stormseeker

VAG-COM scanning & help

A cheap eBay one

That's your problem. If it is an electically coupled one, the digital wave form shape will not have the correctly shaped rising edge to the digital pulses.

And if it is an opto-isolated one, it won't work with the 9A engine ECU... full stop.

So you're suggesting I buy a better one. But what one? I was advised else where the ebay one was fine for reading engine codes!

That's your problem. If it is an electically coupled one, the digital wave form shape will not have the correctly shaped rising edge to the digital pulses.

What difference do you think that makes? The ISO 9141 rise time is enormous compared to any distortion in the waveform - you'd have to have a very badly designed interface indeed to put that much capacitance on the bus.

I have a transparent blue one and it works fine with the engine ECU, but doesn't work with the ABS one...though I might not have got the settings quite right.

Stone

Stonejag, you need to lower the latency settings and it will work with the ABS system too. I have the same cheapo one as you and once you change these settings it works no problem.

I have the same cheapo blue one, has worked fine with every car so far. It's a bit fussy about the corrado but with the correct settings it works every time.

Stonejag, you need to lower the latency settings and it will work with the ABS system too. I have the same cheapo one as you and once you change these settings it works no problem.

Not on mine - could be something to do with running the software in a virtual machine though. I may invest in one of the Bluetooth ones anyway, would be useful to be able to tuck it away somewhere and leave it plugged in!

Stone

just scanned dollymans 94 valver, could read the abs fault codes, but not the ecu - message 'no response from controller'. Any reason or is there another setting that needs to be adjusted? thanks

If you need to scan the engine ecu then this method worked for me...

1- Change the baud rate to 4800.

2- Plug the cable in.

3- With the ignition off select the engine module in vcds and start.

4- In the top left it should be trying to connect. (counting down untill next try)

5- As its counting down turn the ignition on and wait..... it should now connect to the ecu

any ideas on how to talk to the ecu on a G60??? can only get ABS codes

If its post Aug'92 yes OBD1 or....

if prior to August '92 you do it by the old analogue method with a bulb & wires and a few 4 x flashes codes that the ECU will output (USA & Canada markets only, not available on European market Corrados).

Edited by RW1

Its easy. August 92, is the start of the new chassis year so it has to be chassis number 50PK000001 onwards.

I wrote the VAGCOM coding for Uwe Ross 15th March 2001 .

You will be able to look at below in Measuring Blocks:

0,0,General Engine Data

0,1,Intake Air,Temperature

0,2,CO Fuel Trim,Potentiometer

0,3,Coolant,Temperature

0,4,O2S Sensor,Active

1,0,General Engine Data

1,1,RPM,Engine Speed

1,2,Engine,Load (%)

1,3,Coolant,Temperature

1,4,Injection,Time

2,0,General Engine Data

2,1,RPM,Eng Speed

2,2,Not for,Customer

2,3,Not for,Customer

2,4,Injection,Time

3,0,General Engine Data

3,1,RPM,Engine Speed

3,2,Engine,Temperature

3,3,Not for,Customer

3,4,Injection,Time

4,0,General Engine Data

4,1,RPM,Engine Speed

4,2,Engine,Load (%)

4,3,Not for,Customer

4,4,Injection,Time

5,0,Idle Control

5,1,RPM,Engine Speed

5,2,Throttle,

5,3,Not for,Customer

5,4,Injection,Time

You will need the OBD1 to 2x2 connection converter to do it.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/AF2X2.html

Only ever dipped into one such Corrado in the last 12 years at a CCGB National Day. So they can be interrogated under normal settings unlike the 2.0ltr 16v 9A engine ECU.

Chassis number is

WVWZZZ50ZNK011927

It does have the 2+2 connectors

I can't get VCDS to do anything except ABS errors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chassis number is

WVWZZZ50ZNK011927

It does have the 2+2 connectors

I can't get VCDS to do anything except ABS errors.

Sockets doesn't mean you have digital engine ECU. They are just the digital hook up points if fitted and what is wired to them from which ECU.

