Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

TOP GEAR New Series comments :)

Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent) - Incredibly it's from an Album made in 1983!!

Loved that last segment - beautiful scenery, beautiful sound (music & the motor!) and a stunning car!

That was the best one of the episode this series.

The roco part was funny.

How many of you was hoping in Jay leno's list of cars a Corrado popped up.

The ending was great too

Loved that last segment - beautiful scenery, beautiful sound (music & the motor!) and a stunning car!

Thanks, tried to find that out for ages. Very emotive.

Pretty sure he was up in Scotland there, over on the west coast near the Rest and be Thankful road. If only the roads were that quite.

I had an hours drive in a V8 Vantage a week ago. Awesome peice of machinary. I can only imagine what that V12 must be like. Stunning looking cars though 8)

After watching that episode I'm glad it was the last in the series, severely scraping the barrel. :(

NEEDS NEW IDEAS! :sleeping:

A very poignant ending I thought. Reminded me of the last episode of Blackadder.

Pretty sure he was up in Scotland there, over on the west coast near the Rest and be Thankful road. If only the roads were that quite.

Thats great, I've been wanting to know what that track is for ages as I love it - its used loads in films and programmes........ending was great !!

Marking the end of an era? Clarkson appears somewhat out of character here. Surprisingly emotive indeed.

However, did anyone think of Jam sketches, by Chris Morris when Eno was playing?

I'd hate to see Top Gear go as much as anyone but this is the first series where I've thought perhaps it's had it's day.

I didn't hear hammond mention another series though.

I thought last nights was a brilliant episode. The noise of that supercharged VXR, the pure hilarity of those Scirocco adverts, and that beautiful V12 Vantage....

So I'm going to disagree with you Tracy, take it for what it is as an entertainment show losely based around cars and I think they hit the spot almost everytime, been a good strong series I think. Well done boys! :salute:

I must admit, I think the suicide Scirocco advert is probably going to earn them some complaints. I know it's being done as a bit of fun, etc but it was only 8.30pm - and someone blowing their brains out with a handgun pre-9pm is going to result in some heat.

I must admit, I think the suicide Scirocco advert is probably going to earn them some complaints. I know it's being done as a bit of fun, etc but it was only 8.30pm - and someone blowing their brains out with a handgun pre-9pm is going to result in some heat.

You may be right - but I laughed my bloody ar$e off!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You may be right - but I laughed my bloody ar$e off!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn straight! That and the 'Scirocco TDi - for people who like their arms' bit's were TV gold in my opinion. Haven't laughed that hard at something on TV in a long time. :lol:

Imo the severed arm thing was a bit Kenny Everett and it didn't even raise a smirk for me I'm afraid. I did like the fetching blonde in the black bikini though :D

I actually welled up at the ending - I found it really moving. That might be down to the beautiful music and scenery as much as the car, but who cares - I'm a sentimental softy!

I agree that it wasn't their best series, but I liked the way they changed the dynamic on some of the tasks with them paired up instead of working in threes - it seemed to allow them to do more solo car reviews as well.

I did like the fetching blonde in the black bikini though :D

Anyone thinking of jokes about stiffs in boxes?

No? Just me then.....

Please yourselves

Yeah, bits of it looked like the Glen Fruin supply road between loch Lomond and Faslane navy base. It probably was, theve used the road numerous times before.

I actually welled up at the ending - I found it really moving. That might be down to the beautiful music and scenery as much as the car, but who cares - I'm a sentimental softy!

The thought of no more Astons is enough to make any petrol head cry!

So am I the only one who was completely bored by the last section then? Yeah they had some good shots, but they also used the same acceleration sound 4 times (bounce off the limiter in one gear, bit of wheelspin in another) and there was no indication of how it drove. It could have been a complete dog with all that weight over the front. They might as well have just had one in the studio, filmed a walkround and be done with it. :?

I loved the Stig giving it some in the Vauxhalls tho, that was proper beef. The mad powerslide in the second to last corner in the Monaro was evil! :notworthy: And the charger whine was divine.

The Scirocco 'looked' like it drove very well judging by that brief bit of 3 wheel action on the tight bend. As for performance. "4 seconds to do anything" pretty much sums up VAG's 2.0 TDI. The old 1.9 was a lot punchier imo.

1) I thought the final segment with the Aston was one of the better pieces they've done on TG in recent years. It makes a real change just to dwell on the car in some beautiful scenery and have Clarkson showing some restraint with the old witicisms.

2) The Scirocco piece was a little bit padded but still funny in places. I thought the revision of the old VW ad (including suicide) was pretty good and it made me laugh, as was the bit where they stuffed the coffin in the Scirocco's boot. The irony of course is that VW's historically clever marketing department pulled off another masterstroke didn't they? That was almost 20 minutes of uninterrupted Scirocco advertising on the best watched car programme on the telly...

3) My VR6 is still better than a Scirocco (well it is in the parallel dimension I occupy where all decent and interesting cars stopped being made in around 1998), and even more so a diesel one :)

4) Those Aussie V8's are for girls and bed-wetters! A few months ago I was car scouting in the Auto Trader and there was a 2003 model of one of those Holden Utes with a stage-2 Vortec charger fitted... 720bhp no less... that's the one you should aspire to (even if it does probably no more than 6mpg)