easypops

My VR6 and Storm

You must have the patience of a saint! Never seem to shy away from a corrado task.

Good on ya!

You must have the patience of a saint! Never seem to shy away from a corrado task.

Good on ya!

It's all good fun mate, I plan for the red one to be my daily and don't want to take too long getting it sorted. I'm up at the crack of dawn to head over to the other side of the country to hopefully pick up a couple of wings and a door, in the correct colour but if they are rough I think the guy has better ones in other colours. I'm trying to cut down on the amount of cars I have ,6 at the moment:lol:

Six cars ! . Your Mrs must have the patience of a saint as well lol .

^^exactly! :lol:

Six cars ! . Your Mrs must have the patience of a saint as well lol .

She has mate, although she does despair:lol:

Another wee update, started stripping the front end, both wings are rotten and there is a hole on the n/s sill where the wing attaches. Also I need to do the brakes and as Anna from VW heritage kindly sent me a pair of brake shields(which need fitted to show they are a proper replacement), I thought I might as well fit new suspension, which I have had lying about for ages, but as we all know, one job leads to another and I'm now faced with drilling out a broken bolt, it would be one of the brake shield ones as well :lol:

Radiator support is almost transparent so that needs replacing, new discs, pads, hoses,shields,wishbones (refurbished) and associated bushes. I'm hoping to leave the hub alone as I don't have any abs sensors and they can get swapped out later.

Also need to sort out an oil leak(switch on the filter housing) , possible sump leak and there is some oil under the gearbox.......so not too much to do :lol:

Rotten

87203202-8766-473A-9065-BD58C00729C0.jpg

D92954E3-2325-4786-B679-4F98D2464293.jpg

Old v new, these are like Swiss cheese up close

DE97D291-ADCA-470F-B5D3-CB10122216C3.jpg

Welding required

9CBFEFD7-B1DF-4214-80C7-764BDF25F82B.jpg

Bought a couple of years ago(hoarder), I do have rears too

077596E5-4FCE-46D8-959C-5A771144006D.jpg

It's a big task easy. My car looks like your first pic at the moment . And I have to agree , where do you stop ! .

I've stopped playing it's a money pit...

Come in number 24...... Home many wheelie bins.

Haha, I thought the same thing! Lol

Ha ha, there are actually 5 wheelie bins :lol:

Onto plan b, I can't rebuild anything using the old rusty bolts, which leads me to the fact that I can't fit refurbished wishbones to a crusty subframe and I can't fit a fresh radiator support panel without changing the front crossmember. So all the bits I have aside for the storm will be going on here. Need to order every bolt etc plus 2 abs sensors and I think I need the bits for the end if the anti roll bar, will need to find out what they are called :lol:

5C1E72CD-357A-43C9-ACBE-BAAD2B26A1AF.jpg

Looking good, your a true enthusiast!

Do you mean the drop links? I got them from VW Heritage.

Looking good, your a true enthusiast!

Do you mean the drop links? I got them from VW Heritage.

That'll be the ones mate, thank you. I'm not sure if I qualify as an enthusiast, more of a loony :lol:

I don't usually worry how long these jobs take but I want to get back to driving a Corrado again so I'm gonna push away until this is done, which will allow me to get rid of another car,my Audi daily, which will equal brownie points:)

So, I had a couple of hours this afternoon and as I'm still waiting on the bolts etc for the front underside I thought I'd have a wee play with the dents/rusty bits.

