oneohtwo

oneohtwo's VR6 - New Engine!

Hmm, yeah I see what you mean. Looks like you're right, and it's the same part number. But now I am confused in several ways!

Looking again at my old GSF part, the all black plastic one, you can see that the rubber ring would slide all the way down to the where the screws sit, so the same place where it would sit on the new Bosch one if you got it over the black plastic. But the old one didn't fit properly either! And I am certain when I originally fitted the old black one I compared it to the one I took off the car and it was different, the one I took off the car being longer. Unfortunately it was about 10 years ago, and I don't have any photos of it, so I could be mis-remembering. I distinctly remember trying to force the rubber ring over the screw holders on the GSF one though... 

I did try to get the rubber ring over the black plastic on the Bosch when I fitted it, but it just would not go. I'll have to have another go!

I'm in the garage... My old one is original per stamping 94 so I don't know what you had there 10 years ago but it should be bang on if your replacement matches my part number. It's 100% same has the new one when compared. I took the rubber rings off, you can see that the one on the left (over the black part) is stretched more than the other one. Same part number, so it goes there mate,100%. Try silicone spray, anything slippery rubber friendly. Sounds dirty 🤣

IMG_20220405_132725556.jpg

IMG_20220405_132815804.jpg

Oh look at this. I did some digging around and found these:

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 034965561C - Auxiliary Water Pump (034 965 561 C) (ecstuning.com)

Additional water pump VR6 VW Golf 3 PASSAT CORRADO AAA ABS Water Pump 034965561C | eBay

Part number 034 965 561C not 251 965 561B. The ebay listing says it's for a Corrado, the ECS doesn't, just the Passat, but still the VR6. But you can see the plastic lower bit is much smaller, and there are no screws, so the rubber rings would slide all the way down the metal shaft, further than both the Bosch and old GSF one. That would make it fit as I remembered, so I wonder if that was what was on my car originally. Also makes sense about why the plastic GSF didn't fit properly either, because the screw housings were in the way.

Maybe they sent out both parts on different cars depending on what they had available? Could your lower ring be bigger in the first place not just stretched. (Sounds even worse now! 🤣)

Sorry mate, for some reason I didn't get the last updates on my phone? I was randomly checking if you had made progress and saw your last posts... 

So the first two aux pumps you posted look definitely different (longer like you mentioned) than mine which is similar to the last one you've posted. 

My part number (oem 94 + replacement) from Bosch is 0 392 020 024. 

I took those rubber rings out again and they are truly the same part number,035 959 209 E. This is original never tempered with and one of them is really stretched over the black plastic part of the aux pump. 

IMG_20220407_090915637.jpg

And these are the new rings from the dealer, now the part number is 035 959 209 F for both. 

IMG_20220407_091912880.jpg

They look correct - but I found before that they might not fit a replacement electric pump exactly and might need some modding.

I've convinced myself that the one on my car originally when I bought it back was the long thinner one. Interestingly if you search for that part number (starting 034) you will the replacement parts from other manufacturers look more like the new Bosch ones we both have. Only place I could find one not second hand that looked like it is here:

(40) 111016 Electric Water Pump T4 91> – VWS Car Parts (vwsonline.co.uk)

So it seems that particular design was stopped at some point. Almost tempted to buy that one just to see!

I may have another go at stretching the rubber over the black plastic, although it seems to hold in place well enough for now - it just doesn't seem right to have to stretch it out of shape like that. Long term I like the look of the billet ones although that is quite pricey for a bracket! 

Up to you! But mine is original 95 and came with the wider aux pump stamped 94 and from factory it was installed stretched. You may think it's not right and I partially agree "why not making two different size rings" but the bottom line is that is was installed this way from factory, at least in 1995. Cheers 

On 4/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, oneohtwo said:

I've convinced myself that the one on my car originally when I bought it back was the long thinner one. Interestingly if you search for that part number (starting 034) you will the replacement parts from other manufacturers look more like the new Bosch ones we both have. Only place I could find one not second hand that looked like it is here:

(40) 111016 Electric Water Pump T4 91> – VWS Car Parts (vwsonline.co.uk)

So it seems that particular design was stopped at some point. Almost tempted to buy that one just to see!

I may have another go at stretching the rubber over the black plastic, although it seems to hold in place well enough for now - it just doesn't seem right to have to stretch it out of shape like that. Long term I like the look of the billet ones although that is quite pricey for a bracket! 

