Sign in to follow this  
stemid

Drained oil and only 2 litres came out! (VR6)

Ok so I knew the oil was low, (the oil buzzer was coming on when going round sharp corners fast)

instead of topping it up i thought i'd drain it and give it a service at the same time.

but today i warmed the engine up for 5 min with it ticking over and then let the sump plug go, but only 2 litres have come out,

surely there must be more, it's been draining for well over an hour now. i can't believe i've been driving around with only 2 litres of oil for the last couple of weeks :gag: :cuckoo:

yeah i thought there should be twice as much really.

i haven't taken the filter off yet, but there can't be much more than 1/2 litre in that?

i think the engine takes about 6 litres when doing an oil change

Yes generally mine takes between 5 1/2 to 6 litres, 2 litres is concerning. Just make sure you check your oil more often and check the engine isn't making any tapping noises once you replace the oil

i can't believe i've been driving around with only 2 litres of oil for the last couple of weeks :gag: :cuckoo:

Yep, and you'll be lucky if you haven't f'cked a big end bearing.

Honestly mate, have a word! You knew the oil was that low and still kept driving it hard? :cuckoo: :D

Not the cheapest of engines to neglect :lol:

Blimmey mate your asking for a few digs posting that kind of honestly on here :lol:

......I cannot say anything though as I did the same to my 50cc Vespa - although that only cost me £250 for a fitted new engine :)

thing is i checked the oil about a month ago and topped it up a little,

but there are no visible oil leaks and i haven't noticed any smoke coming out the back so it's a bit confusing really.

i know it sounds far fetched, but maybe i have the wrong dipstick in there? i.e too long?

i would have thought the oil buzzer/light would be on all the time if there was only 2 litres of oil in it?

anyway i'll crack on with the oil change and put in 5.5 litres and see where it shows on the dipstick.

fingers crossed no damage done

Blimmey mate your asking for a few digs posting that kind of honestly on here :lol:

......I cannot say anything though as I did the same to my 50cc Vespa - although that only cost me £250 for a fitted new engine :)

i know, but i was kind of hoping someone would chip in and say it takes a long time for the remain 3-4 litres to drain out of such a big engine after it's been running :pale: :roll:

this is my first oil change on a vr so all new to me,

plus they say you learn from my mistakes..... hopefully it won't be too costly.

thing is i checked the oil about a month ago and topped it up a little,

but there are no visible oil leaks and i haven't noticed any smoke coming out the back so it's a bit confusing really.

i know it sounds far fetched, but maybe i have the wrong dipstick in there? i.e too long?

i would have thought the oil buzzer/light would be on all the time if there was only 2 litres of oil in it?

anyway i'll crack on with the oil change and put in 5.5 litres and see where it shows on the dipstick.

fingers crossed no damage done

I'd top up and then check for leaks. With so little oil in there it may not be enough to leak

Id also check to see if the wiring that goes to the oil sensor is ok. As you say, it should have been on all the time with only 2 litres of oil in there

as for the dip stick... did it read ok before you dropped the oil? (taking a cold oil reading)

as for the dip stick... did it read ok before you dropped the oil? (taking a cold oil reading)

no unfortunately i didn't, just dove straight in a drained it.

would definitely have been useful as a reference to have checked it first.

i'll have a look at the oil sensors tonight when i get chance to refill the system

no unfortunately i didn't, just dove straight in a drained it.

would definitely have been useful as a reference to have checked it first.

i'll have a look at the oil sensors tonight when i get chance to refill the system

just don't end up over filling her in your enthusiasm to do good! 6 litres max :wink:

they do tend to use oil, except the rebuilt ones. I keep an eye on mine after every long distance run and top up as necessary, but then i've got two small leaks by the oil cooler cap and oil filter mounting bracket, so i know i'm going to be losing oil. Maybe use a thicker grade of oil, say 10/50, so if there are any leaks it wont be so thin at temp to just leak out everywhere. You might still be lucky, but perhaps be careful in future....

Make sure the dipstick tube has the proper plastic cap on under the dipstick top bit. The previous owner on mine had just shoved the dipstick into the metal tube and it always read okay but i only found out like you when i drained and refilled the oil. Just did an oil change on my vr and i use 20w50 oil especially if its a higher milage. I was being cheeky and topped up with some thin stuff previously that was lying around and it made the engine very noisy and tappety and it burned a lot and fouled up the plugs so steer clear of the lighter grades. No offence meant by my previous post but you did walk into it :D

Unfortunately not. The buzzer only comes on if the pressure drops. i.e. if there is insufficient quantity in the sump and hard cornering shunts the oil away from the pump pick up.

The Corrado doesn't monitor oil level and condition like current VAGs do.

I would check your plugs for signs oil fouling as it does sound like your engine is burning a bit....

Don't just throw 5.5 litres in whatever you do. Just take your time, fill it up to about 3 or 4 litres, check the level, then just keep topping up in half litre increments, checking the dipstick, and so on. If you end up over filling it you stand to do other types of damage (ruin the cat, etc) :(

my mates G60 oil buzzer went off couple times, then next day his engine was shagged as the pump was knackered, cost ££££ to fix. Never drive a corrado with the buzzer going is my advice!!!

but saying that, i drove my valver around with it buzzing a lot as it had a newish pump, it was a sensor which cost me 2 quid and 2 minutes to fit.

I would never ever contemplate driving a car if the oil light came on. Switch it straight off and find out what is up with it. Even if I suspected a sensor, it's just not worth the risk!

I would never ever contemplate driving a car if the oil light came on. Switch it straight off and find out what is up with it. Even if I suspected a sensor, it's just not worth the risk!

I agree, i usually have a small 1 litre bottle of Synta in the car with me, never used it but its just nice to know!