tribetype40

DOUGS 24V STORM-R - rear cage possibly?

Lol some people eh! As if you had a spare lump knocking about! I want your garage! Mind you I wouldn't have the space for it as it full of spare Corrado interior after my swap!

No great leaps forward today but I did manage to get all the parts I needed off the 2.8 and on the Audi 3.2. Also spruced up a few bits before it goes in the bay. Will fit the gearbox tomorrow and get the engine on its mounts.

Then I have to workout the bits I need to make it run on the VR6 ECU. shouldn't take too long to work out but the motor on my lathe went bang a little while ago so until I get a new one I wont be able to make the parts... fingers crossed for Christmas... 'thankyou darling, thats a lovely single phase 1.5hp motor' but its more likely socks! lol

Also need a MK5 or Audi 3.2 inlet manifold so if anyone knows of one going? please let me know.

IMG_0052_1-1.jpg

IMG_0053_1-1.jpg

Just seen this thread for the first time and read the whole thing. I must say Im very impressed! Was getting excited when I thought it was going to get mapped and sorry for you that it never happened. At least now its going to be worth waiting for with R32 POWER!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, I have to say I am now really looking forward to getting the R32 in there. Cant want to hear it. I dont know what it was, maybe a mix of the tubular manifolds, my down pipe and magnex exhaust I had on there but the 2.8 sounded evil so the R32 should sound really good!

Ordered a new motor for the lathe and some aluminium this morning, hopefully that should arrive the first week of Jan so should have a good update soon after that....

No not a lot at the moment as I've been struggling to find time in the garage. I've nearly made the bits to get teh r32 running but still need to get a r32 fuel rail and inlet manifold. Also got a little distracted buying wheels and brakes! opps.

Going to order a new fuel rail as trying to find a used one is like finding hens teeth.

need to make some progress....

not registered there and dont really intend to either.

You wouldnt mind posting up some pics from there would you, Gareth?

Funnily i was also looking for some updates to A20Lee and Vick N (ex renshaw)'s cars too. They too seem to have disappeared from the forum, sadly.

Cheers!

I've also been doing quite alot to the rear of the car and just been going through my photos, heres a few of the progress....

No rear seats.

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

DSC_2865.jpg

DSC_2866.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

Its been soo long since I last worked on the car that it took me a good while just poking around to find out what I had got up to! It looks as though I got the R32 engine in situ then stopped there. So first job was to get the engine in properly. I started with fitting the cover which goes over the the pulleys and then fitting the cam cover.

Then I looked at the Inlet manifold, this was in need of some tlc, the variable inlet actuator was bust, the nipple the pipe attaches to was snapped and I also noticed on of the pipe fitting on the rear was broken to. Fortunatle I found a 2.8V6 inlet for sale locally, bought this as swapped the broken actuator. I needed to fix the pipe inlet on the rear, the molded in plastic one had snapped so i had to have a think was to how best to fix it. tried a couple of things which turned out to be useless. In the end I resorted to making my own, I had some various hydraulic fittings kicking about in the garage, like a larger brake bleed nipple. I turned one end down to suit the pipe it was to fit (the other end was still threaded) to fit it into the manifold. I cut flat the broken one and drilled a hole to suit the thread. As this was a hydrauic fitting, it has a weird thread. to get around this and to ensure an air tight fit I couter-bored the hole slightly so it would fit in it then heated the fitting up with a blow torch. when it was hot engouh to slightly melt the plastic surrounding it I could screw it in. I was very pleased with the result, its air tight and way stonger than the origonal!

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

I've decieded to go ahead and use as much as what I had made before ref the inlet, I i'm going to go ahead and use the VR6 throttle. I had previoulsy had this fitted to a 2.8V6 inlet manifold so i had to make a new adapter to suit the R32 one. This was time consuming as the mounting face has a lot going on! so some measuring, a little CAD and alot of time on the milling machine resulted in this....

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

The main hole in the center is tapered to smoothly transition from the R32 inlet dia to the smaller VR6 dia. The inner diameters matched up perfectly and while the outer shape fixes to the everything nicely I may revisit the perifery to get a better match - after I get the engine runnning and the car finished!

I also encountered a problem with the throttle clashing with the aluminium casting for the water pipe and the EGR system. I had previouslty blanked the EGR bit off without modifying the casting but as the throttle was now held differently there was now a new clash, so out with the hack saw, chop stuff off and back on the milling machine...

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

This also gave me more room for the throttle position connector. Before, I had to fit this to the throttle and then fit the throttle to the manifold.

I bought a new gasket for the manifold so fitted this. I also oreder new bolts for the manifold as they are a weird size (M7!) and as I bought my manifold and engine seperately I didn't have the old ones. Unfortunetly the VW dealer I got the parts from managed to confirm I needed 9, gave me a price for 9, then ordered ONE!!! so I have it held in place with the one I got but I cant progress at the front of the engine till I get the others, tomorrow apprently, or maybe it will take me nine orders to get all of them!

I attached a few more bits around the engine bay then called it a day there on the engine.

