The guide I mentioned about using Citric Acid to clean off rust warns not to breath the fumes. So doing it in your kitchen might not be the smartest idea. If others want to read the full guide they can download it from here: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?56334-Cleaning-hubs&p=725354&viewfull=1#post725354

Citric acid is a VERY weak acid, you'd have to sit over a steaming pot of it for a day to see any Ill effects. People do the same thing all the time when they pop lemon juice into boiling water when they have a cold. It's really not that dangerous. I think that guide is being a little over zealous with it's health and safety

I guess that's why you can by a kilo no questions asked, my dad got some hydrochloric to clean a pewter candlestick on advice from an antiques dealer, the chemist asked so many questions I think they thought he was disposing of a body or something :lol:

I guess that's why you can by a kilo no questions asked, my dad got some hydrochloric to clean a pewter candlestick on advice from an antiques dealer, the chemist asked so many questions I think they thought he was disposing of a body or something :lol:

I'm surprised they sold him any tbh! There arn't many acids as strong as hydrocloric... I think in fact only hydrofoilc is more corrosive (eats glass!)

Your right about Citric acid though, the bags I'm now buying are for making bath bombs and adding to food as a preservative. Can't be that bad if your expected to eat it!

Hey Crocodile Dundee! :lol:

brake lines are fun, and quite easy once you see how they are laid out.

Not as easy as I hoped... Every brake union is corroded up good. Spent all day trying to get the flexie hoses off the front calipers and the brake lines... I failed :(

I ain't got the tools or the weather for this, I just won't it fixed....

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

Fix Starter motor DONE

New callipers all round including fluid hoses DONE

Replace Springs and shocks DONE

New suspension mount to front OS suspension DONE

Re-condition wishbones and fit new rubbers DONE

replace/Fix NS head light unit (I have replacement unit ready to fit, just need to drill out the middle screw)

rear bumper brackets have rotten, probably just get a new bumper (Have new bumper but brackets are not in good nick. Will probably fabricate my own)

Fit wheel spacers DONE

New cv boots DONE

fix a engine oil leak DONE

fix power steering fluid leak DONE

Replace front cross member and radiator support panel as its completely rusted away DONE

New radiator and fan switch DONE

Speedo works intermittently, probably a loose wire DONE

Fit new steering wheel DONE

Petrol tank straps need replacing DONE

and things to do....

Charger needs servicing

New battery tray required.

Heater matrix is in need of replacing

FIt new Sunroof

sunroof seals

New rear tyres parada Spec 2195/50 R15 82V

fit exhaust rubber (but I need a "special one",)

Need new exhaust Manifold

Fit new exhaust heat shield

New Lambda sensor

Fix a gear box leak

Replace OS brake line and replace braking fluid

Introducing the new and improved Rado!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47878[/ATTACH]

Because of the fine weather i had the opportunity to finish the car off! whey! :dance:

There is still a few issues however...

1. the radiator fan wont turn on, will need to check fuses and temp sensors.
  2. the brakes are still leaking. Looks like one of the hoses from the brake bias valve near the back.
  3. coolant leak from where the top rad hose meets the engine. That plastic block T-piece that bolts to the engine. Only leaked when the pressure in the system went up though.
  4. new bonnet needs to be fitted but It needs painting first and I'll then need to replace the bonnet foam.

Still, I've done loads over the last few days and I'm very happy with the results!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47879[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47882[/ATTACH]

BTW... you may have notice I didn't paint the carriers....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47883[/ATTACH]

Well.. the fact is, I DID paint some carriers that my pal gave me off his MK2 with g60 set-up.... however, it would seem after cleaning them, washing them in acid, priming and painting them that they are not infact 280mm carriers but 256mm.... :mad2: I was not amused!

So I had to use the ones off my old hubs...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47884[/ATTACH]

Sigh....

nice job, what paint are you using on the calipers, i thinking about redoing mine soon.

i've got some carriers if you need them, i've cleaned them up with that deox stuff too,.

nice job, what paint are you using on the calipers, i thinking about redoing mine soon.

i've got some carriers if you need them, i've cleaned them up with that deox stuff too,.

I'm going to get some TRW carriers from VW spares I think eventually, but thanks for the offer, ill keep it in mind.

