GlosterOx

1994 Dark Burgundy Pearl VR6

Have been carrying out, with a bit of help, some more little jobs over the last couple of weekends. Started off by replacing with St/Steel the 4 screws that hold the struts to the tailgate, one screw in particular was very rusty with a rounded head and needed quite a bit of persuasion to come out. The clutch,brake and accelerator pedals all had new rubbers fitted (much easier after soaking in boiling water), then it was the switch in the drivers door frame that operates the interior light as the original had packed up.

Under the bonnet it was time to replace the thermostat and the seal that goes in the housing, it all came apart very easily and I now have a heater that throws out hot rather than luke warm air. Last weekend, after being mucked about by the powder coaters, I fitted the refurbed tank straps with St/St bolts and washers and also the fuel filter as I had no record of when it was last replaced. Final job was an oil and filter change, courtesy of cheap Castrol from Asda a few weeks ago.

I still have the original (I think) Sony Radio/CD in the car which works intermittently whilst the CD has packed up altogether - I have bought a fairly basic new Sony unit with green backlighting to try and keep the OE look but it does have a front USB on it so I can connect the 'phone if needed. The drivers door pocket is very scratched and has a duff speaker so I'm replacing that and fitting some Infinity components in them plus some 3 way Pioneers in the rear shelf supports tomorrow if all goes to plan.

Here's a few pics too:

Edited by GlosterOx

Looks very nice,good idea with the pedal rubbers,changed mine recently & they are a tight fit when they are cold

Good work Ian. Will be interested to see the RX2s ;)

Reckon we need a meet soon. It's been a while...

We could convoy up to the AGM if you can make that + do something else before. Haven't been to the Air Balloon for a while.

Nice work Ian.

**** that reminds me need to get the application sorted for coleford completely forgot about it this year!!!!! Doh

We could convoy up to the AGM if you can make that + do something else before. Haven't been to the Air Balloon for a while.

Sounds like a plan, we'll have to see what we can work out between us?

Ian.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Looking good Ian! Have you let Jake loose on the paintwork yet?

No, when you get up close the bonnet and tops of the wings are quite stone chipped - I have some time off soon so planning to visit the body shop that did Andy's to get a quotation to freshen it up.

Nearly finished the 16" RX2's so they should be on next week as well.

Ian.

Small update, now the thermostat and sensors seem to be working OK I refitted the plastic cover and replaced the expansion tank plus new G12++ as well.

The Passat Moonroof has also gone in and really lightens the interior, seals perfectly with just a hint of a bit more wind noise when on the road.

My RX2's are just about finished so will be swopping those over this week and giving the arches a good clean whilst I've got good access.

A couple of pics:

Had a busy day fitting my Golf Mk3 RX2's. There was caked on brake dust in places on them when I got them so a few hours were spent cleaning that off, polishing and waxing the paint.

The titanium(?) bolts were also very dirty so these were cleaned with a toothbrush and autosol metal polish. 2 of the rims were passable but the other 2 had kerb rash so the edges were cleaned up and filled as required followed by paint + clear lacquer. As these were going on the front they were also treated to a new pair of Hankook V12 Evo tyres too. Finally I bought new VW centre caps, bolt covers plus 8 new bolts as the front ones didn't look genuine and the shoulders were starting to round off as well.

Whilst the wheels were off I cleaned under all the arches plus shocks, springs and brake calipers.

Went for a quick test drive and am really pleased with them, the ride is a lot more compliant and forgiving over bumps/potholes plus I think they really suit the car.

One pic only I'm afraid:

Edited by GlosterOx

They look good mate what colour is your car is it dark burgundy pearl?

Yes James, it is DBP. It is booked in for the middle of next month to have a front end refresh of the paint on the bumper, bonnet, both wings and door mirrors.

Ian.

They've come up an absolute treat Ian 8) The ride height looks perfect. Need some more pics though! Where are you getting the paint done?

They've come up an absolute treat Ian 8) The ride height looks perfect. Need some more pics though! Where are you getting the paint done?

Cheers Andy, Jerry is going to do it who you recommended - It goes in for a week on Sat 16th March for him to work his magic. Hopefully picking up a 50mm splitter tomorrow so that can go on at the same time.

Ian.

The best colour but then i would say that it will look so much better with a refresh just don't get it done where stoney got his done (the one i now own) £6500 talk about ripped off but that is another story but hey at least it wasn't me.

The best colour but then i would say that it will look so much better with a refresh just don't get it done where stoney got his done (the one i now own) £6500 talk about ripped off but that is another story but hey at least it wasn't me.

Mines costing me about 1/10th of that figure!! - This is where I'm getting it done at:http://www.jbmotorsltd.co.uk/

Ian.

Cheers Andy, Jerry is going to do it who you recommended - It goes in for a week on Sat 16th March for him to work his magic. Hopefully picking up a 50mm splitter tomorrow so that can go on at the same time.

Ian.

Cool- may well pop in to see how it's getting on, as I need to get a quote from him ;)

Looking nice ,best colour as well ! ,mine was repainted somewhere near you guys , they were called country restorations in bath .

Mines costing me about 1/10th of that figure!! - This is where I'm getting it done at:http://www.jbmotorsltd.co.uk/

Ian.

Mate i have seen paint job's of varying cost but for £6500 the paint finish itself is very very good the prep very very poor it got a machine polish last wkend and it has helped in bringing it back to life but i have someone who is going to do a further detail/paint correction on it i am not interested in it looking like a show car it is not a show car and never will be i am not interested in winning show/shine trophy's it's not my thing i like driving my car's.

James.

Little update from last weekend, fitted the 50mm Splitter I collected from lamwagon (Adam) which was perfect as described - Also fitted a new reinforcing bar and new/cleaned up fittings all round, car looks much better now visually. The battery has not been holding it's charge recently so fitted a new Bosch one with a 4 year guarantee and put some acid absorbing matting underneath it just in case the worst ever happens, the engine now turns over with renewed vigor.

Lastly I spent some time (between snow showers) cleaning up all the door jams and surrounding area's that always seem to get caked in dirt, prior to it's visit to the body shop next week for fresh paint.

Ian.

Photos Ian or this post is pointless!!!!!!!

It was bl##dy snowing and blowing a gale so I gave up - Be patient and wait 'till it is out of the body shop!!

Ian.