Sign in to follow this  
8vMatt

Super Unleaded 121.9p!!!

You guys all need somewhere with a different Government.

Isle of Man ;)

Upper rate tax of 20% ... up from 18% this next tax year due to the UK butt-f**king us on a VAT agreement ..... travesty! No CGT, IHT or Stamp Duty plus others I probably forget.

Im going to learn something here - but who governs Isle of man if 'our' government doesnt?

The IOM has its own parliament - known as Tynwald .... the longest (continuous) running parliament in the world, don't you know! Its roots apparently go back to the year 800 although sometime in the early 900s is when it is firmly believed to have begun.

We can basically do whatever we like but are a crown dependency so follow the UK Govt on certain things e.g. have a (did!) reciprocal VAT agreement, although tax policy, and any other policy for that matter, we can set ourselves.

There is of course, no truth in the allegation that faced with the imminent introduction of yet another 3p/litre in tax on April 1st, the petrol companies have hoisted the price up to create a public outcry, get the papers bleating about the already high prices, and bring massive pressure to bear on the Government to postpone the planned tax increase.

Of course if the Government capitulates, the fuel companies can reduce the price back down again, pocket a few quid for thier trouble, job done.

Last Saturday I stuffed £74 of super u/l into my car, and of that something like £55 of it was tax. It's outrageous that the petrol companies are (once again) hoiking prices just before the Easter holidays (and they do it most years) but your anger should be directed at the amount of tax that Labour still thinks is acceptable.

Fuel duty is levied at an effective rate of well over 300% on the cost of the levied item. Think about that when you vote this summer.

John

The IOM has its own parliament - known as Tynwald .... the longest (continuous) running parliament in the world, don't you know! Its roots apparently go back to the year 800 although sometime in the early 900s is when it is firmly believed to have begun.

We can basically do whatever we like but are a crown dependency so follow the UK Govt on certain things e.g. have a (did!) reciprocal VAT agreement, although tax policy, and any other policy for that matter, we can set ourselves.

No, i never knew that! But thanks for informing me :lol: :salute:

You guys all need somewhere with a different Government.

Isle of Man ;)

Upper rate tax of 20% ... up from 18% this next tax year due to the UK butt-f**king us on a VAT agreement ..... travesty! No CGT, IHT or Stamp Duty plus others I probably forget.

You pay less tax because it's a tiny island with far fewer people. I'd rather pay more tax and have more choice of roads, locations to live, schools, jobs etc and there's no way I could live somewhere that only has 1 McDonalds and no KFC :nono: :D

Is there? I'm sure our options were limited to McDonalds and that was it when I was there last? Well cool stuff then, KFC it is in May :D

You've just gone down in my estimation - KFC = eurgh!

Anyway, whats the best ferry company to get to the Isle of Man with? I've been quoted some big prices to get over there.

As for the petrol I think its something we are going to have to get used to. I paid £1.139 for cooking petrol the other day so not too bad compared to some of you round here as of yet.

KFC = is the best

McD = :pukeright:

Burger King = :gag:

Oh ya and petrol prices are stupidly high :( :mad2: :censored: :bad-words:

Anyway, whats the best ferry company to get to the Isle of Man with? I've been quoted some big prices to get over there.

As for the petrol I think its something we are going to have to get used to. I paid £1.139 for cooking petrol the other day so not too bad compared to some of you round here as of yet.

KFC's not particularly great - I tend to avoid all that greasy bucket stuff.

Only boat you can get over here is the Steampacket. Some of the Mods are coming over for a weekend of debauchery soon and I think a car + passenger works out around £170ish but a foot passenger return is usually about £40 on its own so the car with driver could be done for around £130 or so. It all depends on time of year though. TT fortnight and the main holidays tends to see fairly hefty price hikes.

£129.99 in my local!! :shock: I nearly feinted when i noticed!

damm im not filling up near you would cost me thousands :lol:

KFC's not particularly great - I tend to avoid all that greasy bucket stuff.

Only boat you can get over here is the Steampacket. Some of the Mods are coming over for a weekend of debauchery soon and I think a car + passenger works out around £170ish but a foot passenger return is usually about £40 on its own so the car with driver could be done for around £130 or so. It all depends on time of year though. TT fortnight and the main holidays tends to see fairly hefty price hikes.

I love your greasy bucket!

Pretty sure we're paying £170 or £180. Think it was £200ish last time.

Yay, roll out the food discussion and gate crash the boring fuel debate :cheers:

KFC = is the best

Yeah :D So long as it's a Zinger. Not a fan bargain buckets of skanky wings n things :pukeright: And beans? [Cue my best Phil Kay "Garlic and Bread" impression] Chicken.... and beans?! WTF?!

People rave on about their Gravy too, but to me it's tasteless brown water thickened with corn flour.

]McD = :pukeright:

Yeah defo agree with that. Sweaty old limp things they have the cheek to call a burger, but Cheeseburger, small fries and a small choc shake takes me back decades, so they're tasty for nostalgic reasons. Everything else, including that drain cleaner stuff they put in the 'Apple' pie, is rancid!

