Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Purple VR6 on Ebay - Can anyone on here offer help?

I've provisionally bought this (its a looong way from me so not seen it in the flesh yet)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-corrado-1994-m ... 286.c0.m14

Looks great, phone chats and the hi res pics I've had from the owner all look great.

Miles are low and although no leather, I can sort that out late myself.

Question is its been for sale a while and despite the high price makes me have a lingering doubt on the cars quality.

Anyone here seen it, owned it or viewed with an intention of buying?

Any info (+ve or -ve) would be gratefully recieved...

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi. I don't know the car, but there's no point doubting whether its a good un or not from the pics. If hes asking 6K for it, that would explain why its not sold quick. The only way of knowing is inspecting the car unless someone on here has knowledge of the car. If it were me I would ask the owner if the car smokes, uses any oil or water before travelling a long distance to view. I would also ask for a new MOT to be put on as I see it runs out soon.

The car looks in pretty good nick from the pictures, but the seller has hardly done his best to sell the car. Just my 2p.

I don't know the car but despite the low miles that's serious money especially in todays climate. I would be looking at a similar spec'd Storm for that cash.

I have to agree, it's a lot of money for a Corrado these days and although it has nice low mileage it needs to be in MINT condition to be worth near that amount.

The advert is hardly comprehensive so i'd want to know much more before making the journey to collect it, it looks in good condition and has low mileage but unless its got masses of service history to show that all the perishable parts have been replaced (with quality parts) recently it could still cost a lot of money to get it to drive like a £6k Corrado should.

I'd be wary as with any 2nd hand car purchase, especially on Ebay! but that's not to say it's not a good car!

I'll move this into the general section where it might get more attention, it'd be nice if someone on here has any more info for you.

For that sort of cash id want a storm,leather and air con.

6k is top top money and it would have to be mint to justify that money, ie original paint, tight as a nats chuff to drive, matching quality tyres all round, not a spot of rot anywhere etc....

Got to agree with everyone else, that is alot of money for a Corrado. If I was spending £6k on one I would want a VR6 Turbo or a very low mileage Storm.

The advert is pretty crap too, Ive sold dvds and given more info than that.

Hope it is a very good one and it treats you well, get some pics up when you collect it.

And its the best colour, Blackberry :clap:

Hey m8

That is just up the road from me. Only problem is my car is in the bodyshop and I wont get it back until Wed/Thurs next week.

If you can wait that long I will go and check it out for you. And my car is pretty mint so I can compare and let you know ;)

I saw it for sale and despite the 52k i thought the asking price was quite strong. But if it is truly mint could be a good buy around the 5-5.5k mark

Let me know if I can help

Matt

At the end of the day if its not what it says it is, just walk away, 6k is a lot of money, but if its a nice car and very original and its what you want go for it

cars find their own market, the better ones always find someone willing to pay for quality, i paid just under 3k for a low mileage G60 in Feb this year (he wanted more), I bought it because it was a nice car and drove like new, i didnt look for cheap ones as i did not want to be putting a new engine or gearbox in it in 6 months time!!! if it drives nice and everythings where it should be (as i would expect on a car described as it is) then i dont see a problem, its your money mate, enjoy it

and that is a nice colour :)

Thanks for the thoughts guys...

I've asked the sseller about smoking and oil/water use and he's saying its all fine.

As the car has been stored until recently and the MOT is up in December I think I'll ask him to MOT it for me in advance so he must fix anything of significance.

He says the history is all VW and he has all receipts, though as yet I'm still to recieve pictures of the paperwork as requested.

Matt: I've agreed to go up next Saturday, but if you were able to cast an eye over it before then I'd be forever grateful - Swansea to Derbyshire is a blooming long way to be let down lol!!!

I agree that the price is high (I've agreed on 5500) but i've explained to him very clearly that I'm expecting it to be seriously high quality for that money with only the odd stone chip to contend with.

