stormseeker

VAG-COM scanning & help

Think its even less likely to work with windows 7.... its the new OS with older software that can be a problem.

Not sure about the clicking from behind the dash though.

Windows 7 works better with old stuff than vista, so it could be worth a try.

Fair enough then, give it a go! Whats the worst that can happen? :D

A click or two in the dash suggests the VAGCOM software is OK. I'd look at the interface you bought off fleabay. The software is crashing because there is no reply coming back.

A click or two in the dash suggests the VAGCOM software is OK. I'd look at the interface you bought off fleabay. The software is crashing because there is no reply coming back.

Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt it display a message if it doesnt get a response, rather then just crashing? :shrug:

It pops up with Vagcom is not responding or something like that and automatically closes it. I've once managed to get it to come up with a few details of the car at the beginning of the scan but then it crashes before the scan can be completed. After this it just crashes everytime i try and scan anything...

Tried on 2 different laptops running vista about to try one with windows 7. :censored:

It pops up with Vagcom is not responding or something like that and automatically closes it. I've once managed to get it to come up with a few details of the car at the beginning of the scan but then it crashes before the scan can be completed. After this it just crashes everytime i try and scan anything...

Tried on 2 different laptops running vista about to try one with windows 7. :censored:

Yeh give the win 7 a go. Where are you based?

Cranbrook Kent, i seem to get a mixed response from the laptops, the first time i run it it works the best. After that it crashes everytime. If i try on a new laptop again i get some progress like the engine data comes up (despite listing the car as a 2.8) but then everything crashes...

Does anyone have another copy of vag com on cd they could send me or is the software paired with the cable type?

Cranbrook Kent, i seem to get a mixed response from the laptops, the first time i run it it works the best. After that it crashes everytime. If i try on a new laptop again i get some progress like the engine data comes up (despite listing the car as a 2.8) but then everything crashes...

Does anyone have another copy of vag com on cd they could send me or is the software paired with the cable type?

No you can try different version. If you got to http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/ you can get other versons there.

Thanks for the link and all your help, had a look over it, do i want the VCDS Release 908 download?

I've recently got VAG-COM, so I can help out in the Manchester area, have the OBD2 lead.

I had a few issues using it with Windows Vista at first (Using a USB>serial cable off ebay, and VAG-COM 409), here's a few tips if you plan to do the same -

Make sure the cable comes with a driver suitable for Vista, install this first

Install the Vagcom software in a folder directly in the root 'C' drive, i.e. C:\VAGCOM\ (don't install in C:\program files)

After VAG-Com software is first installed, use the 'Windows compatibility wizard' on the VAG-COM shortcut (see windows help for a link to it)

when using the Wizard, select 'Settings for windows XP SP2' and 'run program as Administrator'.

When the Wizard has completed, VAG-COM should work fine from its shortcut without freezing/crashing.

Also as mentioned in other posts, don't forget to change the latency timer of the USB serial port to '5' if you want to read ABS codes -

(Control panel/hardware/devicemanager/ports/ 'USB serial port' advanced tab)

Just followed this guide above for use with vista and it worked fine (i think!!) didnt get any faults but was hoping for some answers as to my very intermittent missfire.

I just tried reading the fault codes of my mates S4 (B7 model) but during the scan it popped up saying i needed to upgrade my software. Is there a (free)version available that will read and clear codes for this car?

I just tried reading the fault codes of my mates S4 (B7 model) but during the scan it popped up saying i needed to upgrade my software. Is there a (free)version available that will read and clear codes for this car?

"Using a USB>serial cable off ebay, and VAG-COM 409"

If its still this one you have, then your lead may also cause problems. And v409 isn't good enough for a 2005 - 2008 Audi.

Where abouts are you in Manc?

Im in Kent mate, the cable fits the audi and the interface recognises it and begins to scan but i get a pop up blocking the scan saying i need to upgrade :(

Is there anyone with Vag-com and a 2x2 adapter in the Egham area of west Surrey please? I need my ABS codes reading....

Anyone in or near Sheffield with VAG-COM and a 2x2 adaptor? My ABS light is on, think it's a sensor but needs reading.

I don't mind travelling as long as it's not too far

Someone fancy swinging by mine and scanning my 92 VR6 (2x2 connector).

She's in the garage, not going anywhere fast.

I'm a couple of minutes from junction 26 of the M6 (Wigan/Upholland).

Coffee and biscuits at the ready...

I have a working VAGCOM with OBD2 & 2x2 pin connector now if you want to put me on the list. Im in Southampton.

Hello.

I have a '93 VR6 (2x2; only had for a week). Getting terrible MPG at the moment (averaging 20mpg) as well engine occasionally cutting out on idle, when it is a little chilly in the morning. Have just broken the bonnet cable, but am able to pull it with wrench, so at least no grill dismantling for me (well not anytime soon in this weather).

I live in Aylesbury (Bucks), and am of course willing to drive a fair few miles to anyone who would be willing to lend us a hand.

Thanks

Anyone with VagCom near to me around this weekend? Would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

Yup that's great, sent you a PM but not sure if it got through :/

Nick

anyone close to either bath or tidworth willing to vagcom my VR6 - has the 2x2 pin connector but i have an adaptor from the multipin.

Tim