Sign in to follow this  
millerman

263 cams

im getting my 263 cams from leon on thursday :clap:

question is when i fit em do i have to get it remaped or will they run ok without ?

obviously i will get it remaped but not this side of xmas or is it worth waiting as i still use the car (but not as a daily)

any thoughts

I bet 95% of forum users will tell you to get a remap but I'm making good power without, should've really taken you out in mine at the meet so you could see how it went.

They'll be fine without but just budget it for the future if you want the best out of them, my only gripe with a remap is it's like admitting that your finished tuning it, I can't see me ever getting to that stage :)

I bet 95% of forum users will tell you to get a remap but I'm making good power without, should've really taken you out in mine at the meet so you could see how it went.

They'll be fine without but just budget it for the future if you want the best out of them, my only gripe with a remap is it's like admitting that your finished tuning it, I can't see me ever getting to that stage :)

ha ha nice one mate oh tom you busy at the weekend :lol:

Most of the time you can get away without remapping, so long as the mods don't exceed the control limits of the lambda & Mass air flow meter etc. But there will always be the odd few cars that do need a remap to see the full benefits.

The main benefit of the remap is to reprofile the fuel and ignition tables to get the most from the changes in air flow.

I never remapped mine when it had a Schrick and 268s etc on it and it drove a very nicely indeed. But I drove a similar spec engine not long after which had been remapped (by AMD) and it was a night / day difference.

just spoke to my local friendly stealer as i was going to replace the tappets and springs (although nothing wrong with mine as they are not noisy :D )

price is £266.04 for hydro tappets and £121.92 for outer and inner springs :shock: does that sound right ?? :shrug:

Yes that sounds right for dealer tappet prices.

There's really no need. Just pop down to GSF and get 12 from them instead @ £6.50 each. Before you take them away, turn them buckets upside down and look for an "INA" stamp inside. If they are, that's exactly what VW use. If they're plain and unmarked, reject them cause those ones are sheeeite.

Most of the time you can get away without remapping, so long as the mods don't exceed the control limits of the lambda & Mass air flow meter etc. But there will always be the odd few cars that do need a remap to see the full benefits.

The main benefit of the remap is to reprofile the fuel and ignition tables to get the most from the changes in air flow.

I never remapped mine when it had a Schrick and 268s etc on it and it drove a very nicely indeed. But I drove a similar spec engine not long after which had been remapped (by AMD) and it was a night / day difference.

ta for the advise :salute:

Kev, would I be right in saying that a lot of remaps just take away some of the safety factor built in by the manufacturer on the ignition/fuel maps?

I was wondering about the schrick and why you benefit from a remap. The fueling should be a product of the mass of air going into the engine, the schrick isn't magicing air up, so, even though the cylinders may get filled more quickly, that air will have passed through the MAF so it should be accounted for. Or does the MAF not handle high rates of change well?

Kev, would I be right in saying that a lot of remaps just take away some of the safety factor built in by the manufacturer on the ignition/fuel maps?

I was wondering about the schrick and why you benefit from a remap. The fueling should be a product of the mass of air going into the engine, the schrick isn't magicing air up, so, even though the cylinders may get filled more quickly, that air will have passed through the MAF so it should be accounted for. Or does the MAF not handle high rates of change well?

must admit i was thinking along the same lines which is why i asked in the first place its all a matter of letting air and fuel in to the cylinders

must admit i was thinking along the same lines which is why i asked in the first place its all a matter of letting air and fuel in to the cylinders

My thoughts too - but when Vince did VAG-hag's back in May 2008 there were some noticeable jagged areas in the 3d plots that he does which were ironed out and resulted in a sublimely velvety smooth motor. It maybe that numbers-wise there was not a lot of difference, but driver-reward wise, to quote Kev, it was night/day. :D

As far as the schrick is concerned, it completely changes the way the engine recieves it's air.

