carpoid

G60 - VR6T? Possible donor car? P4

nah mines the standard long runner... when my bays finished it will look pretty standard really, like it like that or all out (which is too expensive :lol:)

nah mines the standard long runner... when my bays finished it will look pretty standard really, like it like that or all out (which is too expensive :lol:)

Yeah its nice and subtle like that too, could you use the standard air box too, or does it make a big difference using a cone filter?

kev has it in his bay!! i wanted the standard air box, but the way the pipework is (thickness and angle) cant be done in mine...

I did run the standard airbox initially but I find it runs a LOT better with a BMC CDA :D The factory airbox is too restrictive for turbo use, especially with all the snorkels in place, but if you remove those, you get nasty resonances and it feels a bit sluggish low down. The BMC gives you back a lot of bottom end grunt and is a lot quieter than an open cone filter.

But for Mr Carpoid, here's how it all looks in the bay if you want to go down the OE airbox road....

Oooh err :norty: Does look good with the standard one on there, but if its restrictive then off with it :wave: Good to know the CDA's are fairly quiet though.

Have you got enough room for 2 slimline fans on your rad there Kev? That must have super-cold intake temps with that chargecooler, the water gets pumped through a pre-rad hidden in the bumper doesn't t?

Yeah it's a shame as VRTs look great with the OE airbox. I might revisit that again some day with some internal tweaks to make it more suitable for turbo use.

Yeah there's 2 fans on the radiator mate, an 11" and a 9", nicely mounted to one of DG Autotech's fan brackets :salute: They switch on at a nice and safe 93 deg C, controlled by the DTA management 8)

Yeah I get some pretty good intake temps with that intercooler and it's pre-rad is under the bumber in that plastic grilled area above the chin spoiler, so is invisible unless you kneel down and look for it. I like the stealth approach :D

I've also got an A/C rad to put in front of the main rad to supplement the chargecooler one for even cooler temps!

Baaaah, his is just a shinier version of my install.....but I've got a bigger leaf blower :norty: :lol:

Seriously though, what a car! I wish I had the time, cash and patience to produce something like that.

Just got a fetish with polish :cuckoo: :lol:

Indeed you have, but I'd keep your polish fetish to yourself if I were you :lol:

nailpolishonFINGERnails.jpg

Just got a fetish with polish :cuckoo: :lol:

Indeed you have, but I'd keep your polish fetish to yourself if I were you :lol:

nailpolishonFINGERnails.jpg

Kev you know my colour :camp:

Both your colours are there, top right: Mystic Blue, bottom middle: Ice Ghey Violet

:lol:

Nice looking bay Stormchargedman, whats the little thing to the far right next to the PAS fluid, looks like a tennis ball in a flower pot??!! Or a smilie in a policeman bobby hat! Nice nails too :camp: :lol:

Sorry for the newbie questions here, i havn't really looked at VR6 engines closely before, let alone ones with Turbos :help: But i have to ask, where is the MAF located on a VR6 Turbo? Inbetween the Air Filter and Turbo? With the BOV, are yours re-circulating Kev and Shaun? I was looking at a Skyline engine earlier today (my second year apprentice has one!) and noticed his BOV is fairly close to the inlet manifold, with your set-ups with the Air to Water IC, would it be too close to the throttle body if the BOV was there? Looks like there is no room for it and i was reading that its best to keep it as far away from the TB as possible, Is it still healthy for the air to surge back through the IC before reaching the BOV? :scratch: I'm guessing it must be good to do what you've done or it wouldn't work so well :) Just like to know how it all works.

I have been on the lookout for a cheap VR6 Golf, so i can convert my car into a VR6T.

No luck finding a Golf but i've found this '95 Passat with only 160000 kms http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 2759.l1259

I'm aware its an Auto, but that doesn't matter, i can soon get hold of a manual gearbox to rebuild.

What i'm wondering is whether these and Golfs have the same subframe as a Corrado?

I'm not sure if its worth buying something like this or getting just an engine and box as i can see me buying alot of the other parts new anyway (driveshafts ,brakes etc)

Any advise welcome 8)

I'm not 100% sure - but I think theres a slight difference between Mk3 and Corrado subframes. Are you going to go widetrack too?