-=Kris=-

Kris' VR6...

Some great driving roads out Kingswood way too, if you know them well.

Aye!

Favourite route of mine = Turn right down that country road nr Merstham and blast it to the top of Reigate Hill, take the A217/Mad mile (obligatory oggle at Romans), then through Kingswood to Coulsdon and back home :D

Souns like there's a few of you living around my neck of the woods, I'm in Purley.

Me too :wave:

Sorry OP for the thread hijak :camp:

Did they try to steal your speedlines?

Yep... but they didn't get them thankfully!

Some great driving roads out Kingswood way too, if you know them well.

Aye!

Favourite route of mine = Turn right down that country road nr Merstham and blast it to the top of Reigate Hill, take the A217/Mad mile (obligatory oggle at Romans), then through Kingswood to Coulsdon and back home :D

yep yep! love driving there! and always have to slow for Romans! :shades:

Do you have the locking one under a 'cover'? This is why I like display a locking nut on each wheel....mostly it should stop an opportunist.

Do you have the locking one under a 'cover'? This is why I like display a locking nut on each wheel....mostly it should stop an opportunist.

nope... it was on display... the guy must just have been a moron....

nope... it was on display... the guy must just have been a moron....

I know what your thinking but it wasn't me honest...

I know what your thinking but it wasn't me honest...

:lol:

I know it was him........ I'm watching you Alex!

Ollie! i still need to take the C to you for a vallet service! 8)

Right... so i've been a spanner...

I bought a moonroof, fitted it, and decided it didn't gowith the colour of the car so i put the old one back in and it wasn't siding back... i tried to slide it manully and heard a snap.... :pukeright: :pukeleft:

So i tilted the sunroof which worked fine... Only to discover that the snap was the mechanisam that slides back and forth on the passenger side... It pushed the sunroof open to tilt, but unfortunately as it is now detatched from the slider, it will not pull it back to the closed position, so now the roof is stuck on tilt...

For those of you that have had this problem, how easy is it to replace the busted part?

i have seen this:

I had the same problem see below

Broken Side Tilted.jpg[/attachment:3dgk6c77]

I could not see a way of fixing this in the car so I purchased another cassette and overhauled it, new cables new tilt mechanism everything. What happens over time is the bracket that the spring loaded rocker sits on wears/bends up slightly so that the rocker won’t drop and lock for tilt. Most people put bigger rubber stops on so that the rocker sits lower but if the 2 pieces jam then the cable bracket snaps. The Corrado sunroof is the same one as fitted to the MK1 Golf with the addition of motor. Unfortunately the motor does not feel the jam as we would if winding a handle so it carry’s on try to move the roof until something snaps

I am afraid it’s headlining out to do this but in fairness it was not a bad job to do. Just remember that the motor has the switches in it that control the stopping positions for tilt/slide and shut so it’s important that the sunroof is in the same position as the motor thinks it’s in when it’s attached. The great thing is all the part are still available from VW. Give me a shout if you need part numbers etc :D

And sent Topaz2008 a PM for some info, but i need some advice asap...

I'm such a fool! i should have just left it! If it aint broke, don't fix it!! :censored:

Kris, I would drop the moonroof back in as temporary measure, whilst you save up for the parts to repair the original. I did mine a few years ago and to replace the cables lifters etc was about £120 with discount.

Kris, I would drop the moonroof back in as temporary measure, whilst you save up for the parts to repair the original. I did mine a few years ago and to replace the cables lifters etc was about £120 with discount.

Mate, do you happen to have part numbers? and was that price for the parts alone?

That price was for the parts alone. I don't have the parts numbers but I think there is a repair kit for each side and you will also need the two lifters (left and right). It's worth replacing all these parts to eliminate any weak links and having to do the job twice.

That price was for the parts alone. I don't have the parts numbers but I think there is a repair kit for each side and you will also need the two lifters (left and right). It's worth replacing all these parts to eliminate any weak links and having to do the job twice.

Cheers i think i'll just get that and fix it myself... i presume these things come without greese, so i'll have to purchase a tub of car spunk for it too?

Cheers i think i'll just get that and fix it myself... i presume these things come without greese, so i'll have to purchase a tub of car spunk for it too?[/quote:2011qvp5]

you need special grease for it mate, i'd ask kev. I think he has about 5 tubs of the stuff!

(and before you ask.. no i don't think you can use any old grease :( )

Cheers i think i'll just get that and fix it myself... i presume these things come without greese, so i'll have to purchase a tub of car spunk for it too?[/quote:2r9aayb3]

you need special grease for it mate, i'd ask kev. I think he has about 5 tubs of the stuff!

(and before you ask.. no i don't think you can use any old grease :( )[/quote:2r9aayb3]

Im not saying it's the right thing to do but I used bog standard grease when I did the rebuild about five or six years ago. No reported problems so far :)

Cheers i think i'll just get that and fix it myself... i presume these things come without greese, so i'll have to purchase a tub of car spunk for it too?[/quote:20ro51gk]

(and before you ask.. no i don't think you can use any old grease :( )[/quote:20ro51gk]

Yep, Toad did mention to me to speak to Kev about his special spunk...

Got the part numbers too now... :)

You may find that vag no longer make it. Remember reading something about it on here. There was talk of trying to find an alternative but that conversation didn't go anywhere

Thought i'd bring this thread back from the dead... i need to prep the car for a euro trip in June... work to be done! :)

We all hate rust... so i've decided to get the cancerous metal eating scum cut out... work has already begun! :)