fla

Aqua blue pearl VR - p.34 bonnet cable repair

cheers for the comments guys - it still needs lots of small bits doing like the leather, for example, plus my obsession with eliminating rattles. Just a few small jobs done recently, replaced the drivers weather seal. Some pics below. The new seal (courtesy Chris :wave: ) has really cleaned up the side. Made sure i gave the channel a good polish before fitting.

I also removed the roof lining and beige trims, and gave them all a clean. Roof lining was tricky, but i've got a spare i might cover in Alcantara when i get the time. Put some 5mm neoprene padding in the front A posts before refitting them around the windscreen frame. I also stuck some felt on the roof liner and used loads of foam in strategic areas. Road noise has definitely been reduced, so i would stroingly advise this to anyone before chucking in loads of Damplifier. I did stick a section of Damplifier to the rear exposed portion of the roof though. Sorry no pics, i just wanted to finish it all off quickly.

Just waiting to send my new springs off to the powder coaters and then swop them on to the car... they're yellow but i'll get them done red i think.

fitted the 'new' springs today (just the fronts, will be doing the rears hopefully tomorrow. Springs colour changed from yellow to red from the powder coaters

Spent a few hours sanding and buffing up the tt comps, not show standard but ok enough. Car needs a good clean and polish with the rubbers and seals needing moisturising, including the tyre walls.

Looking very tasty there Fla, takes some amount of hours to do these wheels. I've kept mine on all winter, now the big brakes are fitted I'll be having to keep them on all year without fail! What polish and/ or wax do you use? I'm happy with Autoglym Super Resin and Collinite 476 hard wax.

Your hard work on the car is certainly paying off, nice mate.

@8vmatt - many thanks :salute: , but nothing compared to its twin (ie yours!). I used some 180 grade and then 300 grade sandblaster (the foam backed one). Then on with the polishing mops - the coarse one to even things out (with the grey polish bar), then green then blue. I normally use alu belgom, but haventdone it yet. It'll get a proper hand polish after the car is washed next time.

@Zak - ride is really very good and thats just changing the fronts over. Slightly more roll than the Pi springs, which did make it handle very well, and very comfortable, for an old fogey like me thats important. In fact better than standard and thats with the 17s on them. with the speedies it was even better, so you'll have to come over and try it out.

LOL, such an old man i swear.. :lol:

U mentioned a gearshift weight, what does it do exactly?

Looks tasty on the comps!

Re fitting the new weather seal, are they bonded on or just a push fit? Got this to do on my pass side soon...

Cheers. Matt.

LOL, such an old man i swear.. :lol:

U mentioned a gearshift weight, what does it do exactly?

cheeky monkey :D

Gearshift weight sits on top of the selecor cables on the gearbox. Just assists with gear change by providing an additional turning moment so the gearchange feels lighter and more precise.

Looks tasty on the comps!

Re fitting the new weather seal, are they bonded on or just a push fit? Got this to do on my pass side soon...

Cheers. Matt.

Cheers Matt. I just used some washig up liquid and carefully pressed the seal into place. need to take your time and use the base of the palm of your hands so pressure is even and controlled. I dont know if it should actually be bonded in?

love the tt comps mate, think it looks really well on those :D

cheers Phil. lots of little things to do on it, now i want to cover the whole damn car in Alcantara!

new HU repaired and installed. Night pics look a bit crap - looks nicer in the flesh. Relocated the parrot to the cubby hole using a piece of Velcro. The loom from the HU was sooooo long that some had to be wrapped up behind the dash; so i have a few new rattles :( want to do the brakes, cams and a couple of seals before Ramadan, starting next week. Then i wont have any energy to do anything remotely heavy or awkward on the car :lol:

Looks good man, ive reverted to an oldschool kenwood unit! I want those Genny 6x9s off u but have no spare cash right now...

What is this mention of Cams? Tell me more? Is my Vr going to be the slowest of the pack?

(Abdul runs to look for his credit card :lol: )

cams are 264s which should hopefully give it better poke low down, after a good remap. Might be slightly more powerful, but it'll have better power delivery. Similar in performance to Zaks, although he has 263s :D

cams are 264s which should hopefully give it better poke low down, after a good remap. Might be slightly more powerful, but it'll have better power delivery. Similar in performance to Zaks, although he has 263s :D

Are they the autotech cams? How much they set u back? I want some crazy cams, heard you can get 284's lol, 7.5k rev limit anyone? :lol: I doubt my 153k engine will like being revved so much though!

no these are newman road cams.

Have you got any details of where they can be bought from etc? Sound good.

Where did you get the glass rod? Can you find me? Corrado also has three of them part of istanbul and am having difficulty in finding highly ty :)

do excuse me kingoftheboss, i'm not sure i understand what you mean by glass rod? perhaps you could give me a description of where it is in the car?

no these are newman road cams.

Have you got any details of where they can be bought from etc? Sound good.

bought them from a friend, but you can get them from here:

http://www.newman-cams.com/pdf/volkswagen.pdf

mine are the PH1 ones.

i guess from the dealers?

Did some de-rattling (again) this afternoon. The clip for the aerial connector that goes into the roof inside the roof liner had come off and i dont have a spare so just cut a slot in a square piece of foam and slid it around the cable. also removed the rear quarter panel, replaced the panel clips and stuck down some of the loose cables there, dont know what they are tbh, though.

The ca post hides the drain pipes from the sunroof and these hit on the frame so unclipped these and stuck some self adhesive felt there. Just need to try it out now to locate the next rattle!

strangely the drivers side doesnt have this noise.

I also lost my reverse lights which turned out to be a loose connection at the fusebox end, in fact behind relay 150. The solderd joint had broken off so i used a connector to hold the wires together and wrapped it with some self amalgamating tape.

finally got around to stripping the 288 calipers down (only had them for 3 years!) to bare metal, then a good coat of hammerite. (just the one, the other needs to be done) The previous owner had painted them red and i had put some hammerite on top when i go them, so thwo layers to get rid of. Some nitromors, and a wire brush in the drill and its prety much gone.

The seals had some red paint on them so this was peeled off by hand. Both seals were cleaned up. I'll need to bast some air through them to make sure all the crud is out of there. Pistons are also in good nick. Bolts had to be rubbed down slightly. Boots were cleaned and oiled lightly.

The carriers are going to the powder coaters.

Will post some new pics shortly, although i didnt take any during the stripping of the paint :(

one of the calipers - put it onto some card to cure by the boiler before the paint was totally dry so some paper has got stuck to the three sitting points. Basically stripped back to bare metal with Nitromors, cleaned the remaiing crud with a wire wheel and then a coat of hammerite smooth. The guide pins have been cleaned and polished and the seals and guide pin boots have been removed, dried and ready for a refit.

Other than that, i just got the car back from getting the bumnpers redone and they've painted them the wrong colour! I've not paid them so it'll have to go back again. Will post some pics later today. Looks ridiculous - my son even commented on the 'different look'. Great :(

Mate, I just read your build thread, Dude, its fcukin awesome.. What have'nt you done...

How much more is there to do...???

:notworthy: :clap:

Mate, I just read your build thread, Dude, its fcukin awesome.. What have'nt you done...

How much more is there to do...???

:notworthy: :clap:

thanks for teh kind words. There's LOADS to do atm, its getting a bit of a hammering right now up and down the M1 and no time to clean and polish. Plus the rattles and noiseproofing - my general obsession - need to be sorted. I'll hopefully come to the next meet, it would be good to see some other local vws.