daves16v

Black Metallic VR - SOLD!

Looks good, could do with a thin stainless trim around the handbrake hole.

How easy is it to get the centre section out? I want to change my handbrake cables and guide tubes?

Looks good, could do with a thin stainless trim around the handbrake hole.

How easy is it to get the centre section out? I want to change my handbrake cables and guide tubes?

I may have to add some Stainless as I wasn't happy with the handle, in it's lowest position it was still pressing down on the plastic trim. I ended up cutting some more out of the trim which has solved the problem but it's created another problem in that I now don't have a securing screw at the front part of the trim. It sits fairly solid but I won't be happy until it's sorted.

The lower section of trim is secured with 2 plastic stud caps each side and clamped at the rear between the rear hump mounting plate and the mounting bracket.

So the one thats in the pics on page 40 is the original vr one?

Yep, I decided it would be easier to fit than finding a Golf loom to cut and shut for the connector.

Cheers got a dim light/flashing light on the dash handbrake the other day after a drive out. Fluid was full so its either the fluid sensor or handbrake switch. Cheers

Time for another upgrade, this one is the inlet temp sensor upgrade to the later version.

Comparing the two, VR on the left.

20141229_141144_zpse4f25d57.jpg

Remove the manifold and bore the standard hole to 12.2mm dia. The diameter of the body of the new sensor is about 12.5mm and has a rubber o-ring so it provides a good fit and seal. The mounting hole is M6 but rather than drill straight thru and Tap I decided to drill and Tap a blind hole as cleaning the back side of swarf would be difficult.

20141229_131222_zps9ad46457.jpg

I had a spare Tap so ground the tip off it to create a bottoming Tap.

20141229_131435_zps85b78b70.jpg

Now it's time to clear out ALL the swarf and I mean ALL as you don't want any being sucked into the engine. I used a cranked scriber to clean the back of the sensor hole and then washed out the inside until I was sure there was no swarf left inside.

20141229_131242_zps8e0606f3.jpg

Sensor and bolt fitted. Not taken it out for a run yet so don't know if it's made any noticeable difference.

20141229_131400_zpsdd723d51.jpg

One thing that let the engine bay down a little was the throttle body so whilst it was off I cleaned it up and fitted hand polished Stainless screws to the connector and end cover. I didn't go to town on the throttle body just used scotch brite to bring up the shine a little. Oh yeah I did remove some casting ridges too.

20141230_143050_zpscd41af26.jpg

Thanks for the comments chaps. I had contemplated selling it this year or maybe next year but I'm trying to hang on to it hence the upgrades. My theory is that if I can make it a better car then I'll want to keep it. Luckily it's not a daily driver so it does feel special when I get to drive it. I've got plenty more upgrades I'd like to do before Summer, finances allowing.

The sensor is used in various petrol powered VAG cars, the part number is 058905379. I know one or two folk have done it on here but I'd originally saw it on Vortex.

Sadly I've had to take the car off the road as from April as I need the funds for something else. There is a big possibility I might have to strip the car of it's upgrades of which there are many if you care to read this whole thread so lookout for some juicy for sale ads. The car will most likely be put back to standard or as far as I can and kept tucked away in my garage until I decide it's future.

Not good Dave but needs must.

I'll be honest and say I'm leaning towards selling it rather than stripping it and taking it back to standard.

Shame about this Dave. I'm sure you've thought long and hard about it though and as said, needs must. If you do decide to sell, fingers crossed it stays within the community as its a great car. :thumbleft:

The car has some of the most individual and quality touches around so would be a shame if it has to go...

Best of luck with whatever route you take..

Sorry to hear this Dave.

What's the new project then?!

I don't think there will be a new project anytime soon, earliest it could happen is in the Winter.