stormseeker

VAG-COM scanning & help

Just so everyone knows i now have Genuine VAG-COM and lead in the Cheadle Hulme area of Stockport if it can help anyone out then they are more than welcome to use Oh and its only the OBD 2 port i have so late cars only

I originally posted up this fix years ago. You DO need an interface lead that is electronic, not optical for the 9a engine ECU and the minimum version is v409, earlier won't work.

You also need to reduce the Baud Rate before engaging the ECU otherwise the ECU will "choke". To clear the "choke", back out of VCDS all together, then the ignition needs to be off for a few seconds and then turned back, then back in with VCDS on until you get it right, then it will be plain sailing. You cannot change the baud rate while the VCDS is actively engaged or trying to engage the ECU.

Not much in the ECU to do once inside on the 16v!

The interface lead I use for this is: Twin Com used is Ross-Tech's with v409 (Now VCDS Lite). Baud Rate: 4800, set thro' "Options" button.

My laptop is set up to run two short cuts to two separate copies of VCDS. One for general usage, the other specifically set-up to access a 16v ECU with 4800 baud setting.

Thank you for this reply some time back. Many months later I have finally got round to looking into this again, as I wanted to be able to communicate with the ECU in my wife's 9A 16V. I've now done this successfully and hopefully what I've learned will be helpful to others. I'm going to go a little technical here; anyone wanting to just know the solution can skip to the end.

Last night I put together my own interface which quite simply consists of three transistor level shifters/inverters for bi-directional Tx/Rx on the K-line and Tx drive on the L-line. I used this interface circuit through a serial to USB dongle (which most probably contains an FTDI IC). I've been trying to versions of VAG-COM: An old V409, and the current VCDS-Lite. I used the oscilloscope to see what was going on over the K and L-lines when VAG-COM was attempting to communicate, and from this learned of some interesting quirks.

When VAG-COM first attempts to initiate a connection with the ECU when you hit the "01-Engine" button, VAG-COM does the following things:

(1) First of all a few bytes of data are transmitted at relatively high baud rate.

(2) Then, VAG-COM sends the 5-baud (200ms per bit) 0x33 initiation byte. This it retries many times over; it happens each time you see it do the "retry in 2s" countdown.

I don't know what VAG-COM is doing in step (1) because it's NOT how initiation should begin. I can't look at the data in detail because my 'scope is a crap analogue one but I'm assuming it's an AT command that VAG-COM first sends to try to discover if you're using an intelligent adapter (intelligent adapters are AT-command driven, and they save Windows the burden of having to write to a COM port at non-standard baud rates). Then presumably it falls back to 'dumb' mode after that, generating the 5-baud initiation bytes itself. What I realised however is that the 9A ECU stubbornly refuses to reply to the 5-baud initiation bytes if it sees the high baud-rate data at the start. However, if power is switched on to the ECU at a later point during one of the retry wait periods, the first activity the ECU will see on the bus will be the 5-baud 0x33 that it recognises, and it'll then happily respond.

Furthermore, the baud rate setting in V409 / VCDS need not be touched at all, I found. In fact, I struggled to see the baud rate setting actually have any effect at all on what I saw happening on the bus. Need to investigate that more.

Another thing I notice is that sometimes when ECU does respond (i.e. sends response bytes back after the initiation command) but VAG-COM doesn't register it! I suspect a timing issue within VAG-COM itself.

So in summary, I can connect to the 9A ECU very reliably if I ensure that the ignition is OFF when I first hit "01-Engine", and I only turn the ignition on again when it is counting down from 3s. If that fails, cycle the ignition again when it says retry in 4s. If you hit "01-Engine" with the ignition turned on, the ECU will absolutely not accept a connection. I leave the baud rate at default setting.

This advice is based on using a dumb interface (which, in my case, is one I put together driven via a USB/serial adapter). Next I'll try some readily built ones off eBay.

Can't get VCDS to work so wouldn't mind a little help from anyone please.

96 8V Corrado (ADY engine code)

Installed VCDS lite to the laptop (From Ross tech).

Connected the cable to the car/laptop.

Turned the ignition on.

Options - Test - Save.

Auto Scan - Chassis type: 50 VW Corrado - Turned the ignition off and on when prompted (airbag check) - Scan 01 02 03 15 25 - End------

Didn't bring anything up. So I went into:

OB11 functions - Dialogue box.

Test status: Test complete.

Result: Car is not ISO/OBD11 compatible.

If this car is a VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda - Try: Select - 7 individual controllers.

Really confused as I thought VCDS was pretty much plug and play.

Closed the laptop with a pen on the keys. Result: Cracked screen = I am an angry man.

I now have no laptop. A car that still doesn't work and no further on.

Please help before I set fire to the damn thing.

NB: I'm two minutes from Jct 26 of the M6 if anyone is in the North west and would like to help.

Edited by James.

James - can't personally help with your VCDS situation but if you needed someone to replace that laptop display then I could do it for you easily if you needed someone to do it (brand new replacements obtained on eBay very easily); however I'm possibly a bit far from you being in Oxfordshire.