I got one a couple of years back see i f i can find it on my ebay previous sales- might be to far back- for a 95 vr. 

Edited by Keyo

Ah it's gone chap!

Oh I certainly don't doubt that's how yours came from the factory, my working hypothesis is they swapped over the pump design at some point in the production run for the bigger style, or just used both interchangeably. Not a biggy either way.

Anyway, had a good weekend on the car. Picked it up from Longlife on Sat morning with a new exhaust. Looks pretty good and the early indication is that the drone/boom is much improved! They put a bigger mid section and back box on it, but as a bonus they cleaned up and kept the old tailpipe I had from Infinity, which saved some pennies and more importantly had some sentimental value. Couldn't fault the service either. Not much to see as it looks pretty well the same as before, but that's what I wanted.

y4mg4LOep1n4Vlxr6IQSayfPDvoisFfs8qgIXHW2

And then I got to work sorting some plastic trim. The steering wheel surrounds has been rattling about for ages, and no wonder when I got it off all the screw housings were snapped off, as well as some tabs so it was just loosely sitting there. I've found this plastic repair product called Plastex, which seems to work quite well. It's not the neatest to use, but it holds strongly:

y4mnoo31QFmPxUTsSAtloZdGJzk0tp2hLVbQslI4

Repaired the screw housing on the left, but the one on the right was unfortunately beyond repair as it was much flimsier. Also repaired all the prongs, which the product works well on. Seems as strong as new. Then put in some foam and neoprene tape on all the surfaces it contacts something else and put it all back together and no nice and solid with no rattles! Gradually getting them all... think it's just the C-pillars that need doing now.

Also used the Plastex to repair the rear seatbelt cover that a garage broke. It's hard to tell after the repair, but basically all that was surrounded in red was broken out. All of that is new material. Then gave it a spray black and it's come out pretty well, despite me drilling the hole off centre!

image.png

y4mwMjYdE5SZQnuTHawZPkIs5zM0znVhD9XSDg8v

I am pretty pleased with the results considering it couldn't go back on the car before.

Edited by oneohtwo

Small update - I had the ABS pump refurbished last year through Stealth (BBA did the refurb) after I had some brake issues (details earlier in the thread). Now the ABS light has come back on and a scan turns up the same fault code as before, but a different valve. A bit frustrating as the pump was only refurbed a year ago.

Vince is on holiday so waiting to hear back from Stealth about what the warranty arrangement with BBA was. Don't really want to shell out hundreds again so soon, and also if it has failed again so quickly what's the likelihood it will do so again? Not really sure what the alternatives are, but it does feel like this could be a weak point in general going forward. 

Also swapped the PCV for a new one, and noticed quite a lot of oil in the pipe, such that it was dripping out (and obviously leaking). Obviously this is what the thing is for so will always be some oil through there, but I sort of expected for a newly rebuilt engine it would be minimal. Anyone got any experience here?

If your not using it much you’ll get a fair bit of vapour burning off at running temp, as your oil is constantly absorbing water vapour. 

Ah so the vapour evaporates as the engine heats up, escapes through the PVC and takes some oil with it?

Anyway, more tails of woe to add to the ABS and odd running issue. Some lovely person did this the other day:

y4m6oB8SPRNzPHGJMm5vd1EotTLh54M7M_sxil0y

y4mcAXsVoZVZ49WE6r8FYktiHDbHZX0291wVHKK6 y4mgblCrpFvFx80lrh1wotUU_byGGyUihqlMzwFc

Typically didn't leave a note with any details. Really hacked off. It's properly bashed the wheel arch in, including the crease line so that's not an easy repair. Also that finally rounds off every corner of the car having a scrape or dent, to add to the car park knocks along the side from various people. Haven't decided what to do with it yet. I have been building up to hopefully getting a respray to sort all these issues so I could just leave it for now and hope that comes together, although will add to the expense, but part of me thinks what if this happens 2 weeks after getting it resprayed?! You'd be devastated. But also I don't want to leave it as is, because it ruins the car.

And the Corrado seems to attract them... the other cars on the street are all largely scrape/dent free. How do they manage to pick out mine?! It's smaller than most!

All in all not a good few weeks for the Corrado. 

Edited by oneohtwo

I am absolutely gutted for you.  Bastards.... but at least you do use yours. It is a shame that this is the result.

Keep doing your best to look after her.And when you respray her, you need a garage 😊

Think you might be right about the garage!

