Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Isnt insurance a pain!!! vr6 might have to go

Im really unhappy that my insurance renwal has gone up alot from last year at a time when I cant afford it.

So it could well be time for the VR6 to go. I might be putting it on here shortly for a SWAP for someones 8v or 16v.

:(

You'll find that a 16v or 8v wont save you much on insurance mate, if anything :(

I assume you've had a good ring around?

Yeah and its still pretty high. its just really bad timing aswell.

My 16v cost me £360 over the year. My VR6 is just short of £600.

Renewal prices always go up, that why you should shop around

2l 16v is a group 17 insurance for some obscure reason, so, like walesy said it's not going to make hardly any difference.

give these guys a call http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/, i spoke to them last year for a quote on another car but while i was talking to them i got one for the corrado. the guy i spoke to was great, had a good chat about a mk1 with a vr engine transplant from a corrado.

he said they benchmark the price according to age, under 25 was a minimum of £500 but over was £300

yeah Insurance is a major 'scare-away' for potential owners.

Especially over here Ireland (we should be in the World Cup you know :bad-words: )

My Insurance is 1740euro per year - and that's actually not bad for a 2.9 here.

Petrol is currently 1.29euro a litre here (or 1.14pounds) is that good? :shrug:

Petrol down here in Cornwall is £1.109 a litre at the moment and insurance is very good too, i paid £189 fully comp with protection for my VR6 !

Renewal prices always go up, that why you should shop around

2l 16v is a group 17 insurance for some obscure reason, so, like walesy said it's not going to make hardly any difference.

give these guys a call http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/, i spoke to them last year for a quote on another car but while i was talking to them i got one for the corrado. the guy i spoke to was great, had a good chat about a mk1 with a vr engine transplant from a corrado.

he said they benchmark the price according to age, under 25 was a minimum of £500 but over was £300

I will give them a try and see. It just annoys seeing as the price of a corrado has fallen alot. I could prob get insured for similar money on a Golf R32

Im really unhappy that my insurance renwal has gone up alot from last year at a time when I cant afford it.

So it could well be time for the VR6 to go. I might be putting it on here shortly for a SWAP for someones 8v or 16v.

I have my VR insured with adrain flux, £360 fully comp, & they always try 1 on by giving a higher quote than last yr at renewal time

a quick hunt around,beat their offer then ring them 2 get them 2 reduce their price & I renew

give em a try & get the VR kept :)

I have my VR insured with adrain flux, £360 fully comp, & they always try 1 on by giving a higher quote than last yr at renewal time

a quick hunt around,beat their offer then ring them 2 get them 2 reduce their price & I renew

give em a try & get the VR kept :)

I do exactly the same with HIC. They hike up my price, i call Adrian flux who give me a much better price and HIC match it. Thing is I think they are the same company?!?

I always do a quick shop around for my main car (moneysupermarket, confused etc) and then ring Adrian Flux back. I've pretty much been with them for 15 years because when the renewal price comes through (and yes it jumps by 20-30%) they guarantee to beat any quote.

If I haven't been with AF then it's been with Performance direct (www.performancedirect.co.uk). When it came to the VR, AF could get close (£320 ish - next cheapest quote) but PD wiped the floor with everyone else at £200 ! That's with an agreed value on a fully comp classic car policy with my fiance' as a named driver.

They're both professional outfits and I have no issues recomending them due to their high level of service.

Well after looking this morning on a fair few sites. Direct Line are currently winning. Still waiting to hear back from Adrian Flux.

Im with driect line and I pay just under £300 for me and my wife fully comp on the VR6 (30 and 28, cars parked on the road, I live in a little village in the middle of no-where), I'm not sure whether they'd insure a modded Corrado though?

Im with driect line and I pay just under £300 for me and my wife fully comp on the VR6, I'm not sure whether they'd insure a modded Corrado though?

My VR6 is standard, I think its prob down to age (26) and area (Middlesex/Surrey)

Im with driect line and I pay just under £300 for me and my wife fully comp on the VR6, I'm not sure whether they'd insure a modded Corrado though?

My VR6 is standard, I think its prob down to age (26) and area (Middlesex/Surrey)

I think it's definitely to do with age plus where you keep the car (garage vs off road parking vs on-street). I ran a VR6 when I was 26 back in 1997 - oh those were the days :clap: . It was expensive back then too!

I think I'm paying close to a grand for the 16v and the VR. Gone up about £200 in a year.

My aim was under £500 for my valver, Just managed it with Brent Acre £480, (24 years old 5 Years NCB) hopefully my renewal will be lower as i've hit the magic 25 years old. So if it doesn't go down at least it's lower excesses!

Insurance is a pain. Other half always seems to get good prices £700 for a 200SX with mods declared (only 23 at the time with 4 yrs ncb) - He's with Sky.

I would say go with the non main stream insurance companies and you should get a good price, but saying that have you tried bell, they are good for the fact you can cut stuff out of the policy that you don't need.

Are you getting quotes for TPFT or Fully comp??

blimey i think im payng around £300 odd quid for the vr6 with chris knott and i pay £480 on my bmw 130i msport all fully comp protected no claims etc :D

Renewing mine in a month, been with HIC but will be leaving if they can't match £413. Last years was £560!

Thats with 4 yrs NCB, kept on road overnight. (I'm 33 :( )

My aim was under £500 for my valver, Just managed it with Brent Acre £480, (24 years old 5 Years NCB) hopefully my renewal will be lower as i've hit the magic 25 years old. So if it doesn't go down at least it's lower excesses!

Insurance is a pain. Other half always seems to get good prices £700 for a 200SX with mods declared (only 23 at the time with 4 yrs ncb) - He's with Sky.

I would say go with the non main stream insurance companies and you should get a good price, but saying that have you tried budget, they are good for the fact you can cut stuff out of the policy that you don't need.

Are you getting quotes for TPFT or Fully comp??

Don't be fooled - I don't think there's any magic age. I was getting some stupid quotes on my old valver when I came to renew this time last year and I'm 28 with 9 years no claims ffs.. with insurance it always seems that the goal posts move.. so if you get to 25, then the magic age is 30. If you've got 3 years no claims, the magic amount is 6 years. There's no magic age or amount - it's all just bull$hit!

I couldn't get quotes below 500 quid till I spoke to Lynbrook Insurance and they put me on a limited mileage classic policy which covered me for non-competetive track use, gave me 60 days european breakdown, and various other things for a shade over £200. Just amended it recently for my move to Kenilworth as it won't be kept in a garage any more and also added occasional work use and it only took it up to £267. Chuffed to bits with them!

Not sure if this helps but my renewal came up for £652 this year and I'm 22 with a modified VR. That's with Admiral and I was previously insured with Bell, I tried a few insurance brokers advertised on these forums and none of them could even come close.

a 189.00 squid to insure a vr :shock: take it ,it is standard car?.adrian flux want 440.00 +breakdown is extra ,my vr is modified but i am 40 years old !!

a 189.00 squid to insure a vr :shock: take it ,it is standard car?.adrian flux want 440.00 +breakdown is extra ,my vr is modified but i am 40 years old !!

Yep £189 i'm 36 and it's quite rural where i am, car crime is almost non existant. The cars standard for the moment but i've collect a fair few bits to throw at it, next years policy might not be so cheap! :(

ahh thought it might be will keep shoppin around till i find good price ,n yep you watch yours shoot up when mods added :(