Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

After 2 years away, I've just bought back my Corrado

Yesterday I bought the Corrado back :clap:

It's in a sorry state - won't even hold coolant as one of the core plugs is leaking at the back of the block. Also needs a heater matrix, and then I can run it up and find out if there is any further damage to the engine.

The sunroof is broken, and there are a few stickers on it, oh and the VW badge on the grill is brush painted red, and it has a stick on chrome G on the back, the owner wanted it to be a GTI, but the T and I fell off.

The interior is very dirty, and finally there are a few bits of bodywork which need sorting.

This is going to be a long project to bring it back to how it should be, but I'm so chuffed to have it back :D

Awesome, welcome back - I can remember you selling it too!

How come you ended up buying it back then?

My signature and avatar are photos of it, I'll try and upload some showing its current condition.

Walesy, thanks for the welcome :wink:

Since selling it I have really missed it, and regreted letting it go. I originaly sold it to a mate, but he quickly sold it on to somone else who lives locally to me. I've tried several times over the last 6 months to get it back, but had until yesterday been unsuccesful. Yesterday I got a text saying it is for sale and a quick sale is needed, so I got the cash from every source I could find and went and bought it back straight away.

My mate towed me back using my Golf, and even just being towed was a great feeling, although I kept feeling like I want to bang it into 2nd and floor it past.

They're funny old cars aren't they, they really grab you by the balls! once you've had a decent one you'll never quite get the same feeling from owning another car.

Welcome back :) Really glad to hear you got your car back, even if it's going to be some major work to un-ruin it! Look forward to seeing progress :)

nice one. Great story mate. ''their funny old cars''. Agree big time with that.

This gets me thinking, I must check in on the Doctor I sold my green VR to back in Feb now I'm (fingers crossed) back on the look out :D I used to drive, quite literaly out've my way! to just grab a peek where he had it parked up during work. Ain't been by for months, and last time it was'nt there, Maybe it's gone :(

Man, I miss not having a C! It's the silly little things isn't it?

Like after start up watching the Temp. reading creep up to 84! as you cruise along slowly anticipating the first surge :lol: and as your sat there letting everyone roll past , you see people checking it out!

Wondering why the sporty looking car is going so slow...Just give it time.....82,83....84 :wave:

Right, that's it!!! www.autotrader :clap: :clap:

There is definately something about them that makes you want to always own one.

Thanks for the welcomes.

At lunchtime I bought a new heater matrix, thermostat, core plugs and anti freeze.

I'll fit these and fill up with water and run it up, and look for more leaks. If all is well, it will get a major flush through and fresh water/anti freeze mix.

I Still cannot beleive it is back :)

Congratulations mate. As everyone is saying these cars have something about them that I dont think you can get from driving other cars. Glad you have got it back and hope you can get it running again without too much expense! :D

And so it begins all over again........................... :D

Congratulations buddy. I sold mine and bought it back again a while ago, I wonder how many others there are who have done the same? :D

Yet more proof that i am never going to escape the clutches of corrado ownership!

God dammit

I think Karmann must have put something addictive in the interior glues they used or something - it's the only explanation for the allure of the damn things!

Welcome back to Corrado ownership!!

I think the same, I dont think I could ever be without a Corrado now it has got under my skin.

Dont ever want to sell mine

welcome back mate. looks like it was a real nice piece when you had it, shame its gone into a state but gives you something to keep you occupied!

Sooo many welcome messages, thqank-you :grin:

The first thing that made me like Corrados was the styling. I was already into Veedubs, having owned a Mk1 Polo, Mk2 Polo and a Mk1 Golf GTI, but I wanted something a little more refined and special - The C fitted the bill perfectly, however I could not afford one and ended up buying a 1990 Mk2 GTI 8v, which I kept for 5 years, and it was great, but still not a C.

Eventually I bought the Green 16v and brought it up to the standard I wanted. During my first 5 years of ownership I rebuilt practically everything except the gearbox, and the whole exterior was repaired and painted apart from the roof. I fitted G60 280mm front brakes, FK suspension, Poly bushes everywhere possible at the front, new oem rear beam bushes, Audioscape sub, amp and high quality 5 1/4" components up front, uprated headlamp loom, oil pressure and volt console gauge pod, lightened flywheel, KR inlet cam, flowed head and matched flowed inlet and exhaust manifolds, Magnex exhaust, very rare Azev H wheels, goodridge flexy brake hoses - the list goes on and on.

Whilst I owned it, I learned how good a well set up C is to drive, and enjoyed having something different to the average car on the road, I see more Ferraris on the road than Corrados, so they are very individaul.

All this fun, individuality and style combined with simple MK2 Golf mechanicals is a very good alround package I guess, plus it is far far cheaper than a Ferrari.

I plan to keep my Mk4 GTI, which I sold the Corrado to fund, it is a very capable car, with a better quality interior, better performance - mine has dbw throttle and a KO3s turbo and Revo stage 1, and more refinement, but it does not have that special appeal or X factor that the Corrado has.

I still can't quite beleive I have it back again :cheers:

Welcome back mate, it's like the script for a disney film based on the Corrado! :lol:

I often wonder what has happened to a few of the cars I've had and wished I'd never sold. I must admit that even with all its issues I'd find it very hard to part with mine so I completely understand you buying it back.

Wasn't it Mr Wire who said something like, 'Once you've had one, then sold it, you'll want another. So save yourself the bother and just keep it!' ?

I just returned from a 3 1/2 week holiday yesterday and drove my car out of the garage this morning - started first time.

As I walked back from locking the garage, I felt the love for my car and grinned. I just hope none of my neighbours observed this - or I will get ripped for weeks.

I will too be buying a new car this year, but already no I will be keeping the Corrado. I would only regret selling it and frankly could not bear to see anyone else driving it - well apart from Jim and one or two others, when the time does come to move it on. That won't be for a while yet though.

Very happy to have a good drive around today.

Welcome back Phil - not surprised you returned :)

Nice one, I reckon there are a few out there that would do the same, my first Corrado only lasted 3 days before someone went into the back of me. However the second G60 was ace, sold it as I was moving house. Given a chance I would have it back, even checked a HPI text check to see if it is still about, and it is! Don't know who has it though :(

Thankfully got a VR6 I am doing up with my mate which will be for sale in a while, it is drivable so it could take a long long time to complete as I keep saying to take our time :D

Thankfully still got my first Mk2, 8 years on and will be on the receiving end of a G60 when I get the time to complete it. I will never part with that car!

Things moved on at the weekend. I managed to change the leaking core plug, which looks like it was damaged when originaly fitted. The area where the hole is looks like its been chipped or warn down, the rest of the plug was perfect, so I only replaced that one, as they are a nightmare to do with the engine in. I also did a compression test, even when cold it was excellent, all 4 cylinders between 13 and 13.5 bar - not bad for 200k miles.

Next job is to remove the steel panel under the radiator which is really rusty. I'm going to get it shot blasted and powdercoated or repainted.

After that, I need to change the heater matrix.

Oh and I've also won a JL Audio sub on ebay to fit the Audioscape box I fitted. The person I bought it back off replaced the JL sub with a Vibe sub which is too larger diameter to fit the box correctly.