Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Tell me something (VAG) I don't know....

OK, so you if you can keep it VAG related that would be good...lets have your little known car facts.

I'll start off...

Did you know Volkswagen have their own bank and personal sort code in the UK? Its based out of Milton Keynes.

The town of Wolfsburg changed it's name to Golfsburg for a week to celebrate the Mk5 golf's release!

It also didn't exist before 1938... and twinned with Luton! :gag: :lol:

Did you know the president of Volkswagen Europe regularly scratches his back with the 22mm spanner that was used to tighten the wheel bolts on the 1962 Monte Carlo Rally winner's car?

Did you know the president of Volkswagen Europe regularly scratches his back with the 22mm spanner that was used to tighten the wheel bolts on the 1962 Monte Carlo Rally winner's car?

I'm scratching my head with the same spanner :)

Did you know that the last elephant that was killed by a road traffic accident with a volkswagen was called "Boris"? He had escaped from a zoo in Delhi and was hit by a diesel Lupo when crossing the road. While dazed, he crushed an old morris minor into the shape of a Peugeot 206 before passing out and dying.

Keep the trivia coming! Tho I know the 206 is ripped off from an ad I still lolled.

On the timeline of VW history on the official website there is no mention of the Corrado whatsoever. Its like they're in denial man....considering they brought it out on the 50th anniversary of VW too!

On the timeline of VW history on the official website there is no mention of the Corrado whatsoever. Its like they're in denial man....considering they brought it out on the 50th anniversary of VW too!

"Now i wonder why that could be" he said whilst dismantling the dash board of his Corrado to make his way toward the confounded leaking heater matrix.

Anyhew.....here's my bit of news/trivia for those that don't know:-

Remember Volkswagen's 'one-litre' car, capable of one litre per 100km, or a scarcely credible 282mpg? Well VW has approved top-secret plans to build the limited-edition fuel miser in 2010, CAR Online can reveal. The tiny, grey cigar-shaped curiosity was a triumphal hit at the 2002 annual meeting in Hamburg and now – finally – it's heading for production.

At the time the chairman of VW's supervisory board predicted that the super-economical two-seater would go into production as soon as the cost of the carbonfibre monocoque dropped from £28,000 to £4000 which he estimated would happen in 2012. Now the VW 1L will hit the market two years ahead of schedule, in 2010.

Somewhat surprisingly, the basic vehicle concept of the one-litre VW (pictured) hasn't changed that much over the past six years. To keep the frontal area as small as possible, the passenger still sits behind the driver. To ensure optimum structural rigidity, the aircraft-style canopy door concept will also be retained. Very Top Gun.

Volkswagen-gives-green-light-to-one-litre-eco-car-19112.jpg

Volkswagen-gives-green-light-to-one-litre-eco-car-19113.jpg

Oh...and they (VW) are also planning to build and sell a pick up truck in 2010 which will be called the "Robust".

Lets hope they get it right and don't leave themselves wide open to the mercy of the trade discriptions act :lol:

Here's a video of the moc up that's been seen driving around:-

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=vw+robust&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

and here's a pic of what the finished item will look like:-

37713.png

Production of the Beetle eventually got under way due to Major Ivan Hurst who set up production following the end of the Second World War. The Beetle was offered to the UK as part of war reparations and they declined as they felt it would not be successful. Only 640 Beetles were produced during the war, by March 1946, Hurst had managed to get another 360 built and by 1948, the 30,000th Beetle had been built.

Didn't they do a partnership with Toyota and produce a Hilux copy?

I believe they did in the 1990's and it was called the "Taro"

The first VW Tuareg off the production line was bought by Marlboro Cigarettes and used as a massive cigarette tester. They found that the big TDi engine was ideally suited for use as an air pump, sucking air through up to 250 burning cigarettes at the same time! It was also cheaper than other industrial pumps and did more "cigs per gallon".

The emissions were found to be no worse than normal cigarette smoke.

The first VW Tuareg off the production line was bought by Marlboro Cigarettes and used as a massive cigarette tester. They found that the big TDi engine was ideally suited for use as an air pump, sucking air through up to 250 burning cigarettes at the same time! It was also cheaper than other industrial pumps and did more "cigs per gallon".

Dubious.

The Beetle is the best selling single model car with over 21.5 million sold between 1938 and 2003. The Toyota Corolla has sold more units but has gone through many generations.

Ferdinand Porsche essentially stole the design of the Beetle from Czechoslovakian car manufacturer Tatra, who launched a lawsuit. This was put on hiatus when Germany launched an offensive against Czechoslovakia. It seems only war will stop lawyers. :lol: After the war, the lawyers crawled back out of the woodwork and VW paid Tatra 3 million deutschmarks in compensation.

(i knew the first fact but stole the second from wikipedia so you never know, it could be tripe!)

did you know the colour of my vr6 is blackberry............. :cuckoo:

i do know that!

i also know its in the bodyshop getting painted...

now tell me something i don't know! :p :D

i must go to bed, i've had a few and am feeling argumental lol

The first 16 valve golf sold by vw was a mk1 known as the 16S. The 'S' stands for soupapes(sp) which means 'valves' in french, it was Vw France that marketed them along with development from oetinger. They were 1600cc and around 138 brake horse! 8)

A pretty damn rare mk1 now...forget the 'campaign' which is basically just a run out of the hard top mk1.

I had the rare optional lower boot spoiler from one with the 16S badge and all, but it ended up in the bin years ago :(

Neil.

Dubious.

"[ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]"

You decide. ;)

Ferdinand Porsche essentially stole the design of the Beetle from Czechoslovakian car manufacturer Tatra, who launched a lawsuit. This was put on hiatus when Germany launched an offensive against Czechoslovakia. It seems only war will stop lawyers. :lol: After the war, the lawyers crawled back out of the woodwork and VW paid Tatra 3 million deutschmarks in compensation.

(i knew the first fact but stole the second from wikipedia so you never know, it could be tripe!)

Being a Tatra fan/nerd/owner, I can assure you that the Wiki in this case does not lie. :salute:

(Wikipedia entries for other subjects may be less factual on that gounds that several of us in our office send edits to Wiki in the event of an office dispute and than use the entry to 'sell' our version of the truth to the unsuspecting. It can be fun when it rains.)

Dubious.

"[ WARNING: the above message may contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]"

You decide. ;)[/quote:20edl7da]

:lol: You may as well change that to "[ WARNING: the above message DOES contain irony, sarcasm and outright lies. ]"! :lol: Were you no the one that told me I was growing bald because I was getting taller and poking out through the top of my hair? Well, after hours of research and many sleepless nights contemplating this theory I have come to the conclusion that you were having me on! :bad-words:

My car documents declare my car to be blue...however its purple! :scratch:

That's because of another little known fact about Karmann Coachworks. In Osnabruck 95% Of the population carry the recessive gene for colourblindess of the type that causes a person to see purple as blue. :scratch: :salute: :grin:

dr_mat told me that one by the way....

Its not a fact as such, just a picture of the head designer of the Corrado, I forget his name, looking under the bonnet of a new Scirocco and scratching his head. Funny. :D "Why did they use so much plastic?"

DSC00186.jpg