Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Cheers chaps!

No plans for boost in the forseeable! It's not that I don't want more power, I just can't be fagged to go through all that boost nonsense again :D Knowing what I know now, I'd rather get an engine / car that was boosted to begin with!

No it aint, try one you'll see.

I didnt realise they did the exhaust for these. As long as it doesnt do the horrible tinny noise that Ive heard some R's do it will be ace and good to see a non Miltek, they fair have a monopoly.

Cheating or not, I'll always have a soft spot for a boosted 6 pot :D. The truth is none of the kits for the R32 really inspire me with confidence. HPA's manifolds are very nice but the rest of the kit is nothing special for the price imo. For that money I'd like to see stainless hard lines and decent ally pipework, but it's the usual cheapo silicon and naff fittings. And crimped boost pipes through the coils?? What's that all about? Lol

The Techtonics has the MK5 rasp that R32 fanboys love (I can take or leave it tbh) but it's not as tinny sounding as other systems I've heard. Sounds deeper and more refined.

Are there more 'all motor' tuning options you can pursue instead of boosting it then Kev? Can R32's be made into R36's relatively easily, for example? Or is that quite a substantial and expensive piece of work?

The Americans have been leading the way with all motor tuning so far and getting over 300hp in some cases. I'm thinking with 260-270 currently, another 30 isn't going to blow my skirt up, so a few K saved :D

There's a few MK4s with R36 engines in (one of them turboed, lol!) but again, at 296hp with 258lbft, it's not much of a hop up. It could probably remap to 320ish but such a small gain isn't worth the expense / hassle of the conversion imo.

The only option that makes sense in terms of cost and power is a 2.0 TFSI conversion. Obviously all the charisma of the 6 pot will gone immediately, but offset against a lighter more powerful engine :D

Didn't fancy a newer shaped S3 then Kev? Kind of ticks all the boxes except I've heard they have no "soul"

Yeah to me that would be one of those dont build a car you can buy moments. The R32 is a great all round package its a pity the bhp per £ tuning is not worth the gains. Its does seem to suffer from the same RS style tax I encounter.

Yeah to me that would be one of those dont build a car you can buy moments. The R32 is a great all round package its a pity the bhp per £ tuning is not worth the gains. Its does seem to suffer from the same RS style tax I encounter.

Yeah - I don't see there would be much point ripping the engine out of the R32, unless you really can't get on with the styling of the S3!

Nice deck shoes :D

I wonder if that's Jon from Stealth's old kit. Same pagparts turbo mani and intake etc.

yeah with the S3, it comes down to styling for me. I love the look of the R32 but S3s do nothing for me at all! It's like the Corrado again. The right styling but not enough power! The Mk4 is also at the right DIY level too. The MK5 platform has quite a few reliability issues.

Yeah there's defo an R32 tax with engine tuning bits.

I like the looks on the later S3 (2007 onwards) but I'd struggle to justify the extra cost for a car I only use 1-2 times a week.

I think you're right about the mk4 as well on the tinkering front, it's got a good following with plenty of parts etc so much easier to fettle with than something brand new.

Aye. There's nothing a keen DIYer can't do to a MK4. The chains are a lot more work than a Corrado, but not impossible on stands.

One thing any ex Corrado owner would appreciate about the MK4 is parts availabilty and prices. I've been really surprised by how cheap most of the parts are and back ordered stuff only takes 3 days to arrive from germany. Back ordered stuff for the Corrado usually meant it's obsolete or would take 2-4 weeks to arrive.

I'll be honest, 6 months on and I still don't look back at it after parking up. I haven't bonded with it in the same way I did with the Corrado and I certainly would never own any MK4 other than an R, but it's a cracking motor. I always liked the look of them but never saw what the fuss was about, but I do now :)

What's going on with you then Mic? I see you have Rob's old car in your avy but I heard a rumour you were selling it to Bristol B?

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Yeah I hear what you're saying, I can't think anyone would say they love the looks of the mk4 but everyone I've spoken to says the engine is a beauty. Plus I bet a non-modified golf is a bit nicer on your insurance premium?! :lol:

You have PM as well.

Didn't think I'd ever see the day that you parted with the Corrado Kev!