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Next job was to make some progress on the seat. Nothing had happened on this for ages, one, because I haven't looked at the car ages and 2 because I couldn't find any old seats to use to make subframes for them. Luckily the E38 Clasifieds came up trumps and I dashed out to pickup a pair of corrado fronts. I then stripped down the seats I'm going to fit and started to work out the best way of making the subframes...

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

(a few posts to summerise)

Not a lot to report progress wise. I got the new oil housing on but turning the engine over failed. No spark and I'm not convinced the fuel pump is working enough. Got a couple of hours tomorrow on the car so will have a good poke around. Confused though as I had the 2.8 running and all I have done is change the engine, hoping I've just missed a wire off something...

Err Cough Cough.... it works better with the crank sensor in!

Went through the wiring in the engine bay and I had a few things conected to wrong bits but nothing that would have stopped it from firing, so I got that sorted then started to look at every thinking else. I know the ignition coild takees its cue from the crank sensor so when i went to check that... It wass't even in the block! so a dig about in the garage and I found it, in and bingo - started first time!

Its a bit rough as I have litterally just connected stuff up where it lies (hence the coil pack just bolted onto the side of the head!) but startes quickly and with a little rev, it smooths out great. very pleased and I'm only an hour into today.

Oh, it has p!ssed oil all over the drive though as it would appear the seals to the oil cooler are shot. I'm going to leave the engine there untill I can get new seals so in the meantime I'm back on trimming the front seats.

Not a great deal dude, played with the engine a little and gottue seals inthe oil cooler sorted. Running a lot smoother now..

http://www.youtube.com/user/40tribetype#p/a/u/0/BNaD5I2WV7c

I've made a start on the seats. I'm hoping to have a good crack at finishing one seat on friday but thought I'd throw up a pic of the paneling of the centers.... (cr*ppy iphone photo, but you get the idea ;) )

52699b85.jpg

fd817e49.jpg

Ok, plans for this weekend didn't really turn out as I had planned but I have got some work done.

Continued to tidy the engine bay and get all the VR6 bits on.

When I did the 2.8 I added the VR6 inlet temp sensor into the inlet manifold which meant drilling and tapping into one of the inlet runners in a position similar to where it sits in the VR6. I was never really happy with this as it didn't seem robust enough to me. So this time I took some more time to sort a better solution out. I ending up with incorporating it into the throttle adapter I made (see pics). I really like this as a solution as it leaves the R32 inlet manifold completly std.

I did have to shave alittle off the throttle and the inlet to get this one to fit as the hex of the sensor overlapped the edges of the adapter. Thats fine for this one but if/when I get to do this again I will make the adaptor a couple of mm thicker and this would mean no mods to either the inlet of the throttle. All you need to do is lengthen the wiring to the new position.

photo-adapt2.jpg

photo-adapt1.jpg

photo-adapt3.jpg

DSC_5281.jpg

I then set about trying to sort a good position for the coild coil pack. this was tricky as the R32 inlet is designed for coil on plug so doesn't leave a good route for the HT leads to go from head to coil pack. Also there's a whole bunch of stuff hanging of the side of the engine which isn't there on VR6's, all the variable cam stuff.

I made this bracket which I think is a nice compomise, fits in the gap between the engine and the airbox and works around all the cam solenoids and sensors I also angled it so water will drain off the coil pack...

DSC_5282.jpg

DSC_5283.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg

DSC_5285.jpg

DSC_5286.jpg

DSC_5287.jpg

All thats needed now is to adjust the length of the HT leads and make something to nicely route them. In the future I would like to look into whether its possible to make an adapter harness to go from the coil pack VR6 harness to the R32 coil on plug. I've seem this done on some BMW's but it's a little project which can wait for the time being!

I also wheeled the 3D scanner out and started on scanning the rear env...

DSC_5280.jpg

your skillset never fails to impress Doug. One very accomplished enthusiast!

LOL thanks, it keeps me busy!

I've still got a fair bit of work to do aliging all the scans more acurately but I couldn't resist doing a quick rough model to see what it would look like...

dlarki23cage4.jpg

dlarki23cage2.jpg

dlarki23cage3.jpg

dlarki23cage1.jpg

just got to find a good place to order the steel from..?

(a few posts to summerise)

I also wheeled the 3D scanner out and started on scanning the rear env...

DSC_5280.jpg

I love the way you say that like it was the garden hose!!

Coil pack and leads look better than you described mate.

Jay

Quick update,

Car is now sat on the ground and pretty much back together ready(all be it roughly) for a remap however... I've hit a stumbling block in that I was hoping to get the car mapped by MRC in Banbury who I've only heard good things about but after speaking to them and explaining what I have done they didn't want to touch it, saying they did think it would run! it actually drives NOW so by my logic it cant actually be 'that' far away from working, right? (maybe i should drive it round!) It sounded to me that they didnt want to touch anything that wasn't straightforward

So what to do now...? I'd really like to learn what and how to remap the standard ecu but ideally I'd like someone with some experiance to show the the basics and workflow etc. Is there anyone on here that has tackled ecu tuning? I'm more than happy to spend the cash I was going to spend on the remap buying all the equipment I need, but I just need to learn how its done, the tricky bit seems to be reliably finding the correct map in the file to modify.