Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

This is looking like its turning into a great restore job, very thorough.

When is the painting booked in for? I did think the same about not leaving it outside in a primered condition.

Gruven fuel clips arrived today, came in a huge box for these very small clips, couldnt believe it! 9 30 Monday moring I am having the c picked up and escourted to the paint shop...... Standox paint will be used for the respray. Roll on Monday

I collected some bits that have been trimmed and they looks fantastic. It is Porsche knappa leather and has been stretched to give a nice tight finish. I really am impressed with the finish. Really good match with the seats, I haven't given them a leather treatment yet so they look quite dull in the photos but just had a go at one of the pieces with my furniture clinic stuff with excellent results.

The centre console etc is not ready yet, hes finishing the headlining and the rest of the plastics and said he will do my centre console just like a 355 Ferrari / stiching.

Also, my new daily, great for the dog and flying to the shops, comfortable and easy to drive, just what I want for general driving. Just need a new MOT and tax. Will make a nice change from my old Transit!

Edited by Rams

Thread of the year. And last year. No question.

This is some amazing work, the Corrado is going to be phenomenal when finished (It already is).

And you post pics of your Hungarian missus. :2gunfire:

It is uplifting to read these comments, all I can say is thankyou!

I had a result today though, I took the car to the bodyshop on the back of my friends truck and discussed things with the sprayer, Andy. I said I wanted Standox paint and I would source that and asked how many litres he needed. He said to buy 3. So I called the paint shop called Rainbow paints in Ferndown and a Scottish lady picked up. I started flirting but in a non sexual way as I am Scottish and said how nice it was to hear the accent again and so on......

I told her I was Ramsay from RPM, which is my company but its to do with property and she must have thought I was in the car trade, she told me the paint was £113 per litre and told me to hang on whilst she spoke to someone. She came back to me saying, look, I have managed to give you 50 % off making it £204 all in inc the dredded! So what a result!

I will update what the lacqer is, forgot.....

Andy will primer the entire car and block flat again so we dont get any sinkage, he will be taking all the doors, tailgate etc off, spraying sholts in all the internal sides of work I've had done. I've taken the headlight surrounds in for painting and just deciding to colour code mirror plastic but I might leave thesurrounds black to break up the doors a bit, especially as smooth. I am also having the cills high built in primer and flatted off leaving a nice flat finish than the stone chip. So it should look really good when its finished and show like.

Had a silly thought but might just leave it as a thought, but what would the vw badge look like colour coded bit leaving the outer circle chrome? Basically, my D90 rims will be painted in the centre and have a polished rim and this almost replicates that? Might look crap?!

Andy thinks 2 weeks and the car will be ready and don't worry, he will be taking pictures. Longest 2 weeks yet of the process yet!

Jetex 2 box system arrived late today but I can confirm this was ordered via Euro Car Parts using the discount code provided, happy days.

It is uplifting to read these comments, all I can say is thankyou!

I had a result today though, I took the car to the body shop of the back of my friends truck and discussed things with the sprayer, Andy. I said I wanted Standox paint and I would source that and asked how many litres he needed. He said to buy 3. So I called the paint shop called Rainbow paints in Ferndown and a Scottish lady picked up. I started flirting but in a non sexual way as I am Scottish and said how nice it was to hear the accent again and so on......

I told her I was Ramsay from RPM, which is my company but its to do with property and she must have thought I was in the car trade, she told me the paint was £113 per litre and told me to hang on whilst she spoke to someone. She came back to me saying, look, I have managed to give you 50 % off making it £204 all in inc the dredded! So what a result!

I will update what the lacqer is, forgot.....

Andy will primer the entire car and block flat again so we dont get any sinkage, he will be taking all the doors, tailgate etc off, spraying sholts in all the internal sides of work I've had done. I've taken the headlight surrounds in for painting and just deciding to colour code mirror plastic but I might leave thesurrounds black to break up the doors a bit, especially as smooth. I am also having the cills high built in primer and flatted off leaving a nice flat finish than the stone chip. So it should look really good when its finished and show like.

Had a silly thought but might just leave it as a thought, but what would the vw badge look like colour coded bit leaving the outer circle chrome? Basically, my D90 rims will be painted in the centre and have a polished rim and this almost replicates that? Might look crap?!

Andy thinks 2 weeks and the car will be ready and don't worry, he will be taking pictures. Longest 2 weeks yet of the process yet!

Excellent job so far,only wish I had the time/funds for my storm....Wanted to ask about the paint, my storm is mystic blue and needs a respray, is there any advantage with this stuff? has your bloke primed all over or only on the parts worked on? I'm thinking i might be able to respray with only primer around the wheel arches after I've got the rust off....Think i might get away with that?

