boxes trying to race much smaller, lighter cars around. They're completely out of their depth.

My favouritist BMWs of all time are:-

E30 325i Tourer

Z3M Coupe

E39 M5

^^^ :lol: good points!

I like the 1 series, it looks quite nice - is it Bangle inspired? looks like it has the same 'awkward' boot as the bigger cars.

Up to you at the end of the day Phil, have you driven the Beem yet? I'd deffo go for a test drive, else you'll be kicking yourself if you get one and it turns out to be less than you hoped AND you'd already sold the Leon.