GlosterOx

1994 Dark Burgundy Pearl VR6

Well it's been a few months since the last update so her goes. I visited DG in early April to have the head/cams/injectors fitted, all went to plan but ended up having to get all the guides, tensioners and tensioner bolt replaced as they were in a hell of a state (even though to me the engine seemed quiet?) - As money was tight after just coming back from holiday the chains were inspected and seemed OK so these will be done later. The top cover and inlet manifold were also painted silver to tidy up the engine bay too.

Took it to the NEC Restoration Show for a long weekend where it was admired, along with the other stand cars, and had 2 offers to sell it. I think the car took offence to this as 20 miles from home on Sunday night the alternator gave up the ghost on the M5 and had to be transported back on a low loader via the AA, luckily I had a rebuilt 90a one in the shed so soon back on the road again.

I have never been able to lock/unlock the tailgate lock with the key and on dismantling there was something jammed inside it, a replacement S/H one was sourced from the forum which cured the problem after retumbling. I only ever had one proper key with the car so whilst nosing around the store room of my local mechanic he had one NOS key left of the correct sort, so happy now to have a spare.

This last week Graham has had the car again at DG to finish off the chains and lower guide + tensioner, whilst the gearbox was out I got him to replace the release lever and spring "just in case". Other jobs to tidy it up were a new Febi wiper motor plus the long/short linkages off the GB, a better condition foliage cover with new seal (lots of leaves in the top of the heater box), a better condition set of scuttle trims with new retaining clips and finally a new bonnet release catch.

Graham commented on how well the bores and pistons in general looked when the head was off so that is encouraging as it approaches 224000 miles, with the work done it should hopefully carry on for many more!

The last jobs to get done now before the (hopefully) CCGB roadtrip around Wales is to fit the backlight kit for the heater controls from the GB and get it remapped.

A few pics:

Edited by GlosterOx

Nice work done there Ian , still going strong at 224k , that's testament to the VR engine . The bay looks lovely and clean too .

Nice work done there Ian , still going strong at 224k , that's testament to the VR engine . The bay looks lovely and clean too .

Cheers Rob, did you sort out the problem with the GB insulation on your bonnet?

Ian.

Yes mate , I did it again and waited longer for the glue to set up a bit more . All stuck properly now .

Yes mate , I did it again and waited longer for the glue to set up a bit more . All stuck properly now .

Good to hear, I'm still undecided whether to fit mine or not as I like the look of the painted bonnet - Decisions!

Ian.