robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Well she flew through the MOT . Just the usual advisery on the rear wheel bearings , which were brand new , so they were nipped up . Ive been working on the car recently. Ive now replaced the radiator, crack pipe , thermostat housing ,thermostat and the blue coolant sensor . Im now working on a poor idle problem . Ive checked the usual suspects and had to return to the drawing board . Im sure i will get to the bottom of it .

Thanks Mic . I'm sure i will find the problem , just need to keep on looking really . I cant expect much from a vagcom ,it is obd1 after all , so its down to me really . I forgot to mention i bought a new set of genuine mats as well . Oh and now she has new matching wishbones ,not one VR and one G60 lol.

It’s time for the winter works to begin. I’ve removed the rear seats and repainting them . Next will be the door cards and front seats . I’m off to resto shack on Saturday for some polishing after l left a plastic sheet on the wings and it rained, then dried and left marks . I’m sure there will be plenty of other jobs for me to do .

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the seats. Although I know it’ll likely be on Facebook as it’s not easy to put them on here.

Love the work the resto shack guys do 8)

I have been converting the switches and clocks back to Oem green . Nice to have it back to standard. I’ve still got the front seats to paint . I’m getting there lol.

Thought it was time i updated my thread . After checking the usual suspects i had to give in and put the car into a garage.Work is very busy as usual and as much as i like to sort out my problems on the car on my own or with a friend i just dont have the time at the moment and with it sat on the drive , not really drivable it was getting on my nerves . . ive been plastering a customers house on and off for a while now and got to know him fairly well . He's a mechanic , so we talked about the problems with the car and he said he will take the car and with my knowledge of the car and his old school mechanical skills it would get fixed .When i say knowledge of the car , im no mechanic but ive learnt a lot over 12 years about the car , that a mechanic thats never worked on one before might not know . As well as the sketchy idle the car started to splutter on corners and then up and down hills , this led me to think it was fuel starvation . so i found a new oem pump and that was installed . A working MAF was also fitted and a brand new oem lamda sensor . He also found a couple of wires that were suspect on the multi plug , which i some how missed . Ive been out in the car for two runs now and all seems to be well , she idles nicely and there is no more spluttering . Hopefully this issue is now solved . I have a local show to attend in july , after that the car will go into resto shack for a tiny rust spot on the rear arch lip where it meets the sill . Resto is the same company that i used to get all the rust cut out last year .Going out for a spin tonight was great , its lovely to hear that famous VR roar again !.I also had two new drive shafts fitted , which i should have done when i did all the underside work . I need to remove the off side wheel now and clean it , as its covered in grease from the split in the cv joint . Im now looking forward to summer motoring and the ccgb devon drive .

Edited by robrado974

Good stuff Rob. Glad you (fingers crossed) have sorted it, you've been plagued by intermittent idle and cutting out issues for a good few years now haven't you!? I'll definitely have to check out Resto Shack. It's actually quite close, and the quickest way to get there is through the country roads so would be a nice little trip down - if I ever get the car back on the road!

As you say mate fingers crossed, it was driving me nuts lol. Resto have a huge reputation, people bring their cars from all over the country to have work done, from a small job to full bare metal , every nut n bolt restoration. They really know their stuff . How’s your car getting on ?.

Not touched it in about a year. :(

House should be finished by the end of summer though so plan for now is to start back on it over winter. I don't have a huge amount of parts to get, so it's just time to do it all. Here's to hoping anyway!

Good news on the house mate . More important things have to take priority don’t they .It will soon be time to blow the cobwebs off .

That's great news to hear - good to be back up and running I bet.

It certainly is Fender , I’m just hoping that we have cured the problem now . I didn’t go for a long drive last night , maybe 10 miles?. But I made sure I went to the roundabout that was making it splutter before and all’s well so far . Really strange that I would let the car warm up , then drive a mile and a half get to the roundabout, do a left turn and it was spluttering, there’s other left hand turns before it .