My ex had an R32 from when it was a year old,she had Schrick 264 cams,Milltek sports cats/unresonated system and Revo st 2 map on it in the end, initially had AmD map on it. We took it to the 'ring and did a track day at Spa in the wet, passed pretty much all the super cars in the rain :) Remember seeing 160 indicated on the way back on the autobahn (possibly) *cough*

Spa:

DSC_3246.jpg

Over the 4 yrs not a lot went wrong on it apart from a set of coils under warranty and a track rod end which I probably killed on the 'ring going through the Karussell at 50mph+ LOL. Oh and a set of OEM pads every time it went on track pretty much..

Good luck with it, looks a nice example!

Edited by GVK

Cheers Gary! We all move on eventually :D

Yeah I remember you / your missus having an R32 back in the day. I really couldn't see the appeal of them back then, but my Corrado rose tinteds were well and truly glued on at that point.

Did you / your missus notice much of an improvement with the cams on the R32? I hear so many conflicting stories with cams on 32s. Some folk say they make a huge difference and other people say a standard R32 can keep with a cam'd one!

Still got your MK2?

I thought the cams/Revo st2 that were done on the same day made quite a difference to mid-top end. Big Boys Toys (now AmD Essex) fitted the cams and put the Revo on, this wasn't without problems as they had a job flashing the ECU as it had been previously done by 'original' AmD in Bicester and had APR trial software at some point. Mixed opinions if back then (2004) AmD could actually flash via OBD port or they did a chip change!

They were 'only' the 264 cams and sadly BBT didn't have their dyno back then for any before/after comparisons.

I do have somewhere a graph from a dyno day at Chipped UK which is now Viezu in Bromsgrove, it's on my Photobucket somewhere I'll have a look and post it up. Had a weird running issue with the Revo which they sorted out at Daventry (I've been friends with Kev Hall who's worked there from from start for years) Apparently the rev limit had been set at 8k rpm and it had a timing curve suited for race fuel LOL.

I think as they were struggling with the ECU at BBT they may have used a file from their VW Cup R32, but that's my opinion.. When I was working for Listers VW I drove a stock one and it felt as flat as a fart.

Still have the mk2 but it's been sat there 3 yrs unloved, I've had health issues unfortunately.

Edited by GVK

Here's the graph. It was a proper 4wd rollers not just FWD with Haldex disabled, as I'm led to believe there can be differences in power output with the car not allowing full power on the dyno in 4wd mode. BMWs are the same, M3s/M5s etc need fuses pulling and in some cases a 'dyno-mode' being enabled on GT-1/DIS diagnostics.

Might explain peak power only showing as 5540rpm??

chippedukR32dyno640x480.jpg

vid too!

th_golfgirlchippedukdynovid.jpg

It also went on Awesome GTIs rollers with similar results, don't think I have the graph anywhere for that though.

Vid from Awesome GTI, run in FWD mode.

As ever 'dyno-lottery' comes into play!

Back in the day AmD used to claim 270hp for an R32 with remap/exhaust

They used to claim 300hp for R32 with cams/remap/exhaust.

This was obviously boll0cks!

Edited by GVK

Yeah I have experience of AmD from Geoff Everett's days too and the exaggerated dyno numbers :) It takes a bit more then cams and exhaust etc to get to 300hp and more, but it's mainly the intake manifold holding it back.

I think I might give the cams a whirl to be honest, it would be rude not to!

That's good power and torque at those rpms, especially the torque. It normally falls off past 3.5 ish K on the standard car, so the cams are keeping it going past 4K. That's good going! The power drops off at 6K sharply doesn't it, so not sure what happened there!

Sorry to hear you've had health problems. Hope you're mended now, or on the mend!

Nice clip! Rs do sound superb imo :)

Did you ever fit the cams in the Corrado or are they what you're planning to fit into the R32?

Yeh, on the mend now thanks.

BTW, did you realise Geoff Everett died within the last couple of years?

Did you ever fit the cams in the Corrado or are they what you're planning to fit into the R32?

Yeh, on the mend now thanks.

BTW, did you realise Geoff Everett died within the last couple of years?

Nah I sold them mate. In hindsight I should have kept them!

Glad to hear it :)

Geoff died not long after emigrating to the US, or was it Canada, can't remember but yeah that was a good few years ago now. He pretty much pioneered chip tuning in the UK. He was a clever chap!

I know he used to work with Vince quite a bit, remember being at Stealth in the 16v days for a tune up and him being there, yep, clever guy indeed. Went to live in Canada I believe.

A lovely looking 32 Kev and you are right about the colour, silver is very understarted and not in your face. I'm surprised you didnt keep the Vr in the garage though, a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into that.