biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

cheers lads.

update..

Tdi gears are all in the the rallye casing now. New outter bearings, re-floted gear stacks, tdi final drive and crown wheel on rallye diff with peloquin bolt kit :) .. bolted it all back up and dropped the engine back in this afternoon. I've raised the engine by 3mm as well to help the prop clear the PAS hard line pipes as its been rubbing. So hopefully next weekend I'll be able to finish putting everything back in and take it for a spin to trial the tdi ratios...

Meanwhile haldex parts are now being collected so if you have a rear diff, prop, gearbox+ trans going cheap let me know.. pm me.

cheers

Ben

Nice one.... been thinking about the diesel gears myself actually.....but sticking with a lower diff and just using the tdi cogs for extra strength.

Any ideas what kind of torque they can stomach? I'm not up on my gearboxes, so which box do I need to rummage around in, or is it best to fit the whole thing?

What's shot peening and stress relieving when it comes to gearboxes?! :-)

What's shot peening and stress relieving when it comes to gearboxes?! :-)

They're techniques to alter the physical properties of the materials that the parts are made out of.

Shot Peening is esentially like shot blasting, but it uses small steel balls fired very fast. I *think* it increases the hardness of the surface, a bit like case hardening.

For gearboxes, you want a hard surface, and a tough 'inside' So that the gears don't wear but can absorb shock loading.

Stress relief is typically achieved through heat treatments. Steel 'work hardens' as it is deformed, it gets harder due to the carbon deposits in the microstructure. Stress relieving heat treatments remove these stresses....

No worries. My description is a bit vague, but my main experience with shot peening was with a mates thesis, and I don't really remember it properly.

hi guys.. sorry can't get onto the forum at work, just started a new job working for Mercedes-Benz World... (check the site out.. might be able to do a discount on AMG driving experiences if you guys want to come and visit?)

Anyway.. cheers 'saysomestuff' but its too new and not easy to fit, (mounts are in the wrong place from the ealier versions of the haldex diff) but thatnks! Also I think 200 is a little steep, reckon 100 quid for a rear diff as they are so common now.

Kev.. its a big myth that tdi gears are stronger! They are identicle layout and strength as any other 02j, A, C gear set. Only difference are the ratios! If you can go 02M, I would! seriously, not worth peeing around with tdi gears unless you have a set of 02m items. Thats why I'm going haldex. I have 2 mates who have both launched their 450+bhp cars at 5-7k revs more than 150 times a piece and so far have NOT broken anything on the haldex setup... why pay out loads for Quaife or other after market cogs when factory 02m ones are good for at least 600bhp!! The answer is so simple!

My tdi gears are just to get me by until i can afford to go haldex.

Ben

Ben ur not on msn lately lol

didnt know u was at merc's you know me and pete are AMg lovers lol

anyhow speak to you later mate :)

Kev.. its a big myth that tdi gears are stronger! They are identicle layout and strength as any other 02j, A, C gear set. Only difference are the ratios! If you can go 02M, I would! seriously, not worth peeing around with tdi gears unless you have a set of 02m items. Thats why I'm going haldex. I have 2 mates who have both launched their 450+bhp cars at 5-7k revs more than 150 times a piece and so far have NOT broken anything on the haldex setup... why pay out loads for Quaife or other after market cogs when factory 02m ones are good for at least 600bhp!! The answer is so simple!

My tdi gears are just to get me by until i can afford to go haldex.

Ben

Cheers mate. I'm afraid my knowledge of gearboxes is very limited and all these 02Ms, 02Js etc just go over my head, LOL! :lol:

I thought the TDI gears might be physically larger (within scope of gearbox internal clearance) like the Quaife set. Obviously not then!

So the 02M is the gearbox that goes with the Haldex system then?! And if that takes 600hp, then I defo agree, why bother with quaife gearsets, which cost £1800 and don't last long!

I think the Spandex is the next move for me then.....plus the 02M.. Sounds perfect!