The paint I used was 2Pak. It's hard wearing and doesn't need lacquering and comes in a infinite range of colours. Trouble is that it's not heat resistant above 250 degrees (ish) so not ideal for callipers. If I cook the brakes the paint will likely flake off.

If your wanting to paint yours use HT paint (high temperature). The only reason I went with 2Pak was that you can't get HT paint or VHT paint in purple! :lol:

didnt realise you can still get 2-pack paint anymore.got rid of it over here because high VOCs and cyanide content

yeah true.

btw you're not allowed to finish your C before mine (any time in the next 10 years)...

what part of this didn't you understand?

Seriously though, well done! It's a great feeling when you get some major stuff finished :D

what part of this didn't you understand?

Seriously though, well done! It's a great feeling when you get some major stuff finished :D

Amazing isn't the word. Drove it to a local car park to try the brakes and it was incredible... the last time I drove it the front engine mount was shagged and there was no oil in it, no power steering, fudged suspension.

It's like chalk and cheese! There is a little knocking sound coming from the subframe though... I think I may have fitted the ARB on upside down, i think it's knocking against the exhaust manifold!

Nice one Alex, good to have seen it all come back together.

Next jobs on the pipeline are?

Nicely done. That was a fair old slab of work you did there! :)

Nice one Alex, good to have seen it all come back together.

Next jobs on the pipeline are?

Next on the pipelines is the pipelines! :lol:

Still need to fix this brake leak at the brake bias valve. And get it MOT'd. I'm expecting I need a new lambda too.

Once the MOT is out of the way I'll be wanting to service the charger so will be saving up for that I think. In the mean time I think I'm going to get back to finishing off the body work and maybe fitting my new sunroof and bonnet. Should keep the likes of me busy for a few months!

good work alex, must be nice to get it driven again - the love returns!

good work alex, must be nice to get it driven again - the love returns!

It sure does! I wanna drive south In August for a beer festival in Bristol so i'll be hoping to have at least the body work and MOT done by then!

Can't wait! :cheers:

Hi guys,

Not much has been happening on the car as this week I finally decided to step into my manhood... Im now 2 weeks post-op and feeling fabulous! Thanks to everyone who supported me! Especially Kris xxxx

:camp:

Nah.. sorry to disappoint you all, no down stairs mix-up that I know of going on. But there is a subtle change that has occurred... I speak of course of the inevitable slide towards old age. I have finally stepped into the ever expansive and subtle plains of the land of "Old Men". With it's grey, rolling hill sides and it's wrinkly beaches, lapped by the seas of father time...

I speak of course, of buying a shed...

here she is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48053[/ATTACH]

This monster sports a duel slide double door system, integrated wind bracing and whopping 2.8 cubic meters of storage... she's like a metallic chuck norris! :rambo:

The reasons for getting something like this where as follows:

1. My spare room is currently being used to store tools and car components... the rest of the tools are stored in the boot of the corrado. I hoped this shed would allow me to put my garden equipment and DIY tools in here, outside and that would allow me to empty the spare room and corrado of tools and parts and pop them in the hall cupboard where the garden tools are currently stored.
  2. Mr Girlfriend threatened me with violence if i didn't buy it...

SOOOoooo... now that I have a shed, any other old fogies wanna meet up and swap ration tickets or something? This is all a little new to me...

Does said shed have shelving? Tis only ground cover until you invest in shelving to store all unwanted widgets until sometime never.

I've also got a shed though admittedly it came with the house, and is made of brick. I wasn't quite ready to knock it down to prove my youth.

Your plans to move the parts into the shed are well-meaning but ultimately doomed. Your Corrado will only see the shed as an expansion of its territory, rather than a new home for all its odds and ends. I only realised this after losing a garage, a shed, and yes, the original parts room, to mine.

Does said shed have shelving? Tis only ground cover until you invest in shelving to store all unwanted widgets until sometime never.

no shelves yet but I'll soon whip up some timber ones :)

I've also got a shed though admittedly it came with the house, and is made of brick. I wasn't quite ready to knock it down to prove my youth.

Your plans to move the parts into the shed are well-meaning but ultimately doomed. Your Corrado will only see the shed as an expansion of its territory, rather than a new home for all its odds and ends. I only realised this after losing a garage, a shed, and yes, the original parts room, to mine.

Realy? dam it! have I just entered the slippery slopes of shed buying? One after the other will fall under the weight of my rado's demanding parts list... :lol: