robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Was never a fan of the beige interior in storms but it does look good with the black trim...

Nice work rob.

Good and good tunes on your c90 TDK tapes to play.... :)

Yep there's a few 90s dance tapes in there ! . I love the beige , black mix . It breaks it up and goes well together .

Looks great with black trim, those seats looks almost cream, is that the camera white balancing or have you dyed them slightly lighter?

I think it was Sean used the 95 beige from Gliptone ? . I got the info and used their product , its probably just because it's an iPhone pic .

Always another job uncovered when you start delving into it eh Rob! Good work mate and interior looks ace!

Thanks Sean . When I was younger I used to get on with it and loved messing around and fixing cars , I'm a little older now and I must say a little worried about delving into a job like this . Especially when your on your own.

Yep there's a few 90s dance tapes in there ! . I love the beige , black mix . It breaks it up and goes well together .

Was it ever a standard factory interior or something you mixed up.

It's defiantly not OEM . It was that long ago that I did it , I can't remember where I nicked the idea from . I'm certain it was from someone's car on the forum though .

Whilst my front end is off I've taken the opportunity to de-rust / respray and then waxoyl the battery tray area . Surprisingly easy with all that space[ATTACH]84342[/ATTACH]and definitely worth it.

Just another job to add to a never ending list.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Go on, you know you want to. ..although I hope yours is OK. The interior really does look great what you've done

Thanks Cressa . My battery tray is in pretty good nick , a little surface but not a lot . So yes I will be painting it too. When you lift the wiring up and see all that grease and grunge ! , but that's what's helped to preserve it .

I have now begun the front underside work . Despite some of the bolts being an absolute pig , we managed to get all the drivers side off , just the drive shaft to be removed . We had to leave it this way because nut that goes onto the hub would not budge at all . So my mate that works at kwikfit is going to remove the shaft from the gearbox end and take the lump to work and use the air gun on it tomorrow morning , to separate the hub .Speaking of the drive shafts , I'm not going to replace them . There is nothing wrong with them . All I need to do is prepare the shaft part and paint them . I'm doing this job , one side at a time . As I have said the front subframe is in great condition so I only need to prep that and paint it when the time comes . The rear one will be done in situ .I don't think I would recommend anyone to do this on a driveway it makes hard work of it . For instance having the leverage to undo rusted bolts is difficult . I had a spanner slip off a nut today as I had it wedged in the hub and was undoing the other side with a ratchet .It came off the nut and hit me straight between the eyes ! .

Edited by robrado974

Not a bad day on the car today . I had a small job to do in the morning then I got back to it . The large nut on the hub was removed and everything split . Then the bearing was pushed home into the refurbed hub. I de greased the driveshaft rod and the rear subframe , roughed them up and got them painted . I was really surprised at the condition of the disc guard , virtually rust free , so that was painted too . Good job really as the pair I got from heritage eight months or so back , are not correct , so they will be going back . Hopefully tomorrow we can get the new wishbone in and then fit it all back together . Am I looking forward to doing the other side ? Not really no !.pics to follow soon.

I had some great help today . Many thanks to Rog for helping me . We dropped the subframe in order for me to get that poxy sheared bolt out . Its not a job i wanted to tackle on my own . I can now drop it down to a mate to see if he can weld a nut on the sheared bolt to get it out . Then i can prep it and paint it before it goes back in and fit new mounts while im at it . so things will come to a halt for a while . Im in no rush , the car is now sorn and i still have the crossmember to remove prep and paint , the new sump to fit , fit the painted radiator support and fit everything back together . I will remove and clean up any earth straps that i can see too as they look very corroded . I may well see other parts that need sorting while the front end is off !, you can go on and on really .

I put it off for around two years lol . The parts have been under the spare bed for a long time .Just a shame that one of the twelve bolts had to shear . The rest came out first try after soaking them with plus gas . Oh well at least I get to refurb the subframe properly .

I did one side then went to do the other side , when that pesky bolt sheared . So I had to drop the lot . Pics will follow when I've finished . I did take some of the finished side , but they didn't look great . The finished pics will inc the new sump too .

Just updating my thread . Thanks to Stuey B, I now have a second hand subframe on the way . We welded nuts on the old one , heated it , but the bolt would not give in , so I chucked it out . So I've now got the antiroll bar to paint , I've just ordered new rubbers for this as mine were shot . I also ordered new mounts all round . I'm looking forward to getting this lot back together soon .

Anti roll bar is now painted and the metal clips that fit over the rubber bushes . My new mounts arrived today . So I'm waiting on my subframe from Stu, which is on the way . I will then prep and paint it . I've decided to not to buy a new sump , the old one can be painted too.

My birthday is on the 23rd . So "er in doors " asked what I wanted . So I will get the new sump . I've started to paint the subframe. I coated it in engine de greaser and cleaned it three times . I count my lucky that the car it came off of , must have been leaking oil which has protected it really well and stopped it rusting.So after using a wire brush in the drill I had a good key for painting . Tomorrow I will ring heritage and order the bolts needed to reassemble the frame to the chassis.

How did you deal with the steering rack assembly when you dropped the subframe mate? Only asking as I'm at that bit, unsure if I should unbolt it off the subframe or undo it further up the column? I'm swaying towards taking it off the S/F which will allow me to (hopefully) avoid draining the steering?

I unbolted mine off the subframe, probably as it was easy