Sign in to follow this  
ryan_16v

JUST HEARD SOME VERY SAD NEWS

Really sorry to hear this - from the description it sounds like headlight switch failure that a few of us have had now where 12V is sent down the small earth lead on the loom.

Gutted for you. I bet its awful standing there watching it.

Here are a couple of pics from an internal loom I pulled out of a polo I rebuilt. Someone had fitted bike carbs to it (badly) and the kid who bought it ended up giving me the shell because of 'wiring issues' amongst other things. How this didnt catch fire I've no idea, bearing in mind the black wire was under the carpet.

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Very sorry to hear this, its bad enough that so many are being broken up for parts!

I had something similar happen in my old 911, pulled over when smoke started coming through the dash vents, popped the bonnet armed with my fire extinguisher but couldn't find the source of the smoke. Waited for it to clear then got back in and drove home! Think that was a lucky day for me as found that two wires had burnt out when i was having a prod around a few weeks later!

Good luck with your insurance and hope you find a suitable replacement soon.

My condolences but at least you are ok which is what really matters.

Makes me think I should check out my wiring or pray someone does a GB for fire extinguishers.

Mate I'm so sorry for your loss, heart breaking.

Can't speak for everyone, but maybe some breakers can offer a 'millerman discount' to help cushion the blow ... Just a thought!

Good luck with ur insurance

Maaaan, im really sorry to hear this fella. It cant be easy to stand there helpless whilst it burns! :(

Any news on the insurance front?

Im getting a fire extinguisher!!!

Really sorry to hear this, I would be unconsolable if this happened to me.

Again, as said before - main thing is you are Ok.

Good Lucj=k with the insurance and a replacement really soon.

Wendy

In a word bugger.

Glad you got out ok and hopefully the insurance claim won't be an uphill struggle.

Damn, tis a real shame.. at least ur ok though mate.. sort out the insurance n get another i say!

Is there anyway to prevent this light switch failure from taking place then?

Fuses?

Damn, tis a real shame.. at least ur ok though mate.. sort out the insurance n get another i say!

Don't use it! :D My C is hardly ever out when lights are needed. As I have said before, you should feel how hot the switch gets (mine is newish) when you have it in position 2 (dipped headlights).

What a piece of numpty engineering. :p

here is the final few seconds b4 the fire brigade put her out she was had been burning for atleast 30 mins :(

will upload some pics i got when i got droped home shortly

[youtube:2o990fxr] [/youtube:2o990fxr]

I feel like we should have a minutes silence for those corrado's lost in action... brave soldiers that battle on through 100k miles, some near and over 200k, those that have been abused, those that have been left to rot and those that are sadly no longer with us. The Corrado... we salute you :salute:

I feel like we should have a minutes silence for those corrado's lost in action... brave soldiers that battle on through 100k miles, some near and over 200k, those that have been abused, those that have been left to rot and those that are sadly no longer with us. The Corrado... we salute you :salute:

trumpet.gif[/attachment:2innznjj]

Bad news. At the end of the day its a car so it can be replaced. Look at it as an oppourtunity to try something new.

for sure gonna have a long think about the next project

That clip looks horrendous :( Gutted for you mate but glad you got out in time dosn't bear thinking about the alternative.

Bad news. At the end of the day its a car so it can be replaced. Look at it as an oppourtunity to try something new.

for sure gonna have a long think about the next project

I might have the perfect option....

Bad news indeed,I`d be gutted if I lost mine

Almost lost Mine last year when some :censored: **** on here sold me a dodgy light switch.Fitted it and the loom melted and almost caught fire. Luckily after blowing hard it didnt catch light and destroy my car.

So beware, always buy a new switch not second hand and I now carry a fire extinguisher just in case.

Fuses?

Yep - 3amp fuse on the earth wire...

This is why I bang on about always buying new switches rather than second hand, late switches last about 5 years max.

Fuses?

Yep - 3amp fuse on the earth wire...

This is why I bang on about always buying new switches rather than second hand, late switches last about 5 years max.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31462