I'd also be interested to know what laquer you're going to use. Another thing!! How many coats/ thickness? TIA

Great job ~(again)

Rams, your car is truly inspirational. Your attention to details is second to none. Would love to see this close up some time.

The car was primed ontop of work carried out and flatted back in areas where the paint was fine but the painter wanted it all primed and flatted back again so we get an even coverage and to avoid sinkage. The standox paint came highly recommended on every account, for colour matching, I believe them to be one of the best. Which means, if later down the line you need to get something else painted or you have a scrape or something, the colour will accurate.

Although the painter mainly uses PPG paint, he said its similar quality but much cheaper but did agree the Standox was excellent if you can afford it.

If you are rubbing things back and attending to rust, use etch primer after, this is great for preventing rust. Your question has a wide answer, It depends how far you want to go with the quality finish, my prep guy could have just used filler and made a nice job of it but he lead soldered them so they were smooth flat metal ready to recieve filler. I used the best quality filler, sanding pads, primer and paint but the end result does all boil down to the prep work. And how wide your wallet stretches. Mine become so worn out the gfriend had to buy me a new one.

I would ask some other people too as my bodywork knowledge is still young but these are tips I learned along the way, lets see some pics of the arches if you've got them handy?

I picked up some more parts from the trimmer and I really am astonished at the quality. Managed to remove the strom badge on the console and will be stuck back on. Its turned out well as the badge was always quite recessed and now the badge is more in line with the surround.

The gear selector boot/gator is being trimmed in alcantara, the leather just wears / marks in the end and will tie in nicely the alcantara healiner and visors. Another week and a bit and all the parts will be trimmed. I am now trying to source a dash board so I can have this trimmed and do a swap. I want all the plastics leather trimmed now, inc door pull surrounds, the seatbelt plastic clips, I want to do the lot! I even had the ashtray in the rear centre console trimmed!

Today I've continued to leather treat the seats, they are looking really good now. The furniture clinic reviver is great stuff. Apply by hand, rubbed in for ages and buffed off.

The D90'S have gone off for blasting, got narky when rubbing down the lips and caught the spokes and chipped some paint so have now decided to strip the wheels completely and then polish the lips, mask them up and have the rest of the wheels powder coated in mystic blue if we can get the color right? Otherwise, I might just do a gun metal powder coat and not go body coloured leaving the polished lip??? Need to get my skates on now next week the car should be painted.

I'm going to see the car tomorrow and see the progress. Rams

Well, the rado is now painted!

There are still body parts to paint which will be done next week.

There is a problem, the roof has 2 slights dents, I didnt notice it at first as I was having a good look at the arches and lower sections but he told me he saw these marks after it was painted. So the roof will need to be re done. So a bit more expense which is a shame. The arches look spot on, really happy with them.

Otherwise, I saw it straight out of the gun and not detailed. I felt there was a fair bit of orange peal, but there was a fine layer of dust over the car which miraged the paint so it might have been less than I thought. He said once its all finished it will be a mirror finish.

What do people normall think when they see their car after paint but before being flatted and polished etc? How good should it look out f the gun?

The bonnet, tailgate, mirrors and plastic surrounds, rear no plate surround, sunroof and splitter still to paint. Just smoothing the splitter scuffs and painting in black, to tidy it up. I decided not to colour code the spliter as it might get scuffed again? The grill will be re done aswell. I am also having the chassis turrets repainted as some rust is evident on the welds.

The pictures are crap, for some reason the camera does not focus, maybe user error? There was a bit of sunlight catching the car and you could really see the deep blue colour coming through, so I'm sure when its all done its going to look amazing. He has taken some pics which I will get once its completed.

I then need an MOT and tax as that runs out at the end of this month so I will have to recover the car back to the previous workshop so I can fit everything back before driving down to the MOT garage. Then I will be driving to my friends garage, now in a nice big workshop with a 2 poster ramp so he will fit the exhaust.

The GF has organised a photo shoot for the car with a professional photographer thats shes friends with so you guys can get some nice decent pictures.

Amazing work :D really enjoy reading this to just to see what you have done in such a short time span! You must be itching to get driving it 8) I am lookig forward to seeing the the photo shoot :salute:

Looking good so far mate, think shell be ready for the tidy meet in feb? cheers for the help with the battery last week, fitted new stereo today and just the passenger components to fit 2m. Manifold is all wrapped and dropping it off to Chubba on weds to collect thurs hopefully? mentioned to him about the weaping bead gasket and he said he'll look?