Sign in to follow this  
lilfuzzer

vr6 battery?

Hi all would like some suggestions for a new battery.

I plan on running some reasonable ice next year. ran a bosch (cant remember the code) on my last one. just concerned about room?

Anybody have any ideas the best battery to go for thanks

i had to up rate a battery in my van last year.

i meausured the place it was going into and then took a trip to the local GSF ( or motor mart etc )

tell them the size and ask them for the largest Amp hour ( AH ) one to the required dimension.

i got me a 100ah banner one for £85 fits a treat and lots of juice on tap. :clap:

or run a seperate battery for the ice and drop in a split charge relay so you never have to worry about the engine one draining and the ice one can sit in the boot.

I had to get a new battery for mine a bit ago, after a quite lengthy discussion with the guy in the battery shop he sold me a battery which he said was superior to lead acid batteries. Its a MONBAT Megalight, he told me it is more used for traction and long current drains, but also has the ability to provide great starting power too. Its what he uses to start his 4 litre diesel. It uses AGM (absorbent glass mat) technology, instead of lead acid. I really rate it, before with my other battery if i left the car for a week and half it would not start. I left this for nearly 4 weeks and it started first time.

i had to up rate a battery in my van last year.

i meausured the place it was going into and then took a trip to the local GSF ( or motor mart etc )

tell them the size and ask them for the largest Amp hour ( AH ) one to the required dimension.

i got me a 100ah banner one for £85 fits a treat and lots of juice on tap. :clap:

or run a seperate battery for the ice and drop in a split charge relay so you never have to worry about the engine one draining and the ice one can sit in the boot.

Cheers bud I did think of running 2 batteries but dont fancy that really. Thanks for the info my look into iceviolets make as sounds pretty good as the car sometimes doeant move for a while although I try and start it regulary sometimes life gets in the way. :salute:

I had to get a new battery for mine a bit ago, after a quite lengthy discussion with the guy in the battery shop he sold me a battery which he said was superior to lead acid batteries. Its a MONBAT Megalight, he told me it is more used for traction and long current drains, but also has the ability to provide great starting power too. Its what he uses to start his 4 litre diesel. It uses AGM (absorbent glass mat) technology, instead of lead acid. I really rate it, before with my other battery if i left the car for a week and half it would not start. I left this for nearly 4 weeks and it started first time.

Cheers bud good info, whereabouts did you get it from ?

is it pretty easy to get hold of as fancy the starting power too.

Thanks again :clap:

Varta calcium higher cold crank rate and storage capacity go for either blue or silver 3 year warrenty i've used tons them over the years no issues at all cant say the same about banner batteries had a pallet full to return over a 12 month period all had issues with storage and charging

go to your local motor factors who stock them

www.varta-automotive.com

stick in your postcode

and no i dont work for them or have any association with them i just like a decient product and stick to it

Ok well ive got the biggest halfords batt that would fit and tbh i run 1.5k rms of bass and my voltage is pretty good etc, car always starts 1st time even after a couple weeks! Oh and like supercharged said, you get the 5yr guarantee from halfords... cost 100ish so good buy me thinks!

I Googled 'MONBAT Megalight' and all i got was this thread and something in russian Cyrillic script,

Which Google couldn't translate!! :epicfail:

Mine came with a Halfords battery and the snob in me expected it would be sh#te and would need to be binned, but to be honest I can't fault it. I quite often don't drive mine for up to a month at a time, and it still starts!!

Mark

The average Corrado VR6 drains about 70 mA so will flatten the average battery in 3-4 weeks.

If you have the ability to do it (i.e. a garage or a driveway close to a window), your best bet is a cheap and cheerful lead acid battery and a trickle charger to maintain its state. As long as you don't allow a lead acid battery to become discharged it will theoretically never let you down.

If you use your car every day, of course, none of this is a problem ..

The average Corrado VR6 drains about 70 mA so will flatten the average battery in 3-4 weeks.

If you have the ability to do it (i.e. a garage or a driveway close to a window), your best bet is a cheap and cheerful lead acid battery and a trickle charger to maintain its state. As long as you don't allow a lead acid battery to become discharged it will theoretically never let you down.

If you use your car every day, of course, none of this is a problem ..

Thanks it is the daily but when off work sometimes can go for a week and a half or so without being used. This time my own fault knew battery was getting to the end of its life and killed it.

Thanks again think going to have a trip to halfords and discuss

ive had 3 of the halfords calcium super duper £75- £80 jobbies and they are all cat arse

so this time i got a yuasa 075 heavy duty jobbie and its doing the job very well (so far anyway)

my 2 pence worth :D

I Googled 'MONBAT Megalight' and all i got was this thread and something in russian Cyrillic script,

Which Google couldn't translate!! :epicfail:

you not try http://www.monbat.com ???

the megalight is listed as a stationary battery but also says can be used for starting.

which megalight have you got?

mort

I think its the second one down on the list on the website, DIN 81060

Cost me £90 which i didnt think was bad

mort

Sorry if I've missed something, but whereabouts did you get it?

vw do quantum batterys , not to bad for the corrado either, 30-40 quid three yr warranty! see ok, never let me down yet. :D

Yeah, heard good things about them but Varta are only a fiver more and you get another year warranty.

sometimes I think some battery prices are just hiked a bit to cover the longer warrantys and are no different to the lower priced ones with shorter warrantys,

having said that I've claimed for a new one after three years, so if you use the car infrequently and it gets less of a regular workout it's probably worth the extra cover.

mort

Sorry if I've missed something, but whereabouts did you get it?

I got it from a shop local to me in Dewsbury called Valley Batteries, They just sell batteries nothing else. Unfortunately their website is not up and running yet.

Best delivered prices for Varta Dynamic batteries (LxHxW - 278x175x175mm) I've found on the interweb are:-

Black (E9) 70Ah, 640A cold crank - £73.98 - www.dcbatteries.com

Blue (43) 72Ah, 680A cold crank - £80.00 - www.advancedbatterysupplies

Silver (E38) 74Ah, 750A cold crank - £89.98 - www.dcbatteries.com

If this is any help. My valver seems to eat batteries in two years (almost to the day :shock: ) so I'm looking a couple of weeks in advance!!