All four pins of the black and white sockets must be wired. So you must have 4 wires under the gear stick cover going to these two sockets. Two from the ABS, two from the Engine. If its one, two or three wires to this area, then the engine ECU isn't present digitally.

The blue socket is not used.

USA Corrado's have a MIL light in the dash that flashes the codes in blocks of 4 flashes. This is not wired on European & UK market Corrados and there is no alternative.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Chassis number is WVWZZZ50ZNK011927

Corrado was built last week of March 1992.

Edited by RW1

What difference do you think that makes? The ISO 9141 rise time is enormous compared to any distortion in the waveform - you'd have to have a very badly designed interface indeed to put that much capacitance on the bus.

I have a transparent blue one and it works fine with the engine ECU, but doesn't work with the ABS one...though I might not have got the settings quite right.

Stone

I agree that the fact that a given interface uses an optoisolator should not be an intrinsic reason for it not to work with the 9A ECU. Rather, it's going to be more to do with the complete design of the interface.

Specifically,the 9A ECU doesn't seem to be able to sink much current when it wants to pull the K-line low. What I've found is that an interface should have a K-line pull-up resistor of not too much lower than 1K.

I've used both an interface I made myself and also a trasparent blue eBay one (which sounds similar to yours), and I had to increase the K-line pull-up resistance value inside the eBay interface from 560R to 820R before it would work reliably with the 9A. Prior to doing that, I could see on the 'scope that the ECU wasn't able to pull the K-line low enough towards 0V. (See post #306 on page 31.)

(Being able to communicate with the 9A ECU successfully turned out to be extremely useful. I managed to get the mixture calibration done, and it also helped reveal an intermittent closed throttle switch fault that I may never have identified otherwise.)

Edited by Trev16v

Sockets doesn't mean you have digital engine ECU. They are just the digital hook up points if fitted and what is wired to them from which ECU.

All four pins of the black and white sockets must be wired. So you must have 4 wires under the gear stick cover going to these two sockets. Two from the ABS, two from the Engine. If its one, two or three wires to this area, then the engine ECU isn't present digitally.

The blue socket is not used.

USA Corrado's have a MIL light in the dash that flashes the codes in blocks of 4 flashes. This is not wired on European & UK market Corrados and there is no alternative.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Corrado was built last week of March 1992.

i checked mine when doing the short shifter kit... i do have 4 wires going to the diagnostics sockets....

what should i be able to check???

G60 Engine ECU is just Fault codes and Measuring Blocks.

Measuring Blocks

;

; VAG-COM Measuring Block Labels for

; All OBD-I G60 PG, ECU p/n 037-906-023-xx

;

; Prepared by Chris Gaskell 15/3/2001 England - UK

; (Ref.Bentley - Corrado)

;

; Unverified/Untested!

;

0,0,General Engine Data

0,1,Intake Air,Temperature

0,2,CO Fuel Trim,Potentiometer

0,3,Coolant,Temperature

0,4,O2S Sensor,Active

;

1,0,General Engine Data

1,1,RPM,Engine Speed

1,2,Engine,Load (%)

1,3,Coolant,Temperature

1,4,Injection,Time

;

2,0,General Engine Data

2,1,RPM,Eng Speed

2,2,Not for,Customer

2,3,Not for,Customer

2,4,Injection,Time

;

3,0,General Engine Data

3,1,RPM,Engine Speed

3,2,Engine,Temperature

3,3,Not for,Customer

3,4,Injection,Time

;

4,0,General Engine Data

4,1,RPM,Engine Speed

4,2,Engine,Load (%)

4,3,Not for,Customer

4,4,Injection,Time

;

5,0,Idle Control

5,1,RPM,Engine Speed

5,2,Throttle,

5,3,Not for,Customer

5,4,Injection,Time

;

Edited by RW1

Either. And the file is already in VCDS so as Measuring Blocks screen are labelled. ;) :D How time flies!