At the peak of it's tuning (around 3000rpm) there is around 6psi positive pressure hitting the inlet valves. It's all very clever 3rd and 4th order pulse tuning, or some such cobblers, that i don't fully understand and is why a lot of VR6s pink at that rpm. A remap here would pull the timing and add a dash more fuel and the result if that is big gain in torque. If you don't remap it, the pinking just kills the torque and power.

Cams obviously don't have such a profound effect but the principal is the same, to trim the timing and fuel to generate peak torque :d

OBD2 tends to work better as it has vastly better lambda and knock control, but OBD1 doesn't do too bad a job.

Re the maf, the ecu has set fuelling points for a given load and if the load exceeds the fuel set in that load site (or falls below it as per an air leak) you run into problems! Same with timing. The ecu will attempt to fill in gaps whilst in closed loop but when in open loop (full throttle) you have fewer adaptation options.

thanks for the answers guys i think its safe to say i wont have any problems fitting without a re-map but at a later date would be well worth it :D

Great thread at perfect timing!! I've got 263's to be fitted and was wondering exactly the same thing re : a re-map. Shall press on and get them fitted I think.

What's the verdict on just replacing the tappets and springs because it's a good time to do it then? Don't think mine need to be replaced (just done 100,000 but feels fine and no nasty sounds) but seeing as it'll be cracked open would it be sensible to replace them??

My 2p...

When I had my head done I was having a chat with the head builder (one of the best in the business who works for tuners, racing teams and manufacturers) and he said that the VR6 springs are very good and rarely fail. I was going to replace them but he advised not to bother as only need replacing if they have a fault, so I didn't and have not regretted it.

I used the INA buckets from GSF - no problems.

I had the remap as I wanted one anyway after driving a mates VR (completely std) with a remap. It was just so much more responsive and had better torque through the mid range. Combined with my 263 cams, the car is much more responsive (night/day as previously mentioned), quicker and (on the rare occasion of not using the extra performance) the same or more economical. Overall it makes it much more enjoyable and the torque come in much stronger and earlier.

Love it now :cheers:

A map isn’t essential but I got mine mapped after fitting the 263's and there was a clear increase between running a standard map and a custom one.

Prior to the mapping i noticed an improvement running the 263's on a standard map, but it suffered from a little pinking now and again so a little correction was needed in my case.

A map isn’t essential but I got mine mapped after fitting the 263's and there was a clear increase between running a standard map and a custom one.

Prior to the mapping i noticed an improvement running the 263's on a standard map, but it suffered from a little pinking now and again so a little correction was needed in my case.

Brilliant, exactly what we needed to hear! Thanks. :)

how much would cams improve a turbo VR?? next year i will be getting it mapped as i up the boost so i could "throw" some in :lol:

[quote="millerman"

when Vince did VAG-hag's back in May 2008 there were some noticeable jagged areas in the 3d plots that he does which were ironed out and resulted in a sublimely velvety smooth motor. It maybe that numbers-wise there was not a lot of difference, but driver-reward wise, to quote Kev, it was night/day. :D

True story :clap:

how much would cams improve a turbo VR?? next year i will be getting it mapped as i up the boost so i could "throw" some in :lol:

they work well with FI mate. search on here plenty of info 8)

You'll get some very worthwhile gains with a turbo! Much better midrange and top end :D

You'll get some very worthwhile gains with a turbo! Much better midrange and top end :D

ummmm, think i need to add cams and charge cooler to next years shopping list :norty:

Here is a noob question. I'll be getting my engine renovated in the future (its getting to that milage) and i was wondering - what are the benefits of fitting 263 cams as compared to the normal cams? Are the gains worth the cost? Obviously with the engine stripped down that s the best time to get it done. This would give me some time to ponder and decide which way to go forward in the future.

Here is a noob question. I'll be getting my engine renovated in the future (its getting to that milage) and i was wondering - what are the benefits of fitting 263 cams as compared to the normal cams? Are the gains worth the cost? Obviously with the engine stripped down that s the best time to get it done. This would give me some time to ponder and decide which way to go forward in the future.

yes it would be worth it :D