Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

The belt part number is 6DPK 1825, I do have one spare if you get stuck?

Some progress from today, Mocal oil cooler fitted, Rotrex oil cooler fitted, needed to replace the oil cooler hoses on the Mocal for different lengths and ends to get the install nice and neat. Also so the pipes weren't under tension on the oil cooler.

ARP head and rod bolts fitted and torqued up.

New fuel filter and oil filter installed.

6 Branch exhaust manifold and dub sport de-cat pipe fitted.

Stainless bolt kit arrived from Swampy today so being fitted tomorrow. Happy days.

We removed the sump today for replacement and to replace the rod bolts and a little while ago I smashed the sump on a big dip in the road and when we replaced the sump the following day after the incident I did notice the oil pump had some slight damage but just looked a tiny bit dented. On today's inspection, the actual pump housing had a crack all the way round so new oil pump coming tomorrow express order from TPS for the morning.

I feel happier now anyway as its going to be replaced with new as its probably the original.

New sump, sump nut/washer and gasket can then be fitted.

We couldn't get the lamba sensor out of my original decat but then I realised whilst ordering the new one with TPS that I actually needed an OBD2 Lamba and I have always run the obd1 original Lamba sensor so I hope this is a good thing and that I won't have any problems using the obd2. He said the ABV one is no longer available and the obd2 /late golf VR is 7-10 days back order from Germany. So I have the part number to my mechanic and he's ordered a new Bosch one which was half the price quoted by TPS.

Then the car should be back on all 4 wheels.

Tomorrow will be removing boot mdf floor and replacing the fuel pump/sender with the uprated cossie pump.

Maf wiring needs extended, hole made larger for pipework that currently houses the carbon canister, all the Samco hoses need fitting and thermostat and new housing. On inspection today my existing thermostats housing didn't leak but it actually had a crack around where the bolt secure it so someone in the past must have over tightened.

Picking up vibratecnics front mount in the morning and will try that and see what it's like. Thinking my standard mount might not be man enough when its charged.

I might, just might hear the car run tomorrow? I just hope it's drivable till I get to Vince. I said I would call him once its done and just hopefully he's got time soon enough to map it.

Ignore the rusty fan cowling please as I didn't get round to this when I had all the other bits powder coated at the beginning. When the engine comes out again I will get the bay painted and everything smartened up as it does let the car down.

Oh yeah, need to fit the new loom from Kurzy, looks very tidy and has my connectors all ready Installed for headlights. Can then replace the bonnet cable trumpet so I can tuck the cable into where it should be as it overhangs a bit. Will also be removing earth connections and giving them a good old clean and wire brush whilst were there.

Some pics from today and will get some more posted tomorrow.

Roll on tomorrow

Edited by Rams

Looking awesome rams :) my thermostat housing was cracked there and it was original, I think it's just age related stress on a weak spot. Looking forward to seeing how this performs!

Cheers chaps, today was a good day, it's not finished but really taking shape.

We had to do some adjustments and must have fitted/removed charger 5 times and it still has to come off again. Swapped over to the 90mm pulley, sump and oil pump replaced along with new stainless bolts.

Fuel rail / injectors and part of inlet fitted.

Hole enlarged for charger pipework where the cc used to live.

Boot install removed to get to fuel pump.

New Lamba arrived today, just needs screwed in.

New spark plugs fitted.

Head shaved to allow for charger figment. Quite a few adjustments needed with the alignment of the pulleys. We cut a piece out of the tensioner housing so it doesn't foul the charger in anyway. All nicely one and smooth.

Tyre bead re sealed.

Manifold gasket replaced and throttle body gasket replaced.

Here's a few pictures from today. Another mechanic friend popped over to see progress.

So it's going to be next week now, I suspect Wednesday or Thursday as were both busy till then. I was quite excited today!

Edited by Rams

Great progress mate. Bet your chuffed and just can't wait to get it all together, then ill struggle to keep up with you ;) chubby will be a VR expert soon, how's the install gone, any issues or has he managed to pretty much set it up like mine, you know the hassle we had getting my charger and bracket on and took multiple figments to get a correct fitment.

Let ,e know if I can help at all, can't wait to see it all, off on holiday next Friday for a week so keep me updated!

Oh and I'm lost now mate, what will this set up be? C30-94 charger on 90mm pulley? What psi is that. And is the engine going to be 263cams with lowered compression and arps?