Just another question regarding the 16V 9A ECU if anyone can advise. I am aware that when the old 1551 tool is used to read group 00 from this ECU, the ECU disables the digital idle control to allow you to properly set up the ignition timing. (I did notice some time back that the 9A ECU appears to use digital idle, or "spark scatter", to control idle, thus giving an unstable timing mark when you use a strobe gun on the flywheel.) Can anyone confirm whether using VCDS to read group 00 has the same effect? I'm hoping / presuming it does.

Edit: Hmm, okay - according to VCDS online documentation, the 'Basic Settings' window is equivalent to 1551 function 04, which is what the VAG manuals tell you to use to read group 00 and disable the digital idle.

(If anyone needs it, the 9A timing manual that mentions this feature can be found here: http://doc.vw.org.ua/ignition/b3_28_ignition_system.pdf. If you browse through the directory structures, there's lots of other useful information. It's best to refer to the Passat B3 or CIS or KE-Jetronic files; don't try to find Corrado 16V files there.)

Cheers,

Trev

Edited by Trev16v

Scan help needed two minutes from jct 26 of the M6 (Wigan/Skelmersdale) 16pin obd2. Been told it has to be a genuine cable as the 8v can be picky.

All help appreciated.

Guys,

Just update to my earlier post about successfully using VAG-COM with the 9A KE-Jet ECU. Previously, I had success connecting reliably using a homebuilt interface. Next, I bought an unbranded USB / VAG-COM interface off eBay to try that. It's in a transparent blue plastic enclosure and has an FTDI USB IC. I found that this commercial interface did NOT communicate with the ECU, and a quick use of the 'scope revealed why. The problem was that the interface's internal pull-up resistor on the K-line, 560ohm, was just too 'stiff' for the 9A ECU to be able to pull down to near enough 0V. I changed it for 820ohm, and bingo - communicates with the 9A's ECU perfectly.

I expect this is the reason why many VAG-COM interfaces won't talk to the 9A 16V ECU. There's the fix!

Trev

Good work Trev. Do you think this fix could be transferred across to the 8v ADY engine management ?

James are you still struggling with Vag com lead etc, are you going to awesome gti open day this sunday and then Tatton Park the following Sunday if so i could let you borrow mine for a week as im going to both ?? Its all genuine and with software etc

Hi Jon

Got the car running, but it has an intermittent ABS issue.

I'll be at Tatton but not Awesome (doubled booked that day).

Main problem I have is that I destroyed my laptop after scanning last time by cracking the screen.

If you were planning on taking a laptop then great. Otherwise I'm going to struggle.

Hi Jon

Got the car running, but it has an intermittent ABS issue.

I'll be at Tatton but not Awesome (doubled booked that day).

Main problem I have is that I destroyed my laptop after scanning last time by cracking the screen.

If you were planning on taking a laptop then great. Otherwise I'm going to struggle.

So your bringing the 8v to tatton park not the campaign??

Yeah i can bring my lappy if your 8v is going on the stand mate no problem

Scanned with VAG COM and I find

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1

Thursday, 01 September 2011, 20:49:13.

Chassis Type: 50 - VW Corrado

Scan: 01,02,03,15,25

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 021-906-258.LBL

Controller: 021 906 258 AG

Component: MOTOR PMC 1

Coding: 0261203109

Shop #: 1267357531

VCID: 59C50E67D017

3 Faults Found:

00525 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor (G39)

29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

00537 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

08-00 - Please Register/Activate

00553 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

29-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 021-906-258.LBL

Controller: 1H0 907 379 C

VCID: 2F1190BFFE13

Note: Excessive Comm Errors

So looks like the Lambda Sensor is suspect. 00537 also a lambda code I think but 00553 is MAF perhaps?

Also - can the shareware version clear codes? I'll have a better look at the weekend but thought I'd ask.

Anybody in or near Hull with a VAGCOM please? My ABS light occasionally comes on and want to get it sorted!

Next, I bought an unbranded USB / VAG-COM interface off eBay to try that. It's in a transparent blue plastic enclosure and has an FTDI USB IC. I found that this commercial interface did NOT communicate with the ECU, and a quick use of the 'scope revealed why. The problem was that the interface's internal pull-up resistor on the K-line, 560ohm, was just too 'stiff' for the 9A ECU to be able to pull down to near enough 0V. I changed it for 820ohm, and bingo - communicates with the 9A's ECU perfectly.

I expect this is the reason why many VAG-COM interfaces won't talk to the 9A 16V ECU. There's the fix!

Hi Trev,

Do you mean 8.2k ohm? I have one of these blue Hong Kong specials and my pullup is marked '562' - multimeter confirms it as 5k6. It couldn't talk to my VR6 (just lots of clicking from the fusebox relays and a comms timeout) so this might be the answer for me...

Stone

Is there anybody near the Poole/Bournemouth area willing to give mine a quick going over??

I have an OBD1 (2+2) connector

Right, ABS light came on so after a scan it came up with these errors:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0

Saturday, 29 October 2011, 14:42:51.