I know what you mean regarding storms etc. I've never seen the added value in the storm myself but I agree theres sense in what your all saying. What I would say is that I have a fairly flexible budget and I want to buy a truly astounding VR6 (no reiger kits please haha). I want it to be one of the best VR6s in the country so if any of you are considering a change and have a car that fits the bill then please get in touch!!!

Also thanks for moving the post Walesy!

Pete.

Id rather have no aircon, no ABS, and a supercharger, but hey thats just me :)

Well I've had some more info and more pics on the car.

Its got a pea-sized rust spot on the front pssgr wing, and a flak on the rear arch with hasnt rusted yet. Seller thinks it'll cost £150 to sort them both. I'd post pics of them up if I knew how lol!!!

Still interested but with the cost of leather its going to be around 6500 which is super top book!

What do people think?

To make it a harder choice theres a 75k mile blue Storm on the trader for the same sort of money...

Cheers.

Well I've had some more info and more pics on the car.

Its got a pea-sized rust spot on the front pssgr wing, and a flak on the rear arch with hasnt rusted yet. Seller thinks it'll cost £150 to sort them both. I'd post pics of them up if I knew how lol!!!

Still interested but with the cost of leather its going to be around 6500 which is super top book!

What do people think?

To make it a harder choice theres a 75k mile blue Storm on the trader for the same sort of money...

Cheers.

IMHO a Corrado with that sort of low milage shouldn't be showing any signs of rust unless it's had a poor repair job in the past.

surprized it's got a rust spot, for a car with that mileage. has it been left out and not garaged then. the only rust i would expect is on the origional exhaust. saying that it gives you a bit of room to bargaining on price. i would hope to see a few stone chips and blemishes in the body work as it shows it's an origional car never had an accident or resprayed.... these bits can be sorted if your serious about buying.

I would walk away personally, rust isn't a good sign and neither is the fact that he's not mentioned it before now.

Again, for the money he's asking the car needs to be in absolute MINT condition regardless of how many miles are on the clock.

TBF I dont think rust should really be an indication of mileage. My car was mint bar similar sized rust spots at 70,000 miles and was doted on. Altho admittedly it was on drive and not in garage. You have to take into account that the paint on these cars is still going to be 15 years old depite what the mileage says.

I agree if its not perfect though then walk. You also have to take into account that you could buy an older car that has had all known problems sorted. Again my car has been trouble free up to 80k but has suddenly had all the known stuff go wrong in the past 6 months! Plus as I mentioned my paint has gone, rubber trim is starting to perish etc etc need a new clutch..

So you could buy a 70k + miler car that has had big money spent on it getting it mint. For less than this one.

I would love to go and check this motor out for you, will let you know if I manage to get my car back before Thursday. Unfortunately I am off to Hull Friday night or would go and see it then.

it is a buyers market for sure though so offer him £5k you have nothing to lose.

Rust isn't an indication of mileage, but it is a sign of poor accident repair - for that sort of money i'd want absolutely no rust at all.

Rust isn't an indication of mileage, but it is a sign of poor accident repair - for that sort of money i'd want absolutely no rust at all.

There arent many C's out there that havent had rust on the edge of the front wings, or inside the arches.

Yep, that's because a lot of them have had scrapes/bumps as they're all at least 13 years old, there's also not many C's out there with such a high price tag so my point is that for £5.5K you should expect to be buying one of the rados around without any rust, they do exist (i've had plenty :oops:)

The OP wants to buy a minter and has the budget to buy one, so he shouldn't make any exceptions IMO, especially regarding bodywork/rust.

Gotta agrre with Walesy, for 6k it'd have to be MINT, not Ebay MINT, but properly MINT.

Otherwise walk away. For 6k as already said you could have the same model, albeit with higher mileage, all probs already dealt with AND a supercharger bolted on.

2p.

Sorry but that's silly money for a corrado

offer him about £4k for it, think about the cars you can buy for 6 grand these days - nothing is selling

for examplke you can pick up a very nice early S3 or TT for that kind of money, remap and you're on 260bhp

Could get a mint E36 M3 for less than that car too, could probably almost pick up an elise for just over 6.5k too