Edited by Craig

Hey Craig, its hasn't all been straight forward, the alignment of the pulleys were an issue. I recall Bobby saying when he had his fitted he had issues with it rubbing/making a noise. Chubb spent ages and in the end we shaved down this spacer part and its now perfect. It's all quite tight still but clearing everything. The head needs a bit more nibbled off.

So yes, running sp263 cams, c30 94 charger, 90mm pulley installed and will take the 80mm one with me in case we can use it at mapping stage. I don't want it too boost too much at this stage. We turned the charger pulley by hand and I think for every pulley rotation, the charger spins 8 times.

All the other parts that have been replaced went in smoothly, a bit of searching to do with the arp head and rod torques but found them in the end.

The question is, ' will she run? ' I'm wondering how much it would cost to trailer the car down there?

I've been past your place a few times going to Chubbs and seen you car was out, how is she doing? Enjoying the decat?

Yes mate, popped to essex and mums today and enjoyable drives. Took mum out for a spin and she was shocked at what a difference it has made, as you heard decat gives a great sound on full chat, just need to watch the speedo tho as its so quick to the ton.

Just want to sort some wheels but enquired about some and they don't seem to make them any more so I'm undecided now?

Glad alls finally getting there. I wouldn't know about the drivability, my engine was standard and was just about driveable on standard injectors but overfuelled massively with my red tops in.

You might be ok on your standard injectors as long as you keep it off the boost, ie don't go full throttle and under 2.5/3k rpm and should be ok. Take it for a gentle spin round the block and see how you feel? If I've not gone on holiday let me know when you're expecting to fire it up and I'll try pop down mate :)

Found a nice set of RH polished centre caps on German eBay so should be here soon and will be the icing on the cake for the ZW1's.

The mapping is now booked in for the 25th, I don't think I can watch it screaming away on the rollers.

Can the rollers damage the tyres? Just wondering if I should fit the new wheels after the map?

Have ordered a new boost gauge from ARZ, oe looking/matching existing dial faces. Also bought a new gear knob from there too. Mine hasn't yet been changed! Can you believe that. I've been mean to take it off and get it trimmed but when they are new they have a mat finish. Then I can get one of them re trimmed so I have a leather one and an alcantara one.

I'd like to do a fully trimmed alcantara steering wheel, I love the stuff! You should always have clean hands anyway! Lol

Finally, ordered a new design 52mm hole cut dash vent to take the new boost gauge. Looks very oem. SWG are selling them as 'new in'.

Will get some pics up when they arrive.

Also dropped off the new drive belt and had a quick look at the car pipe work so I'm working on having that sorted by the weekend if not before.

Small update

Vent gauge and RH centre caps arrived today.

Ordered all new pipe work to relocate MAF. Quite an expensive expertise to re route this pipe work but that should be it! Famous last words.....

Ok, very nearly there, Charger and belt now fitted, its been on and off several times ensuring a perfect fit. We were a bit confused with the belt orientation but after we tried it, we realised there was too much slack on the belt so removed the headlight to make it easier and corrected the belt and now its right.

The meth kit won't take long to plumb in, the samcos again straight forward, fuel pump quite simple but all ready to just unscrew out and replace with new. Lambda to plug in and fit.

The mani is back on as you can see with new gaskets. Had to order a fair bit of pipe work and clips and adapters so I will be able to still retain the 4 inch MAF, providing it fits? Also ordered a small CNC machined part to close up the isv pipe spout on the inlet hose.

If the pipe work arrives Monday then realistically, Tuesday is the day where we can fire her up. Bit nervous about it all, but I have faith! I have moments of excitement and once the long journey to Stealth is over, the smiles will come I'm sure. The 25th is the day out to Vince.

That might mean there will be 3 mystic blue storms at stealth on the 25th March, Mines down there at the minute for bottom end rebuild and MikeVR6's is down there aswell getting the supercharger installed (hes had a few problems with big end bearings going) so yours will make a 3some

These bits turned up this morning and just waiting in for the hoses to arrive. The vent hole needs a bit of sanding down as the gauge is just a bit too tight for the hole.

:dance:

Excuse the iPhone pictures, but......

FF57AD2B-56AD-42BC-97F2-5DAC04A05645-12471-00000EFECEA98DA0_zps4302f9f5.jpg

A0AA324E-80C4-4870-9424-A8FAB2166AB6-12471-00000EFEC472792C_zps8efb2050.jpg

Maybe that will cheer you up too!