Chassis Type: 50 - VW Corrado

Scan: 01,02,03,15,25

Address 01: Engine Labels: 021-906-258.LBL

Controller: 021 906 258 AG

Component: MOTOR PMC 1

Coding: 0261203109

Shop #: 1267357531

3 Faults Found:

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

10-10 - Adaptation Limit Not Reached - Intermittent

00561 - Mixture Adaptation

14-10 - Mixture Adaptation: Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded - Intermittent

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 021-906-258.LBL

Controller: ABS /ED S

Note: Excessive Comm Errors

I've no idea what to make of the ABS 'Excessive Comm Errors' and after checking the Ross Tech Wiki for the other codes the symptoms are now more visible to me. However they offer up various different ways of possibly resolving the issues but I was wondering if anyone has experienced these codes themselves and if they were able to come to a solution?

I did have an issue with the damper box on the ISV, where it was cracked etc, it still is but we coated it in filler but there might still be a hole, also I need a new CAT so these could help with 00533 and 00561 as they mention causes being possible air leaks with intake/exhaust. 00537 could be a faulty O2 sensor but after reading online people have replaced them and still had the issue...

I guess my first port of call should be replacing all these items; O2 sensor, Damper box and the CAT and go from there, unless anyone else has some other ideas as these are all expensive parts :(

Any help would be grateful

For your engine faults ive got no suggestion others then the ones you said... Now for the abs having to many comms errors thats down to the cheap usb ebay cable.... You can try and reduce the bit rate on windows device manager and it should work. Maybe some one can post on how to do it

Goto here and download the 1.1 lite version. Your using 1.0 and if i remember right that'll be the one you get on the mini cd with the cable.

As for the excessive comms error you need to goto [control panel/device manager/ports/ 'USB serial port' port settings and change the data bits to 5]

Could someone PLEASE make this a wiki/sticky! Many times I've seen this being asked and I was once one of them. I could sit and make a step by step picture guide if it helps?

If anyone is looking for a scan in the Glasgow (north lanarkshire) area I don't mind helping. I've got the OBDII blue cable and the 2+2 adaptor.

Pdf file for the definitions of the codes, very handy...

Edited by elliott
Talking keich

Cool thanks, i downloaded the one that the seller gave me a link for. Now I've got to catch the car with the light on as its intermittent!

Goto here and download the 1.1 lite version. Your using 1.0 and if i remember right that'll be the one you get on the mini cd with the cable.

As for the excessive comms error you need to goto [control panel/device manager/ports/ 'USB serial port' port settings and change the data bits to 5]

Could someone PLEASE make this a wiki/sticky! Many times I've seen this being asked and I was once one of them. I could sit and make a step by step picture guide if it helps?

If anyone is looking for a scan in the Glasgow (north lanarkshire) area I don't mind helping. I've got the OBDII blue cable and the 2+2 adaptor.

Pdf file for the definitions of the codes, very handy...

Wont let me change it to 5 only 7/8 and both give me the same error

Changing the latency seemed to get me the results.

I've got errors:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1

Thursday, 03 November 2011, 18:30:48.

Control Module Part Number: 1H0 907 379 E

Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS TEVES 04

Software Coding:

Work Shop Code:

VCID: 311596C7E827

3 Faults Found:

00276 - ABS Outlet Valve; Left Rear (N136)

35-00 - -

00280 - Differential Lock Valve 2

35-00 - Please Register/Activate

00532 - Transmission Control Module Relay - Supply Voltage (B+) Malfunction Low Battery or Bad Ground

-OR-

00532 - Supply Voltage (B+)

And i think i can hear the ABS pump turning on and off and the light goes and i hear a click (but not near the fuse box), then it comes on again

Edited by eugopnosaj

Ah good stuff, all working then. Data bits/latency are the same thing I thought? Using windows 7 here and I can't remember how xp works but should be the same (ish).

Are you scanning the 16v or VR here? Looks like you might have a dodgy abs relay, there are 2 of them and can be found right behind the glove box. Open the glove box, remove all the screws around the edge and pull the light fitting out. The whole box should pull out with a bit of a jiggle and a faf. Once out you'll see 2 relays and 2 fuses. I checked mine by removing one at a time and testing it out the car with a couple of wires attached to a 12v supply.

As for the outlet valve I also had this and was told it needed a new pump! Try removing the plug on the abs pump and giving it a clean, this seems to have fixed mine (for good hopefully?)

Don't know what the diff lock valve problem means? Maybe something to do with the traction control but hopefully someone here could help?

Edited by elliott

Thanks Elliott, I'm scanning the VR, the 16v doesn't have traction control (and it currently up on axle stands on my dads driveway :(). Yes, i remember those relays, I should have a couple of them left over from when I stripped my donor 16v (didnt realise they were for the ABS but i keep all relays) I think you can reach the relays from underneath if you pull the glovebox out slightly (until it reachs the 'hump') as i dont fancy taking the whole thing out again! Hopefully cleaning the plug will do the job for me too as i don't really want to buy a new pump :(

Edited by eugopnosaj