tribetype40

DOUGS 24V STORM-R - rear cage possibly?

Another superb project.. looks like the end of 2009 is shaping up to be a great Corrado project watching time of year :)

Great work Doug, heard some rumours about this car and it's not failing to impress! Eagerly awaiting more updates :D

Vick

Just engine degreaser from halfords, and a nail brush. If you think that was good though, check these puppies out....

While the engine was out I gave the injectors a clean. They went from this..

24-02-2009_03.jpg

Before,

24-02-2009_19.jpg

In the Ultrasonic cleaner,

24-02-2009_04.jpg

Filters were removed, then back into the cleaner (new cleaning fulid!)

24-02-2009_13.jpg

then ended up looking like this..

25-02-2009_06.jpg

25-02-2009_07.jpg

25-02-2009_08.jpg

Before refitting I tested them all. To do this I put one in the the old VR6 fuel rail (not fitted to the cylinder head but just hanging on the end of the fuel lines) turned the ignition on which primes the fuel lines, then off. I then put 12v to the injector untill the pressure run out. I squirted the fuel into a empty coke bottle and marked a line to show the amount of fuel it passed. I also made a mental note of how well the spray pattern looked (no jets etc). By doing this to each injector in turn I could make sure they were all matched for flow rate. They were all bang on, and all had a good spray pattern.

Damn thats good - i think i'll be buying one of those ultrasonic cleaners and you're right i'll be ultrasonically cleaning everything that looks remotely grubby :cuckoo: :clap:

great work cant wait for the next update.,is it running on 2.9 vr management if so how?or have i missed something :shrug:

Cheers, I will try and put another post up tonight but a little busy at the moment. Yes its running on standard vr6 ECU. I made a bunch of parts, mechanical and eletrical to make the magic happen! lol I'm waiting on a few more bits to allow me to finish off controlling the adjustable camshaft but I hope to have this sorted by the end of the weekend and (fingers crossed) hope to be booking it in somewhere to get it mapped next week!

Ok, just a quicky..

heres the standard OEM 2.8 cast iron manifolds..

25-04-2009_03.jpg

and the Tubular late spec Audi 3.2 one...

25-04-2009_02.jpg

25-04-2009_06.jpg

Audi 3.2,

25-04-2009_04.jpg

Its clear looking at the black mark on the 2.8 that the ports in the head are bigger and dont match up that well, looking at the 3.2 ones they are much better. Should be much more free flowing...

really liking the engineering you're putting into your project Doug - looks really nice.

i may well have to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner now thanks to you too!

looking forward to seeing the little list of bits and bobs that you've cobbled together to make it run with the obd1 ecu and how your going to control the vriable inlet and cams.

good work chap :clap:

MK4 engines have adjustable cams yes but its slightly different that the honda system. I think Vtec varies the timing and lift of the valve while the vw system is only timing. Early 24V's have a variable inlet cam only while the later engines and r32/audi 3.2 have variable inlet and exhaust cams

Eh, you can talk buddy! lol R32's looking impressive, certainly dissapeared quickly enough!

I was hoping to have a good day today and get the engine running all set up and check the activation of the cam advance... but, I seem to have had one of those days were, whatever you touch you ar5e up. I've always had a little crack in the sump that just weaped oil, so thought I'd pop it off and run a sliug of weld over it - long story short and a big hole late.... i need a new sump!lol as such I may have to delay I plan for getting it mapped next week :cuckoo:

So I cut my losses with the mechanical stuff and turned my attention to the interior. I have most of it trimmed now but today I did the headlining.

The old headlining looked fine but on closer inspection the material had started to come away from the substraight so 'the o'l fing'll 'ave to be redone'

It neded a little help where it would crease under its own weight on the thinner parts so I braceg it with a thin layer of glass fiber on either side,

DSC_2849.jpg

DSC_2850.jpg

DSC_2851.jpg

Then I test fitted the cover, and marked and cut the difficult areas of the sunvisor recesses,

DSC_2853.jpg

DSC_2854.jpg

DSC_2855.jpg

DSC_2856.jpg

When I was happy with that it was time to start sticking stuff, first up new foam (2mm)

DSC_2858.jpg

DSC_2860.jpg

The final fit of the alcantara...

DSC_2861.jpg

DSC_2862.jpg

DSC_2863.jpg

DSC_2864.jpg

I've also finished the 'A' 'B' and 'C' pillars....

DSC_2843.jpg

DSC_2844.jpg

Tomorrow its the sunroof out to trim that.

great skill there Doug, very impressive. Putting alcantara on the trims is what i ahve planned some time so i'll need to pick your brains on achieving a tight finish on those. Are they all covered with single pieces or have you stiched bits together for them?

Cheers,

B anc C pillare will need a stich line as it wont stretch enough to cover in one piece. The stitch line is what I've tried to show in that last pic. these show the patterns I made as a template first and a little bit of the process....

DSC_2831.jpg

DSC_2833.jpg

DSC_2834.jpg

DSC_2836.jpg

DSC_2841.jpg

DSC_2843.jpg

DSC_2844.jpg

heres some pics of when I fitted the mk4 airbox,

I'd fitted one before so knew what had to be done but this time I made a better job of everything and also used part of the old fan box so I could retain the fixing by the inlet for the fan. this also ment it would position it correctly without any guess work.

pictures show removal of the flange from the old box and fitting to the new mk4 box. Once in place I plastic welded the old to the new...

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

In the last picture you can see I had removed and blocked off the pipes and outlet that goes through the bulkhead for the aircon.... during our hot spell I took the heater box out and refitted it all ready for aircon..... well probably ready for winter now!

The original dash, was stripped right down and most of it cut up to leave only parts you can see.

The original Corrado dash was cut back and the new panels offered up. I kept cutting the corrado dash back until the new panels were in the correct place while trying to maintain all the heater ducting for the screen and face vents.

I also kept the end faces of the Corrado dash and the area around the streering coloum. This ment I knew the width would be as standard and there would be no probems going around the steering coloum and the door cards.

I also made a few changes from the origonal dash. I was never happy with the binnicle over the dials on the first dash so I made a new one with a more 'aggressive' style. the centre stack was also changed to be made from GF and have a more complex shape to hold the sat nav at a more horizontal angle ( i had problems with it reading the disc before)

IMG_4290-1.jpg

I increased the height of the center tunnel this time around so the bottom of the center had to be re-shaped

IMG_4285-1.jpg

New binnicle can be seen in this pic, it was later given thickness but i think those photos are on my phone, will try and get those up later.

IMG_4286-1.jpg

here I made the center stack infill panel and sorted the vents

544.jpg

545.jpg

552.jpg

553.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the many times it was painted in pimerfiller to get the perfect finish ready for trimming - but that was someway off at this stage!

536.jpg

Because of the new style centre tunnel I had to get creative with the handbrake - cue disc cutter and welder.....

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

off..

IMG_3797.jpg

on...

IMG_3796.jpg

The center tunnel in these photos was later thrown away as I wasn't happy with it. A new one was made to sit a little higher and I think could be seen in the earlier pics of the dash above.

all I can say is wow!!! and there is me worrying about a loose handbrake surround

lol

Looking like a very nice project......:)