See you tomorrow Buddy

Kev! Your a legend! Tyres being ordered up as we speak. Van insured also....

They look great buddy, thanks for all your hard work and I know you've got loads of your own stuff to do so I appreciate it immensely! You are 'The Best' man when ever that day comes! I feel lifted now. I know the boost gauge isn't your cup of tea but it will do for now and will add to the whole ambionce in the words of Mr Flanagan!

My mechanic said, your car is driving out tonight, he's got clearance from his wife that he will be back late so if these hoses come then I will be driving home. I can then get these tyres fitted on Friday or Saturday and another major transformation complete.

A very happy Rams

Chaps, please help, I'm at the workshop fitting the charger and need to know if the Forge dump valve/recirc valve plumbs into the fuel reg pipe and make a t piece?

Nearly there now!!5azujy9u.jpg

My recirculating valve was plumbed into the fuel reg pipe via a t-piece from the manifold.

Matt

Thanks Matt, its a great atmosphere down here, a couple of pals helping out, nearly finished in the engine bay, had to adapt a few hoses, manly around the oil catch tank, without butchering the body work! Taken some time but its good for now.

Soon we can get the car lifted and put the new Lamba sensor in and connect up the MAF and filter pipework extension and fill her up with fluids and oil and it will be turn key time!

We've used an ancient tool to cut the hole in the inlet for the meth, its designed for cutting into leather and one whack with the tool and a lovely hole! Used the devils own seal part for the silicone hose.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Well, had to call it a day, nearly 2am and were all tired and rather than rushing we decided to finish all tomorrow.

The 4 inch air filter and MAF will not be used, simply a space issue. So I now need to find a 3 inch filter azap.

Whilst I'm here, thanks to all for help and support along the way guys!

Hey Rams, sorry to hear that it didn't get completed last night, but as you say better to take your time than rush / bodge it; you don't need it until Saturday anyway.

I've got a 3" filter and adaptor you can use, you can pick it up at the same time as the wheels if you like?

That would be great buddy, that was my task today to find one. I may not need the adaptor but if I can take it just incase and if I don't use it I will drop it back to u.

I am also going to try a spare 205 40 just to gauge it and can collect bits when ever your ready. Is anyone at yours today?

Top man!

She's charged!! Started her up and idled beautifully, revving up with that sweet sound and seems faultless! I've just come home to drop my van back and getting a lift back. We just have to install the meth kit and put the engine plastics back on and I can take her for a spin. Even driving off the ramp, you could just tell there's some power going on under there.

I'm really over the moon and a big relief that its working and running. The workshop where the car is, there's a couple of other garages as they deal with scoobies and fast cars and he even said that thing sounds the dogs bollocks!

I have a smile from ear to ear writing this and found some time today having a 205 40 tyre fitted to my ZW1's that I picked up today from Kev and it didn't look too stretched so I will be ordering them first thing tomorrow and will get them fitted on Saturday. There's just a limited tyre choice with 215 35. Then it's stealth Monday and I can try it out.

Still need to fit the boost gauge and reading up last night it seems the back of the clock cluster is where the T is needed and then it can come into the dash vent and pick up power from the fuse board as its all local. Maybe tap into dimmer switch to adjust brightness?

There's still lots to do but the major hurdles are over.

Kev- earlier I wasn't really paying attention to the wheels, my mind was elsewhere but they do look spot on, big respect. If its not too late I will swing by on the way home.

Modified the inner arch plastics which didn't fit when the arches got pulled, managed to fit the splash shields and cut the other plastic up-stand section to cover the area where the filter is. It's been one of those jobs that I've wanted do do for a while.

Fitted the pulley guard and engine plastics.

Needed a bracket for the meth pump, so couldn't finish tonight which was a shame. The line is plumbed into the inlet now and once we get the bracket on the pump install it's finished.

Raised the car another 15mm, so we don't have troubles getting on the rolling road. I can adjust things once the wheels are on which will be next week.

Rams,

When on the rollers next week, keep an eye on the flexible inlet pipe running across the front, if it starts to 'shorten' under acceleration, your'll be creating a flow restriction. If it doesn't then your ok. just something to bear in mind to extract the most performance from your charger.

Matt