Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Is your Corrado the most unreliable car you've ever owned?

Well not sure if this comment is linked to reliability.... maybe..... but as an example of how good the old corrado can be.

Last night I filled mine up with fuel, did the usual calculations and it's done 25.6mpg over the last tank. Not overly impressive but not bad for a car with 135k on the clock, original chains, dodgy clutch, a fondness for oil consumption, and included in the last tank was a 60mile blast, at pace, around Snetterton a few weeks ago.

Its the only car i ever owned and until now it always started, unlike my parents old bangers. in two years the only thing was the cv joint. Shame the head gasket gone, i expect a good ass raping from vw now! kill me!!!!! May have to start looking for another one!!!!!

Best car I have owned

So what things snap off , switches break ,sunroofs jam , it still makes me grin I don't see any other raddos at this time of year and mine gets me to work ,starts on the nail .

maybe some are no good at fixing stuff , I got a headlight switch kit from daves had that fixed in 40 minutes and back in the car working on and off :) not just on .

Raddoman

good topic, i've been thinking the the same recently with my current idling and running issues.

My car started to stall a few months back so i spent about £300 on (plugs, leads, MAF, ISV, air box etc) and finally then replaced the lamba probe, all seems ok so far, after one long run.

But i seem to be having to get more 2nd hand parts or replace bits and bobs, and once one thing is done, its then another thing that needs fixing.

I think during this year i've had about 2 months where i've not had to spend any money apart from petrol, the rest of the time it's either been at the garage being fixed or i've used it for short journeys.

BUT....it is a 14 yr old car, so you need to ask yourself, how do other 14 yr old cars compare to corrados?

I think that with age, anything will start to break down and become less reliable.

But with the problems my corrado gives me, it has NEVER EVER let me down once with starting, ive owned the car 2 and half years and it has started first time, every time.

And would i sell my corrado because of these faults......

NO WAY! I love it!! :D

Depends what you mean by unreliable... I've had cars that have broken down (i.e. will not go) more often, the rado has only ever failed me once - it needed a new starter motor. That said the corrado is the only car that has always needed something doing! :lol:

Not at all! The Corrado is one of the most mechanically sound cars I've owned considering its my daily driver, the only thing that seems a bit dodgy is the sunroof, but that (somehow?!) seems to be heat related and I'll get it fixed nearer the summer months.

For the record, although it was the best car I've owned, even new cars, the worst car for reliability was my Renault 5 GT Turbo (Phase II).

I managed to break the sun roof on mine on the way home from buying it :-( then I discovered the Jammed shut release valve on the oil pump and the fact the front bumper was cable-tied on underneath.... Gurrrr!!

Not long after that I suffered from the dreaded G60 Variable crank timing ™ issue, had to replace all the petrol hoses, water hoses, ECU Relay, ignition switch, bonnet release cable....

And so on, anyway the point is that although I didnt budget or expect to have to deal with all of this it has never left me at the side of the road and all of the above was the result of the previous owner being a complete arsehole and not knowing "a service" from a kick in the balls! Thank god he has gone back to Rice!

My car had until recently been sitting in Uncle Tom's barn for about 6 months when I turned up in early December and after charging the battery drove it from Winchester to Plymouth and then back up to Portsmouth without any problems what so ever! :-)

My car had until recently been sitting in Uncle Tom's barn for about 6 months when I turned up in early December and after charging the battery drove it from Winchester to Plymouth and then back up to Portsmouth without any problems what so ever! :-)

Glad she behaved :)

Looking forward to seeing the G once it's back from DTS. :)

Your not the only one..... I cant wait to pick her up, just waiting on that call now :clap: then I will have a Corrado that is all one colour insted of three slighly different shades of green :lol:

G60 FOR 15YRS, AMAZING CAR, 1 NEW BACKBOX ON EXAUST, A COUPLE OF WHEEL BEARINGS, FRONT STRUT BEARINGS REPLACED, DOOR HANDLES REPLACED A COUPLE OF TIMES, NEW BATTERY EVERY 4 YRS, VERY VERY RELIABLE!

Had my valver for 7 years, 90,000 miles starts 1st time every time ! Done 2 head gaskets snappeda rear shock, 1 clutch, 1 rebuilt gearbox, upteen exhausts,(until i put a magnex on) 3 waterpumps,4 door handles,3 windscreens

Interior retrimmedin leather,30mm adjustable suspension, hi-spec big brakes,

I am more in love with it now, then when i first bought it,driven every day,

Had my valver for 7 years, 90,000 miles starts 1st time every time ! Done 2 head gaskets snappeda rear shock, 1 clutch, 1 rebuilt gearbox, upteen exhausts,(until i put a magnex on) 3 waterpumps,4 door handles,3 windscreens

Interior retrimmedin leather,30mm adjustable suspension, hi-spec big brakes,

I am more in love with it now, then when i first bought it,driven every day,

Good drills dude! I'm impressed. I wish I could do all that work to my car myself.

Ive held off posting this because in prospective, to date, my car has cost me very little.