]Burger King = :gag:

Gonna have to call you into the office for that one :nono: BK is lush!! :D Well, the XL Bacon Double cheese is at least, imo. Proper flame grilled taste, but what is it with BK and their dry burgers??! You don't get any sauce in it, LOL!

Soft drinks from all 3 are watered down tat and best avoided, but McDs have the best shakes, and there's always room for a choc donut :D

Erm, yeah, if that's what we're supposed to be talking about, LOL!

But being British, let's face it, we just fall in line like sheep and accept it. We still like to moan about it though, but are too defeatist / lazy to do anything about it :lol: We all secretly hope the truckers will kick off again, thereby saving us motorists the effort :D

Yay, roll out the food discussion and gate crash the boring fuel debate :cheers:

KFC = is the best

Yeah :D So long as it's a Zinger. Not a fan bargain buckets of skanky wings n things :pukeright: And beans? [Cue my best Phil Kay "Garlic and Bread" impression] Chicken.... and beans?! WTF?!

People rave on about their Gravy too, but to me it's tasteless brown water thickened with corn flour.

]McD = :pukeright:

Yeah defo agree with that. Sweaty old limp things they have the cheek to call a burger, but Cheeseburger, small fries and a small choc shake takes me back decades, so they're tasty for nostalgic reasons. Everything else, including that drain cleaner stuff they put in the 'Apple' pie, is rancid!

]Burger King = :gag:

Gonna have to call you into the office for that one :nono: BK is lush!! :D Well, the XL Bacon Double cheese is at least, imo. Proper flame grilled taste, but what is it with BK and their dry burgers??! You don't get any sauce in it, LOL!

Soft drinks from all 3 are watered down tat and best avoided, but McDs have the best shakes, and there's always room for a choc donut :D

Erm, yeah, if that's what we're supposed to be talking about, LOL!

But being British, let's face it, we just fall in line like sheep and accept it. We still like to moan about it though, but are too defeatist / lazy to do anything about it :lol: We all secretly hope the truckers will kick off again, thereby saving us motorists the effort :D

:lol: love it :D

I would much rather a BK then a McD dont get me wrong but KFC all the way but have to agree with your view on the bucket :D

The petrol at the shell garage I usaly go to is the same price as the diesel at £1.17 and thats the normal stuff the V-power is £1.22 :cuckoo:

How can Deisel prices fall but petrol prices stay the same? are they not made from the same thing? :shrug:

KFC: I do enjoy the zinger burger, but u HAVE to tower that bad boy. The shakes they do, 'crushems' or something, are pretty good but they give u a straw with a diameter of like 15mm to drink through.

McD's: I dunno, if I haven't had one in a while I do quite like a greasy 'quarter pounder wit cheese'. Shakes are good too. Overall I quite enjoy a 'donalds.

BK: Ultimate. As Kev says, XL Double Bacon and Cheese is awesome. Won't get much change back from a tenner :lol: , but damnnnn they're tasty! True about the lack of sauce, but then tbh I enjoy the burger as is! (Should feckin' hope so due to the cost!!)

Chips: No matter what anyone says to me, McD's rule when it comes to fries/chips. When they're 'fresh' and hot, nothing better! Sometimes I just get a large fries from 'donalds :lol: KFC are just w*nk and not to be bothered with, BK are quite nice but normally quite hard I find.

Now don't know if this should be brought up here (seeing as it's a discussion about fuel prices.. :lol: ), but Dominos.... :notworthy:

Petrol Prices suck tremendously!!

BK just sucks. The staff are always pissed off, the food always looks like it's been kicking around.. it's always a let down.

McD's is always nice as is a KFC :) But to be honest if I'm eating junk, I prefer a balti!

KFC = is the best

You think chicken and beans is crazy, in the States you can get Mash potatoes in KFC :eek:

KFC is the best.

BK burgers are better than McD's, but the BK fries are shite

BK just sucks. The staff are always pissed off, the food always looks like it's been kicking around.. it's always a let down.

I used to love BKs, until I got a 'proper' bout of food poisoning from one, in a service station late at night. One guy serving, hanging around, looking like he'd rather be anywhere else. I couldn't eat solids for four days. I have to be in a right corner now to venture in one.

KFC- Put a bone in a greasy bucket :norty:

McD- Nah

BK- Good

Domino's- Very good

Pizza Hut- Awesome

Petrol Price's- Sh1t!

The ferry I booked this week was £167 return, scarey money but seems quite reasonable when you consider it's twice as long as Dover-Calais.

McDonalds has improved in recent years but for burgers you still can't beat a XL Bacon Double Cheeseburgers with lashings of Heinz Ketchup :salute:

Just fillled up the VR with Tesco 99 Ron and got £71 quid in!, thing was between 1/4 and reserve, f**king ridiculous money.

Trouble is unlike the French who would blockade the ports and more we being British with the stiff upper lip just carry on and pay it.

I hate to think how hauliers are coping at the moment...