Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

R888's on the front end?

How much of a good idea is it to run Toyo R888's on the front only?

I have a huge problem with traction at the moment and I'm not only too tight to buy an LSD but also too tight to buy R888's all round, how would my car handle on track with R888's on the front only? Does anybody have any experience?

Are we talking lift off oversteer buy the bucket load or a nice tight turn in and better traction out of corners? I'm only doing the fronts as I have 2 spare wheels and I'll be using them for drag also.

Any opinions?

I was going to get a set a while back before the diff.

They have thick sidewalls so are noisey on the road and are not so good in the wet but folks do run them for a daily.

Most reserve them for the track and use T1R's for the road.

Yeah I've got Toyo T1r's on my standard set of wheels, I'm pretty such set on some R888's but it's mainly the front and back thing I'm worried about. Just don't want the car to become unusable if I upgrade the front only.

cant say how it will handle with r888's on the front and normals on the back, but r888's increase grip by a good 30% i would estimate from running them on my golf. i cant see it being good having that much less grip on the back!

expect the tail to slide. its easy to get the tail of corrados sliding out with some encouragement - this would only further encourage that behaviour. since typical road driving includes corners in addition to straight roads - fitting 4 of them would be a good idea ;)

Looks like everyone's got a point, although I am a big fan of the C's cheeky rear end antics :)

I've already managed to spin mine on a roundabout on normal tyres all round so I'd be asking for trouble by the looks of it.

Thanks for the opinions people, LSD it is then

i have them all round and unless your gonna track em i would not bother again really

dont get me wrong there a fantastic tyre in the dry and damp and i have had some good times with em but show em a puddle and some rain and your botty will be eating pant :D

and lets face it we dont get long dry summers in this country

still im gonna wear this set out and then go for a set of conti sport contacts or bridgestone re050 i have the bridgestones on my bmw and my other half has the contis on her c4 vtr and both are good in all conditions and really thats what i would like as i dont want to have to check the weather to drive the C

ive got potenza re050a's fitted - certainly pleased with the grip they offer - not sure theyre entirely worth the high cost however. the rainsports were always a safe favourite - great in summer - great in winter

your botty will be eating pant :D

:lol:

still im gonna wear this set out and then go for a set of conti sport contacts or bridgestone re050 i have the bridgestones on my bmw and my other half has the contis on her c4 vtr and both are good in all conditions and really thats what i would like

Also used both of those on my C and they're both good. RE50s have a stiffer sidewall than the Conti for slightly more focused cornering, but the penalty for that is weight! The Bridgee is a heavy tyre. The Conti is a surprisingly light one and it does make a difference.

I've tried conti sport 2 and 3 and I would not say the 3 is worth the huge premium over the 2 and the CS3 wears a lot faster as it's softer.

In terms of outright grip, they're about the same!

I've tried conti sport 2 and 3 and I would not say the 3 is worth the huge premium over the 2 and the CS3 wears a lot faster as it's softer.

In terms of outright grip, they're about the same!

Quick one Kev, have you run conti-sport-1's? If so was there a lot of difference between those and 2/3's??