Sign in to follow this  
hustler

G60 Vs VR6

Ok im sure its been asked befor and will be asked time and time again..

But whats the brass balls of this debate???

Ive had countless G60's in the past and am passionate about the speed of the supercharged 1.8 with the nibleness of the lighter engine so why should i be thinking about a VR6?

Well I can tell you, the only reason i am considering a VR6 is because of the fine examples up for sale on this forum at the moment. I am really struggling to find the right G60 at the right money. Epecially when there are several fully loaded storms for sale at the moment at less than £2500

So tell me why i should consider broadening my search and take a look at a few of these VR's

Just go and drive a few VR6s. Only way you'll be able to make your mind up. G60s are holding their value better at the mo, but as you say, there are some decent looking VR6s at bargain prices around at the mo. Bear in mind, you'll get the later revisions in the VR6 + that sound. G60 is great though- as you well know.

Personally, I'd take the VR every time, but that's just me.

Arrrrggggghhhhhh.....

:iamwithstupid: :lol:

I prefer G60s. That's why I drive one. Some people prefer VR6s. That's why they drive one. We can't make up your mind which one you prefer. Which is good news for you because that means you're just gonna have to get out there and drive some Corrados. Such a shame.... :D

Ok,playing devils advocate here.

There is a thread over on edition38 with the same title if you're a member?!??

It is very pro vr6 so if you are leaning towards a vr you could try that one,as it raises all the points that they believe the VR has over the g60.

They talk about the vr being the more refined package,more power out the box and the noise from the v6 engine... etc.

out the box a standard VR6 is quicker than a standard G60 and at some point sooner than later the charger on the g60 will blow up...bla bla la..... :sleeping:

Although a g60 accelerates from 30 in 5th quicker than a VR will, VR chains needs doing.. bla bla bla :D

Very much personal opinion, aside from exhaust note there is very little difference between the two in terms of power as you can tweak a G60 to VR levels and beyond for very little money. Switchgear, you either like rotary dials and rounded buttons or you like the early stuff (although the early stuff is more durable and costs half the price)

The big one as far as I am concerned is handling and feel, they are very different cars to drive given the suspension changes (wider track, different camber) and the VR block sits a lot furthur forward than the 4 cylinder. Having had both as daily drivers I prefer the G60, but like I said it the start its what you want it to look/sound like and how it drives that should make your mind up.

yip it is a personal preference and this could be debated all day long and im sure if you use the search bar it will show you just how many times!

I dont get why there are threads like this vr6 vs 16v vs G60 vs 1.8t vs etc.....its all down to what you want and not others imop.

and VR Chians need doing once its been around the moon unlike the g-ladder :p :wink:

and VR Chians need doing once its been around the moon unlike the g-ladder :p :wink:

Yeah... but a G-Ladder rebuild is a little easier and cheaper than swapping chains out. And nobody has mentioned head rebuilds yet. Oh, or egg shaped cylinder bores on 1 and 6.... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :lol:

To be honest I've never noticed any real world difference in the performance of the two cars other than the VR is quicker off the line (and let's not forget the world is not a drag race) and the G60 handles better. And handling is more important to me. The only way they could have mounted the VR6 engine further forward is if they stuck it out on scaffolding in front of the bumper. I LOVE VR6s and I would have one but only if I could afford to have it alongside a G60.

I'm happy to scrap it out for the 16v's honour. I'll obviously be naked and covered in chip fat.

Well ive never had so much trouble looking for a car. usually ive found what i want within a couple of days but this time ive been looking almost every day for 2 weeks straight and havent even found one worth viewing yet. My last 2 G60's both black i found within a couple of days of looking.. had to travel about 200 miles each one but well worth it for the ride back.

think i'll buy the trader next week and try test drive some local vr's.

But im not trying to debate or start a fight at the end o the day there all corrado's and its those classic lines that i love.

I'm mearly interested in the views of everyone.. anyone can say a G60 handlys better than a Vr6 but a VR will out drag a stock G60 as that is just fact but its the things like the chains and the oval cylinders that i dont know about. Having owned the G60's im well aware of the charger issues. but with them oming of age ive seen plenty of second hand and refurbed chargers come up for sale from brakers.

So the VR has a wider track? by how much?

But its the same body as the late G60 is it not?

Thanks for the input guys.

And your all right i need to get out there and drive a few.

The extra's are whats drawing me towards the vr6 at the moment... but that creates a further problem... with so many reasonably priced storms about do i buy one of them and give up on my colour peference? lol..

I'm happy to scrap it out for the 16v's honour. I'll obviously be naked and covered in chip fat.

Another default win for Toad then.... :lol: 16v it is.

not if its hot chip fat :norty:

I do find it a touch ironic that someone so pro-G60 runs "SIX CYLINDER CLOTHING" :lol:.

And despite my initial input into the thread, VR for me all the way.

Though the G60 certainly does have it's own merits - some of those including an easy 200BHP with bolt on modifications.

But the VR6 has always worked for me. I just adore the noise from that VR6 and always have.. and it's just such an effortless drive. Every time I manage to blag the keys off 2cc for a drive in his fully rebuilt VR6 I just want to run away somewhere with it and start a new life! :)

not if its hot chip fat :norty:

It will be hot when it's dripping off my moobs.... :norty:

I do find it a touch ironic that someone so pro-G60 runs "SIX CYLINDER CLOTHING" :lol:.

Only because it rolls off the tongue better than "FORCED INDUCTION FOUR CYLINDER CLOTHING". :lol:

lol...

So come on talk valvers to me.. the pric on them sems to be rock bottom. i may by one to put me on till the right G60 comes along.

wrongest post evah!!

No good ever comes from these g60 vs VR posts. :)

I think it comes down to some people prefer the image of one to the other for various reasons.

I like the g60's idiosyncrasies.

I guess some just see it as just a time bomb waiting to explode. :lol:

Its the VR's unkempt younger brother.

Your either a g60 person or your not. :)

It rolls off the tongue better

The voice of experience? :shock: :lol:

It rolls off the tongue better

The voice of experience? :shock: :lol:

What's a moob?