Ive had her over 3 years, and apart from initial coolant issues where I changed radiator, coolant pump, and aux coolant pump, heater matrix then a full set of samco's. I have had very few other problems that cannot be attributed to wear and tear of a 15 year old car.

bought my first rado last summer just for weekends. Literally the first dozen times i drove it something different broke! However thats exactly what i wanted in a car. It so boring driving a company car everyday never being able to scratch that tinkering itch. Its been reliable since though so looking towards restoration now rather than repairs role on the summer!

i started to write a list of all the parts that i've had or had to change myself on corrado

CHASSIS & DRIVETRAIN (FRONT):

Top mounts – Twice (VAG) - £60

Offside wishbone (VAG) - £75

Nearside wishbone – Twice (VAG) - £150

Lower Ball Joints (pair) (VAG)

ARB Drop links (VAG)

Track Rods + Ends (pair) - £110

Front wheel bearings (VAG)

Steering rack gaiters (VAG)

CHASSIS & DRIVETRAIN (REAR):

Powerflex rear axle bushes, + fixings - £60

Rear wheel bearings (VAG) - £40

SUSPENSION:

Weitec Ultra GT lowering kit (1st ) - £357

Pi lowering springs (2nd ) - £90

KW Variant 1 coil overs (3rd & current) - £570

Front Bumpstops & Covers (VAG)

Rear Bumpstops & Covers (VAG)

ENGINE:

Coolant Hose, Block to heater (VAG) - £55

Samco coolant hoses & Stainless clips - £240

Gruvenparts radiator neck - £40

Gruvenparts crack pipe - £70

Coil pack - £75

HT leads - £90

Radiator (VAG) - £188

Thermostat & Housing (VAG)

BRAKING SYSTEM:

Front nearside brake caliper 280mm (VAG) - £70

Front Caliper upgrade - 288mm (VAG) - £65

Front Discs & Pads - 288mm (Brembo) - £70

Rear Brake Caliper upgrade - Mk4 Golf (VAG) - £187

Rear Discs & Pads (Brembo) - £60

Goodridge Braided brake hoses all round (6no.) - £65

All brake pipes replaced

Handbrake cables (VAG)

MISC:

Audi TT wiper arms & Aero Wipers (VAG) - £105

Headlamp Protectors - £30

Headlamp Lens (VAG) - £30

FK De-badged front grill - £30

Leather Gear knob (VAG) - £25

Pedal Rubbers (VAG) - £13

Original Speedline Alloys refurbished

Offside Front Foglight (VAG) - £70

All exterior badges replaced

Set of wheel nut covers

Clear Side repeaters

Roof aerial gasket

Headlamp Switch & Wiring loom (VAG) - £60

Bonnet release cable (VAG)

Subframe bolts renewed (VAG)

BMC cda Air induction kit - £90

Mine is finally running perfectly after having spent about 3 of the last 7 months in the garage,(new immobiliser unit, ECU, Fuel pump and filter) Starter motor went a few months ago as well but did that myself. Was really thinking about changing it for something more reliable.

I've done two 160 mile round trips in the last 4 days I've got a big grin on my face now, I've totally fallen in love with it again, luckily it hasn't rained though as the wipers only work on max speed! Not the relay, so got some new stalks on the way.

Oh and the windscreen leaks but I'll get that sorted on the insurance.

My VR spend the first few weeks stamping its authority (ignition switch, distributor cap...twice, central locking), but we seem to be getting on better now! Not yet had any major catastrophic failures (Hi fate, how are you :D ) but I'm avoiding that by having a dicky headlight switch that sometimes turns the instrument lights on and a random loose connection in the headlight loom.

Constant small niggles will hopefully keep major problems away...

This was not the case with my 1.8 valver though which had some major issues (alarm, immobiliser, engine, bonnet cable, headlights.....you name it).

Cheers,

Tom

I'm happy with my nearly, 19 year old 1990 valver :clap: .

I've done 103,000 miles in just over ten years, had to sort a few bits, gearbox seals, suspension, water pump, pre-ignition amp, spoiler to do! It's now got 182,000 on the clock and my only other car,

Renault 19, 1.4 Energy(!) blew up at 112,419 miles, aged 9 years :wink: .

Enough said :luvlove: :luvlove: :luvlove:

No mine isnt the most unreliable car I have ever owned because I did own a french car once! :( Learnt from my mistakes and after moving through an MG ZR 1.4 to a Mk4 Golf 1.6 16V and then a Mk2 Golf GTI 8V I have happily found a Corrado G60 that hasnt caused me any probelms yet! TOUCH WOOD :scratch:

I would try a Volvo 480 to take the title

Boyfriends 480 has been off the road after 13 months - Started off 'just' replacing the clutch (engine out), this is after paying a garage to replace one clutch already and it breaking 3 clutch cables.

Anyway was only going to take him a few weekends to sort out apparently, then everything else seems to need replacing! ah well it keeps him amused :lol:

My renault 5 turbo was the most unreliable car i have ever owned...i must have done 10 headgaskets 4 turbos and two engine rebuild in one year! It was fun while it worked :tongue:

All my VW are reliable,but im a mechanic and always under the hood ect playing with things sorting this and that out so it would never get to the point of letting me down.

My renault 5 turbo was the most unreliable car i have ever owned...i must have done 10 headgaskets 4 turbos and two engine rebuild in one year! It was fun while it worked :tongue:

Same here...loved that little car though! It used to try to kill me mid-corner all the time. :cuckoo:

my corrado was quite bad: being 2 engine mounts, one distributer, one rocker cover gasket, 2 sets of rear wheel bearings, one fuel pump, one pair of rear calipers, on hand brake, various interior bits etc but ive just bought a bmw 318is coupe and that seems to be trying my patience already, ive just had to put a coil pack and a set of leads on it costing £160 ive only had it a month

I've only owned my Storm since about April last year but it hasn't given me any trouble at all. Had it fully serviced and checked over by The Phirm in September though so that may contribute to its good health, only hope it stays as reliable when the charger goes in!!!