jazzdevil

The all-purpose F1 thread...

I can't remember which of Clarkson's 100s of DVD's it's on, but there's a brilliant clip of a battle between Renee Arnoux (sp?) and Jaque's Villeneuve's dad (sp? again!) from the early 80s. They were only figthing for 3rd or 4th or something, but there were more overtakes over those 2 or 3 laps than an entire season's worth from the current F1. And the cars touched a few times and didn't disintigrate into a carbon fibre crumbs like they do now.

That'll be this bit of footage then... legendary! :salute:

[youtube:2cgh42y1]

[/youtube:2cgh42y1]

No that was some games console style racing. Which is what we need more of.

Bring back the turbo cars, and let the designer have free range on the cars look but cap the money they can use on each area of the car like ya much for power, ya much for areo and ya much for traction/handling (not to low so nothing can be done but not so high the bigger team can fund there way to the top) then we might see some interesting races.

my 2p

What I don't understand is how no-one thought of this beforehand?! Or if they did I wonder if they were just shouted down. The manufacturers must have known it was going to be a huge let down...

That was a huge disappointment, I had been so looking forward to the start of the season.

Qualifying was quite interesting and with all the talk, I had been expecting Barrichello in 11th to make a much bigger impact in the first part of the race with the harder tyres.

With reference to race tactics and re-fuelling, often this was only done once or twice in a race.

There still will be the tyre changes and despite these only taking approx 4 seconds, they still will be out of the race for approx 25seconds, so I think the decision of when to pull a driver in and feed him back out will still be in play and have effect.

I am really hopeful, that due to none of the drivers having ever had to drive cars with full tanks and make them last a full race, naturally looking after their brakes too -which are given extra wear due to the full tanks - that they just need to get used to it and so this was very much a shake down race and things will get better.

I do hope so, or I will just be watching Qualifying. !!

What a BORING BORING CIRCUIT too. The track was really wide with no points of interest, hardly a tree, let alone a bridge and hardly any spectator stands either.

Not that they needed any more as I hardly saw any spectators.

I think the Mercedes looks really good and it was nice that Lotus were able to get both cars home, even if they were a lap or two behind.

Lets hope things improve.............

Bring back the turbo cars, and let the designer have free range on the cars look but cap the money they can use on each area of the car like ya much for power, ya much for areo and ya much for traction/handling (not to low so nothing can be done but not so high the bigger team can fund there way to the top) then we might see some interesting races.

my 2p

Agreed :D

The turbo engines back in the 70s/80s were a tad dangerous with the temperatures involved, refuels burning the drivers in the pits, engine meltdowns out on the track, grenaded engine parts flying into other drivers etc all being reasons why they were axed.

But it's the 21st century now and massive improvements have been made in these areas, so would be fine to bring back the turbo beasts again :salute:

BMW made 1500hp from a 1.5 litre turbo engine in the 80s, imagine what they could do now!

What a BORING BORING CIRCUIT too.

Yep, and bumpy as hell in places too. Jensen was saying on Saturday how he couldn't use the brakes fully on some sections as the car bounced around so much, he couldn't actually see where he was going and it jarred his back too, so had to go in slowly, which added to the dullness of the race even more. The track condition was borderline unusable and I'm surprised they actually allowed it to go ahead. Obviously the some pocket lining going on with the rich sheikhs and Moseley/Ecclestone :roll:

dont understand the facination with Turbo F1 cars......yes during this period the racing was far more exciting and some of the races were legendary - but surely this was down to the areo packages and tyre development - or lack off :scratch:

IMO formula one has got dull as the teams are so closely matched with their areodynamics not because they lack engine power :shrug:

It's pretty simple. Before the aerodynamics got so sophisticated it used to an advantage to be following another car closely. These days the cars are so sensitive in this area and the airflow from the car in front is so dirty that it's a distinct disadvantage.

It's pretty simple. Before the aerodynamics got so sophisticated it used to an advantage to be following another car closely. These days the cars are so sensitive in this area and the airflow from the car in front is so dirty that it's a distinct disadvantage.

exactly..... :tongue:

Sorry... was there a GP last weekend? I must have dozed off...

No, no... there was an F1 themed show-and-tell. Teams showed their cars and drivers, everyone now telling what's wrong with it.

Sorry, I've missed most of this thread. I started to watch the Grand Prix on Sunday and just woke up.

Bring back ground-effect cars...only solution....cheap/easy/efficient....should never have been banned! would even up the whole field and produces very little turbulent wake, that prevents cars toeing in behind one another.

Schumacher obviously feels he has something to prove other wise he wouldnt have come out of retirement. I also feel it may not be as easy for him as some may think it will be.

Looking back, it seems these were prophetic words sir :)

Schumacher obviously feels he has something to prove other wise he wouldnt have come out of retirement. I also feel it may not be as easy for him as some may think it will be.

Looking back, it seems these were prophetic words sir :)

I wouldnt write off the old timer just yet !!

.......these might not be prophetic words though :)

:lol:

Nope its still early days, but he needs to up his game if he wants to get passed the slower cars or keep the Virgin racing cars behind him :lol:

But he at least has finished in the points.

Good race though!

Great race, its just a shame it relied on rain to produce it......but hey lets look on the bright side - hamilton, webber, vettel and shuey are all gonna be mad up for it at the next race !!

Shame Kubica didnt get more of a mention through the race........Alonso showed his class though - legend :notworthy:

after qualifying are the teams only allowed to re-fuel?

I.e no spanner work.

Thinking about this redbul ride hight thing.

With race fuel on board hamiltons car was quicker than Mark webbers.

In qualifing there was a huge difference in speed in favour of the redbull in relation to the mclarens. :shrug:

after qualifying are the teams only allowed to re-fuel?

I.e no spanner work.

Thinking about this redbul ride hight thing.

With race fuel on board hamiltons car was quicker than Mark webbers.

In qualifing there was a huge difference in speed in favour of the redbull in relation to the mclarens. :shrug:

yep refuel and front wing. AND yes it does make you wonder hmmmm :scratch:

I guess the simplist answer is that their car is optimized for low fuel running.

Maybe they think that with the new regs,overtaking will be differcult and thus it's all about being at the front to start with.

I'd also add a mention for Tonio Liuzzi, 'best of the rest' for the second race in sucession - looks like Force India have a really good package this year :salute:

I'd also add a mention for Tonio Liuzzi, 'best of the rest' for the second race in sucession - looks like Force India have a really good package this year :salute:

Indeed its really good to see them making progress. :D

It will give a little hope to the new teams, seeing a one new team improving each year.

The thing with the redbull cars if they were optimised to run on low fuel ie low ride height, then how arent they dragging their arses along the floor on full fuel load?

The thing with the redbull cars if they were optimised to run on low fuel ie low ride height, then how arent they dragging their arses along the floor on full fuel load?

:)

That is a problem isn't it.

:)

That is a problem isn't it.

Certainly is. You could hear the boards skipping on the floor and funnily enough you could hear webbers car skipping on the road during the end of the race.

Anyone else heard a rumour that one of the teams have approached VW about supplying engines, or have I overdosed on real ale?