The sill at the drivers door had quite a few chips along the edge, easy enough to grind back and paint over right? :lol: It's a Corrado so not a chance :(

Small chips

8ED2E39C-F2C2-49FB-A390-4FBDFBC46B9A.jpg

Thought I should remove the sill cover as I didn't want to get it messy, found these bits :lol:

C19927C9-ED3B-41BF-9F0C-4FD6C2925C35.jpg

2E878914-2865-4DE2-ACA1-92720FC3EB67.jpg

After drying my tears I gave them a poke/grind/kick :lol:

7AD6968D-4DA0-4ABD-A1C6-FE6BCE7CC67A.jpg

9D962663-EB6D-41BC-958E-DA5C0F26282C.jpg

So not nice but at least it'll give my comedy welding skills a good workout :)

And I have a nice bit in the breaker to cut the relevant bits from. Time has run out again as I won't get back to it until later on and by then it's too late to be cutting and grinding, I'll just need to prep and hit all the welding at one time

Breaker

565D1594-AB4D-42F3-AE8C-CC785A8845C7.jpg

I think I may be a loony too ! . I will be on the lookout for the nuts n bolts . I have most of the parts for the underside , a few more needed . It would be a lot easier to drop the whole lot , chuck it and fit the new parts with new bolts . I started today and got stumped on rounded bolts I've never touched .

I think I may be a loony too ! . I will be on the lookout for the nuts n bolts . I have most of the parts for the underside , a few more needed . It would be a lot easier to drop the whole lot , chuck it and fit the new parts with new bolts . I started today and got stumped on rounded bolts I've never touched .

im afraid we are all suffering from that common illness my friends and family called "Corrado OCD" LOL

Got a wee cutting session in earlier, also managed to make a few cardboard templates up for the bits I need to replace, if only I could weld in cardboard :lol:

69E8934B-2FAE-4FF6-A057-288FDBFD498B.jpg

C2616522-94EE-4B9A-8D21-53D3B24B8A34.jpg

3C212462-7730-4C75-974D-C6FD4C51797B.jpg

7AD6968D-4DA0-4ABD-A1C6-FE6BCE7CC67A.jpg

4DF89671-BBB5-483E-899C-819AE8F6B091_1.jpg

B4336445-E0D2-4390-A8C9-FD66C628798B.jpg

I've done the same with a few of the smaller bits but there is a big one that cardboard just isn't any good for :)

63D5D925-AFB5-4157-B0EB-497082DB098B.jpg

So I'll need to cut out the exact shape

15E550AC-EF40-42A8-BD23-A3CA1B8DBF1D.jpg

Now this is dedication! Was the blue one not in better nick than the red one then? Either way, with what you paid for it and the amount of rust and other issues, i think on this occasion, no one would have had any objections to you breaking it. Top man for sticking with it Martin!

It's great when you can do stuff like this yourself . I learnt to weld when I was sixteen , I doubt very much if I could do it now .

Now this is dedication! Was the blue one not in better nick than the red one then? Either way, with what you paid for it and the amount of rust and other issues, i think on this occasion, no one would have had any objections to you breaking it. Top man for sticking with it Martin!

It was probably in better condition a year ago mate, but it's donated loads of bits to the Storm, mostly all from the other side. I'm trying to get this one up and running as a daily so I can get rid of my current daily(S4 avant), just to whittle down the collection a bit. As you say, it was cheap enough but I've always had a soft spot for the red ones 8)

Plus, I've got some things I want to put in it instead of tripping over them......grey leather recaro interior being the biggest

It's great when you can do stuff like this yourself . I learnt to weld when I was sixteen , I doubt very much if I could do it now .

I'm just happy to give it a go mate, I'm no welder so if I make a real mess, I'll talk nicely to the guy who sorted the Storm :lol:

This is pure dedication/madness (delete as appropriate) and either way I'm always impressed with your work Mr Pops. Great reading you saving these cars.

Been thinking of going on a welding course myself recently. Could be a good skill to have...

This is pure dedication/madness (delete as appropriate) and either way I'm always impressed with your work Mr Pops. Great reading you saving these cars.

Been thinking of going on a welding course myself recently. Could be a good skill to have...

Thanks Mic, I don't really see it as a big deal,it's 20+ years old now, as they all are and apart from the very best ones they will all need some work. I'm fortunate that I don't really have any time restraints and that I've been gathering parts for years, so now is the time to start using up the hoard and getting a couple of roadworthy Corrado's.

Then there is the small matter of the other VR hiding in the garage :lol:

I vote madness :)