Some updates . none good though . First of all we went on holiday a few weeks back . So the car was cleaned and i put the cover on it . I took the cover off when we got back only to find a cat has sat on the bonnet and done that stupid needing thing they do with their paws , the middle of the bonnet is covered in scratches , a bloke who was in the MOT centre today was admiring the car , he said the same thing to the MOT tester , its definately cat scratches . Fortunately they should polish out . On to the next grumble . She failed the MOT today because of rust on the rear sill . I knew the lip was going and have been talking to Dave at Resto shack to have it sorted . It was only when the tester started digging that the extent of the worm was revealed ,its quite a large hole in the sill . I guess thats me off the road for a while now till i can get the car booked in . My T4 has to come first as it's a work van , the MOT is in november and if there is anything major on that and ive done me dough on the car I'm in trouble .In 12 years of ownership the car has always passed with only advisorys on rear wheel bearings which just need tightning . Its had a couple of failures but only silly things . I will up date more when the car goes in .

Hi Rob,

sorry to hear about your rust gremlins,

luckily though you know a good guy at Resto shacks who will get her back to former glory.

Unfortunately rust is going to be a common issue on our Corrado's as they're all over 20 years old now.

Rob regarding your T4 van have it looked over, not a service but just a quick check of tyres, suspension, steering, lights, exhaust, windscreen, seat belts, shouldn't take any longer then 30 mins to 40 mins tops, then if anything flags up you'll have all October to get it sorted, before the actual MOT in November.

Si

Hi Si . Yes agreed rust is going to be an issue. I spent 3k a couple of years back having issues sorted. With regards to the T4 yes a check wouldn’t do any harm at all . It did go straight through last year and one of the best things about the T4 is they were galvanised , so rusting is a low risk.

Yeah I hear your £3000 blimey it is costly the old body shops, but it's all flipping labour that's the problem.

That's the reason why I'm trying to do as much as I can, because garage work shops and body shops are not cheap.

Regarding your T4 Rob they are awesome motor's, very versatile whether it's a van or the full blown people carrier version.

At work the sales guys have recently had new black T5s, they drive like a car so user friendly pretty much like the T4 really.

Every time they pull up I'm expecting the A-Team to jump out, or is that just me :lol:

Si

Yeah the old T4 is a good van Si . I’ve had it for 9 years and it hasn’t had an awful lot done to it in that time . I would love a nice new T6, the T4 is hard work to drive at times , very slow , but being a plasterer it would just get messed up. I had the some major work done on the car. The roof line at the windscreen edge was cut out ,both rear quarter edges under the windows, the boot lid (the usual spot ). Up and around the boot as well and some other bits . It was a lot of labour. When it goes in I’m going to get them to do any works needed to the underside as well, have a good poke around and make sure there is nothing else . My mate has just moved to Bournemouth, I went to visit him this year, nice place to be .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Yeah that's what I meant Rob we have new VW T6 vans at work, I'm always getting the T5 & T6 mixed up :lol:

Bournemouth is a nice place plus I'm right near the New Forest, which is pretty good for going off round on my mountain bike, well in the spring/summer anyway.

It's also nice being close to the beech.

I work right opposite Bournemouth Hurn Airport, which is good when the air show is on as you see most of the rare plane's taking off.

Rob regarding your Corrado I'd definitely get the underside checked just incase there's any other area's that might show up in next year's MOT.

Si

Yes I definitely will get the rest of the underside checked Si . I really enjoyed Bournemouth, the beach is fantastic. We have plenty of beaches in south devon, but not as good as Bournemouth. Still lovely though, when I was a kid we had to travel for 2 or 3 hours to get to a beach . I was happy swimming in the Thames though lol !.

Yes I definitely will get the rest of the underside checked Si . I really enjoyed Bournemouth, the beach is fantastic. We have plenty of beaches in south devon, but not as good as Bournemouth. Still lovely though, when I was a kid we had to travel for 2 or 3 hours to get to a beach . I was happy swimming in the Thames though lol !.

My god the Thames,

you're a brave man Rob :lol: :salute:

The mad things we do as kids :lol:

Si