Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Operation weight save - lets all have a crack at it!

BORING BIT :sleeping:

I've just been thinking that normally the minimum power gain you notice (depending on what you start with) is about 10bhp in real world situations, got me thinking that on a power to weight ratio how much weight saved has the same impact as 10 extra ponies...here's what I came up with...

Standard VR6 - 190bhp - 1240kg - power to weight 153bhp/pt

Standard VR6 with an extra 10bhp - 200bhp - 1240kg - power to weight 161bhp/pt

Standard VR6 with a 60kg weight loss - 190bhp - 1180kg - power to weight 161bhp/pt

So 60kg off has the same impact as around 10bhp gained, I know it's not a strict rule as a heavy powerful car will annihilate a light underpowered one once it gets up to speed but it's worth thinking about.

It obviously has a positive impact on handling, braking, fuel economy :camp: and general wear and tear on the car when it's got less weight to carry about.

FUN BIT :clap:

Real weight saving is expensive and normally costs far more then just upping the power but lets club together and see what we can come up with to save a bit of weight on the cheap, obviously whilst keeping the car as functional and OEM as possible.

Today I swopped my space saver and crappy jack for a can of tyreweld - weighed it, 8.5kg saving! Not a bad start and thats not even a full size spare

Other stuff I've done in the past, £40 Decat pipe-saved about 5kgish and add's a bit of power, win win

Plastic rocker cover, saves about 1kg and keeps engine temp down, free swop from a late Golf owner usually

Neuspeed pullies, expensive I know but save 3kg of rotational mass and adds 5bhp, again win win but at a cost

Anymore suggestions to help reach my golden goal of 60kg, Carbon canister deletion etc

replace the electric windows with manaul ones

remove spare wheel (tyre weld is very cheap)

remove boot carpet

remove sound deadning from under the carpets still has oem looks while saving weight

remove air con

remove abs pump stopping is for losers lol

carbon bonnet

carbon boot lid

this would save a small bit of weight while keeping the inside factory looking

first aid kit

warning triangle

i never use my window washes so thats always empty

i cnt think of much else for free

The major one I noticed it the weight of leather vs fabric seats! Leather weighs an absolute ton in comparison! (sorry, don't have any actual weights for either though)

Always run at 1/2 tank maximum fuel.

Petrol weighs 2.72 kg per gallon, so a late model 15 gallon tank would hold, when full, 40.8kg of fuel.

Ergo, at half full you've lost 20.4kg!

More than i thought it'd be to be honest!

remove abs pump stopping is for losers lol

Not entirely sure the old bill would understand my quest when I smash into my 3rd bus stop in a week :)

i never use my window washes so thats always empty

Thought that was just me, I fill mine up using 1 trip with a 500ml coke bottle, not exactly going to crash and die if it runs out

Always run at 1/2 tank maximum fuel.

Petrol weighs 2.72 kg per gallon, so a late model 15 gallon tank would hold, when full, 40.8kg of fuel.

Ergo, at half full you've lost 20.4kg!

I do this too, never knew it weighed that much though! Very accurate and definitely something to keep in mind

As for the leather :clap: yippee I now have an excuse to keep my fabric seats, sound money saving advice right there

get yourself a techtonics exhaust. My original item weighed about 21kg, and my techtonics weighs 9kg! :wink:

looking at all the comments, my corrado must be one of the heaviest :grin:

i never think too much into the weight etc, but this has definately opened my eyes :eek:

lose the windows.... :D

...but maybe better to replace them with perspex jobs

Sunroof? Would a glass one weigh less? You could also remove the motor.

Also remove all headlining, doorcards and trim.

Loose the VR Lump and fit a nice G60 in there :lol:

loose the supercharged badges so people think its a VR6 haha :lol: :grin:

Errrm, don't take this personally if I'm just about to put my foot in it big time (and I don't mean to upset any C owners....) but....

go on a diet?

I'm sure many of us could loose a few kgs without looking anorexic

Not me! :lol: I'm underweight as it is....

If you have an early bonnet change it for a later one. The early ones seem way heavier!

Errrm, don't take this personally if I'm just about to put my foot in it big time (and I don't mean to upset any C owners....) but....

go on a diet?

Aye i could do with losing a stone.

What about ICE? lose the stereo speakers, any subs or amps. Depends how much you like your music whilst you drive.

I suppose if it was a G60 you'd need something to drown the droning noise out, but you have your own music under the bonnet with a VR - :lol: just to stir it

Lets not descend into another G60/VR debate please. :D

And I could do with gaining a stone or two...

If I'm going for a spirited drive and want the car to feel light and nimble I always make sure I go for a big dump before I leave!

Ha, that is completely fair enough, easier still though just lose any overweight friends you have due to "motorsport regulations", no more wasted hot laps with big passengers :)

Like the idea of the Spal and equivalent fans though with the recent group buys going on. Any idea on the difference in weight between OEM and say a 11/9" with lasercut bracket set-up?

Remember this is supposed to be OEM too boys and girls so those more off-key suggestions may not be acted upon. I'm not chopping my roof off, binning the spolier, fitting space savers all round, dropping in a hiyabusa engine or any such like malarky before it gets suggested, going on a diet though is on my to-do list :)

Have stripped out the back of my C previously, as was thinking about 'track car' look, rear seats, spare tyre, ICE, parcel shelf, looked great. :D

Stood back to admire the lighter C and noticed it was more like a drag car! :shock:

Just chucking stuff out also needs to be levelled up or your suspension juggled with otherwise you end up with your rear end skywards. :camp: