daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

Took the head off a week ago and found the head gasket to be intact and oil in cylinders 1 and 2. Cylinder 3 has some scoring to the bore. So it looks like piston rings and/or valve seals, either way it's going to need stripping right down. The oil on the head is not as a result of the problem, it was tipped up leaking oil from the top of the head.

Not sure what my plans are for it, I've got a few options but not decided yet, no rush now that Winter is on it's way.

VRBlock_zpsb106687a.jpg

VRHead_zps926359a7.jpg

Bad news Dave but 180+k is not a bad innings for a vr6.

Good chance to gain some more power if you fancy it :)

R32? Or maybe forced induction? Or even just a 3.0 rebore, big valve head and some cams

Really sorry to see that Dave :( Hope you get it sorted, whatever you choose to do. Personally, I'd keep it 12v. Worth looking at VEGE, as the price of a new engine from them may well be comparable with a bottom end rebuild.

AAA heads minus cams in the clearance section at VEGE for £101 + VAT!! Might be worth getting one anyway for that price if they are a direct fit!!!

AAA heads minus cams in the clearance section at VEGE for £101 + VAT!! Might be worth getting one anyway for that price if they are a direct fit!!!

Will these fit direct onto a 2.9 ABV?

Also whats the difference between the £101 one and the £76.00 one?

Ian.

Edited by GlosterOx

Another question, is there any difference between an earlier cyl head from a distributor drive car and a later coilpack one?

Ian.

Time for a major update……

So the engine decided to give up last September and the car had stood in the garage for about 4 months before I did anything with it. I sourced a good used VR engine from PurpleTom and popped over to collect it in my Passat Wagon with a suitable sized plastic box which turned out to be the perfect size for a VR block and head. Thanks Tom!

20140206_185401_zps33bff6d3.jpg

20140206_185410_zps21fffa03.jpg

I have a standard sized garage but as the driveway is on a slope I couldn’t just push the car out to make space for the engine crane so I fabbed up some extender platforms.

20140222_115821_zpsb0c21583.jpg

20140222_120046_zpsa0ad69f2.jpg

Now I have space to whip the engine out.

20140308_115603_zpsc8e72edf.jpg

20140308_115639_zps8126b02f.jpg

I have an integral garage which means taking the engine through the lounge to the room at the back of the house where I’ve been doing the engine work. Again I fabbed up a wheeled frame to take the engines back and forth through the lounge. My wife is very understanding.

20140316_125601_zpsa9e2f12d.jpg

20140308_140356_zps61e59031.jpg

Ok time to start swapping the chains, tensioners, 263 cams and tappets over as they’re all nearly new.

20140312_210316_zps3767ff52.jpg

Fabbed up a flywheel lock which works very well indeed.

20140326_165936_zps208e753b.jpg

Off came the sump for some blasting and powder coating after fitting sump baffles.

20140324_174245_zpsca03ac41.jpg

20140324_174219_zps769654e7.jpg

Block has been painted and various other bits blasted and lacquered, namely the Ali parts. In other words a good tarting up! Engine is on the frame ready for wheeling into the garage. I’ve done some tidying of the engine bay too, just a bit of cleaning, bit of surface rust sorted on the battery tray and some re-wrapping of wiring looms.

20140329_153635_zps5590525d.jpg

A few more bits of Stainless done –

20140403_192306_zpsc9d876b1.jpg

20140403_192325_zps90ed718f.jpg

20140403_192427_zps8b9cae23.jpg

Engine install well on the way to completion.

20140330_231319_zps812d626c.jpg

Car is back together now and the first fire-up went well apart from a noisy tappet which is silent now and a minor fuel leak. Oh and I got my oil pressure and temp wires wrong way round which stumped me for a while. Anyway click on the photo for a video of how it runs now.

th_20140405_131030_zps6487769a.jpg

Oh ffs. Another who's had their engine out and returned looking better than new. The time and cost I've spent on mine and it seems like loads of people have done the same, and mine will look nowhere near as good as the others. :rolleyes:

Top work as usual Dave, progressing even further from an award winner! :thumbleft:

You have an eye for detail, not only in the bits you make to be fitted but those ramps are ingenious..

Craftsman..

Top work there Dave , ingenius planing with the jack . Theres a few popping up on here atm that are really setting the pace for great cars .

Totally agree there Rob which is making my job seem all the harder :brickwall: Look's like you could be on the way to winning more trophies dave strong work there :salute:

Excellent stuff Dave, love the ramps for levelling the car out of the garage. They'd be great for the front for cleaning underneath.

Definately more trophies for you this year.

Looks like your usual high standard of work there Dave - very nice indeed. Engine sounds like it's running beautifully too :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I could have and probably should have spent more time cleaning the bay but time was dragging on and to be honest I was getting little tired and frustrated with it being in bits for so long.

Taxed it this afternoon and took it out for a blast tonight for the first time. Happy to report all is fine, pulls very well and no nasty surprises, infact no surprises at all.

So my first outing could well be Elsecar as I've not done that one yet.

Great work Dave. It really does look great and that trolly is immense lol! Genius :)

Great work Dave. It really does look great and that trolly is immense lol! Genius :)

Cheers Pal.

Just a few little upgrades recently.

Trimsport Ali oil cap.

20140503_123625_zps54d730d8.jpg

Replaced rusty spoiler screws with polished Stainless, you do have to grind the heads down on a standard screw by about half.

20140420_183402_zps5b2aedba.jpg

Replaced the old grubby Brown washer hose with new stuff from Halfords, perfect fit too.

20140503_123648_zpsfd79aa91.jpg