I think I will see if I can get one of those mobile dent repairers to do the dents form now, or maybe a repair shop, and then try to fix the scrapes myself. At least then the package will look presentable and can then get a good respray further down the line.

ahhh gutted to see that. Some thinners on a rag should get the white marks out and a mobile dent man can hopefully do the rest. 

Otherwise there are smart repairs who could just paint what is needed. You're right about respray - paying out to get that done and having it damaged again would be soul destroying and may well prevent you from using the car. Even after a respray you may find you have issues like water leaks or whatever, tbh unless the car really needs full paint I would not recommend it on both cost, hassle and having something so perfect you might not use it. 

If your damage is just bumper corners I'd get a smart guy round to do it. If you need more than that I would just get the sides painted and the bumpers sorted. If doing the sides take a look at the sills (back, a-pillars behind wing) and get them back to metal and repaired. If its just door dings and that arch (post thinners) that need dents removing i'd get a dent man round and keep your paint - perhaps get it professionally mopped and polished and it will look almost as good as respray without the hassle and cost! 

Gutted for you, some people!

go to Halfords and get some Meguires clay bar and spray. 
 break off a piece of the clay bar warm it up by needing it with your hands/fingers Apply the spray to the area concerned and then rub the clay bar over the paint. Small area at a time. 

Will the clay bar get the white marks out?

On 6/15/2022 at 6:21 PM, MJA said:

ahhh gutted to see that. Some thinners on a rag should get the white marks out and a mobile dent man can hopefully do the rest. 

Otherwise there are smart repairs who could just paint what is needed. You're right about respray - paying out to get that done and having it damaged again would be soul destroying and may well prevent you from using the car. Even after a respray you may find you have issues like water leaks or whatever, tbh unless the car really needs full paint I would not recommend it on both cost, hassle and having something so perfect you might not use it. 

If your damage is just bumper corners I'd get a smart guy round to do it. If you need more than that I would just get the sides painted and the bumpers sorted. If doing the sides take a look at the sills (back, a-pillars behind wing) and get them back to metal and repaired. If its just door dings and that arch (post thinners) that need dents removing i'd get a dent man round and keep your paint - perhaps get it professionally mopped and polished and it will look almost as good as respray without the hassle and cost! 

I think you're right on this, and I will go down this route. Might do some paint myself, I have attempted this before and the results weren't too bad. Will get the car looking smart again in the short term.

Just got back from Stealth where the Corrado has had the ABS pump rebuilt (fortunately still under warranty with BBA), a quick service and a re-map. With the 263 cams it's now showing a quite healthy 215 hp@5810 and 201 ftlb@4194:

y4mn6kSDWU56Ucag8orU4EaLnNuTkHEEq--WMiQE

Forgot to ask if that was high/low/in the middle of the expected range, but I'm pretty happy with the results. Nice to get a small increase in torque lower down the rev range as well. Hard to say, but I definitely thought it felt a bit more responsive on the way home. Surprised it was already just over 201 before the remap as well.

Together with the recent work around the throttle area, replacing of the PCV, ISV and Dashpot it's running really nicely. Probably the best it ever has since I have owned it. Had to use one of the Thermtec gaskets on the throttle body when I refitted it, they are surprisingly thick. For reference:

y4m0DfVjfQ9wwYsbrUi-NschLtNpNVrYP1DnBJFN

They do ones for the manifolds as well, but at that thickness I wonder if it throws out the alignment when putting all the parts back together? I only mention it because there don't seem to be many other options available at the moment.

Car sounds in fantastic health, so well done in getting her to this point.

I used one of those phenolic spacers too due to limited choice. As they are supposed to reduce heat transfer I didn't see it as a bad thing.

Oo I would love a remap and cams

Cheers! It's nice to get to a point where I don't really have to worry about the engine (well... maybe just a bit less than before!)  I drove it up to Stealth on the hottest day of the year, right slap bang in the middle of the 40 degree-er and it ran OK. Water temps were definitely higher than normal, but generally seemed fine. Only 1 nervy moment when I stopped at some lights and turned the engine off as per normal, and it didn't start on the first attempt. And an odd moment coming off the motorway slipway when the revs briefly started dropping. But changing down stopped that.

Certainly gives me confidence that it'll be fine in most conditions, and maybe if I ever wanted to take it abroad. Although with the lack of aircon maybe not... I think I was in worse condition than the car by the end!

Yeah the cams were a nice little treat! You've got a Schrick though haven't you? That's the ultimate VR6 shiny toy to cause maximum envy!