daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

Engine bay just gets better & better Dave.Wish i could join you all at Harewood today,looks like going to be good

The Carbonio intake pipe holder didn't quite work out the way I'd intended, the pipe itself wasn't held anywhere near well enough. So I made another with a Stainless clamp welded to it which is then tightened around another piece of Blue Silicone hose.

Thanks guys.

Andy, not had the BMC experience so couldn't tell you but if we meet up sometime this year then we can both find out, you at the AGM or National Day next year?

Hopefully going to both ;) Should think they're fairly similar in sound. Had a similar design CAI to the Carbonio, but can't remember what it was like as it was 10 years ago!

Well I knew it had to be done at some point so I've gathered the parts to replace the chains and tensioners along with tappets and 263 cams. Clutch was done a couple of thousand miles back and I've replaced/refurbed most of the cooling system. Most of the replaceable engine parts have already been done, stuff like water pump and aux pump, thermostat and housing, various sensors etc.

I decided to go with the INA tappets from German Ebay as seen on this page - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?75467-VR6-Hydraulic-Tappet-Lifter-Part-Number/page2&highlight=ina+tappets

Made myself a cam locking tool too.

Hopefully this lot will be fitted next month.

So you got another set? Sticking mine in today / tomorrow :)

Yes, I didn't want to sell the last set but needed the cash at the time.

Awesome stuff Dave. I take it you've got a copy of 2cc's handy timing chain guide printed off ready? :)

Jim, not printed it yet but will do before the end of March which is when it'll be done.

cc

Yeah took the part numbers off the guide in the wiki, the prices have gone up a lot since it was written.

Car is now Insured and Taxed and ready for the road, shame the weather has turned.

Chains, tensioners, tappets and 263 cams all being done next week, I'll post up progress pics.

Edited by daves16v

So with the help of PurpleTom we started stripping my VR on Wednesday in preparation for new chains, tensioners, tappets and 263 cams. Of course there were problems, firstly there were 2 drive shaft bolts that had rounded heads which made it a little harder to remove. Before stripping everything off we aligned the existing cams to check the timing, as you can see in the photos the timing was out.

StandardCams_zps1d233e59.jpg

TimingMark_zpsb4adc166.jpg

The upper tensioner has already started to break-up and the chains have worn deep grooves in the steel backing plate. The tensioner bolt appeared to have reached its tensioning limit also. We put the timing problem down to the fact that there is excessive wear to all the tensioner components. This may explain why it only made 180bhp at the rolling road day at Stealth. My car has done 177k miles on the original chains and tensioners but looking at them they had started to wear a long time ago.

WornTensioner2_zps240bb014.jpg

WornTensionerandGuide_zpsa24018f3.jpg

WornUpperguide_zpseaae8257.jpg

Whilst stripping out the wiring we noticed the stud to the back of the alternator was very rusty and spinning so we decided to swap it for a much better item from my breaker, saves further problems down the line to swap it now whilst the rad was out.

I have to admit a silly mistake by myself when removing the camshaft bearing caps, I joked to Tom about dropping one of the nuts, a few seconds later I did just that and heard it rattle down into the engine. I just couldn't believe what I'd just done! Tom was as cool as a cucumber and suggested we drop the sump, luckily the nut was in the bottom.

Here's a photo at the half way point late afternoon Wednesday.

HalfWayPoint_zps1ff02339.jpg

Thursday morning - The rebuild went pretty smoothly apart from the cam sprocket on the exhaust cam didn't want to come off no matter how much muscle we put into it. We decided to use the spare cam sprocket off my breaker which thankfully did come off easier. The breaker proved to be very useful as we used the front arch liners off it too as the originals had been butchered.

The rest of the rebuild went well.

263Cams_zps24975384.jpg

ChainsInstalled_zpse7732512.jpg

Whilst we were at it Tom replaced the ARB drop links that I'd had for some time and hadn't got around to fitting.

So after refitting everything it was time to fire it up, it was about 7.30 in the evening by this time so we were pretty excited. We had turned it over a few times without firing it and all was good. It did fire up and then we carried out the tappet bedding in procedure.

Sadly it wasn't a complete happy ending, VCDS threw up a camshaft sensor error which took away any extra power I was looking forward to. The drive home was ok apart from some lumpy running and lack of power. The engine sounds so much better now, I'm very pleased.

I'd like to say a massive thanks to Tom for helping me, I felt my car was safe in your hands, cheers buddy.

Today, Friday, I swapped the sensor for the one off my breaker but sadly this hasn't solved it.

It might be the cam trigger wheel. Yours looks like it's seen better days. Either that or some wiring has been disturbed.

yours looked to have jumped a tooth at some point. A classic symptom of chains worn to that extent! 177k is good going on the originals though! Once the ECU sees the cam again and with the correct timing, it should feel really good :d

Did you check the intermediate shaft timing mark?

Good skills! I like seeing naked VR6 pics!

Kev, yes the intermediate shaft timing marks were properly aligned. Do I need to swap the whole sprocket or does the actual trigger block come off?

Good work, didnt know the chains involved so much strip down. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Kev, yes the intermediate shaft timing marks were properly aligned. Do I need to swap the whole sprocket or does the actual trigger block come off?

It just pops off with a screw driver, Dave. I had to replace mine doing my cams, was about £12 from VW, no need replace the sprocket.

Sweet lord. And I thought my tensioners were worn. Mine has 177k on and the guides have broke in all the same places. Bet you feel relieved you caught it when you did though.