Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Cheers Schteeeve... I might go to a breaker and cut the fuel lines off a MK5 Golf, just to get the push fit ends :D

I keep asking myself the same thing after all the problems I read about with the factory management :lol:

As good as the DTA is and it is good, it just doesn't have the kind of control I want. I don't have the time or money to get it as perfect as I want it. And I am being mega fussy here. No one who drove it would even know it was on aftermarket management, but you can't beat VW's control algorithms for consistency, which is what I want. It's all part of my OEM+ program :D

I'm doing a swap with a guy who wants to map his R32 turbo for huge power, and I want finer control, so it all works out nicely!

I just hope the things I've learned mapping the R32 can be transferred over to the ME7 ECU. If not, I might be back into standalones again soon after :lol:

LOL. I'm still undecided on engine mounts, but are seriously tempted by these - http://www.dli-teknik.se/index.php?section=products&subsection=3&cat=14&s1cat=525&s2cat=932&lang=en

In general news, I've put over 4000 miles on this R32 lump and it's getting faster and faster (remember it was stripped and rehoned prior to use) and it's been totally reliable. The DTA runs it a treat, so god knows why I'm even thinking about going MK5 ECU. Apparently the MK5 electronics don't like the big lump of torque being delivered without it's partnering systems connected i.e. Haldex & ABS. So it pulls it back and you get a flat spot between 1500 - 3000rpm.

This is probably why on the DTA the R32 goes like a raped ape with no flatties at all.

I've shifted the VGI port opening to 1500rpm and extended the close time to 4500rpm. This both gives it better traffic manners (less snappy) and beefs up the 4 - 4.5K torque. VW close the torque ports at 4100rpm and to me, the motor feels too flat if you do that.

Don't use Quantum Longlife III (5W-30) in an R32 ladies and gents as it's bloody horrible stuff. I've found Castrol Edge 5W-40 to be massively better. Less consumption, smoother running and more stable cam timing.

And my god do they run cool on the cruise. 82 water temp, ~70 oil temp. I verified that with a laser thermometer. If you cane it, then it will get up into the 90s very quickly but this engine is nothing like as hot running as a 12V.

Yup. But unforunately you need both a DTA engine ECU and a DTA throttle ECU if you want Drive by wire, which will set you back £1500 new. Obviously the mapping will be free. You'll also need an R32 engine harness, preferably MK4 as it's the nicer one to work with imo.

If you were to go full OEM and you were lucky enough to get both harnesses (rare), uncut (rarer still), you still need to spend ~ £600-£700 on loom and ECU modifications to adapt them to Corrado land.

Personally I would wait until DTA release a new ECU with DBW built in as it will be cheaper.

The only other option for DBW in the standalone market is Motec, but you're looking at £2500 for the ECU + an ' unlock fee' to release the DBW features.

Oh, and OEM prices for the MK5 management:

ECU - £1800+VAT

Pedal / fuse box harness - £800!

Engine harness - ~ £200ish

So neither option is especially cheap really.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Kev

Long time no chat!

I have a harness and ECU setup.

Interested in you throttle body controller setup if you're selling that separate to the DTA? If not could you point me in the right direction for one as I can't see it on their website.

Hi Kev, ur car is absolutely awesome!! I wouldnt worry too much about flatness in the factory management as mine has been in 2 years and never once felt flat/limp anywhere through he range......and pretty quick too running 13.5 1/4s, better if not traction limited! Anyhow i was just curious as to what hardware/software u will use so that u can play with the ME7 ecu? I have been on the lookout for something also. Thanks

Well i think i've got to to say it.

"This is the BEST Corrado i've seen on here" :notworthy:

There i feel so much better now

Kev

Long time no chat!

I have a harness and ECU setup.

Interested in you throttle body controller setup if you're selling that separate to the DTA? If not could you point me in the right direction for one as I can't see it on their website.

Hello sir, long time!!

MK5 or MK4?

The guy who's taking my DTA wants the throttle controller as well, but if you want from DTA, you have to ring them up and ask for it as it's not for public consumption just yet. Tell him you're using it with a VW throttle and pedal and you already have maps for them (from me) and he should sell you one.

Hi Kev, ur car is absolutely awesome!! I wouldnt worry too much about flatness in the factory management as mine has been in 2 years and never once felt flat/limp anywhere through he range......and pretty quick too running 13.5 1/4s, better if not traction limited! Anyhow i was just curious as to what hardware/software u will use so that u can play with the ME7 ecu? I have been on the lookout for something also. Thanks

Thanks mate! 13.5 1/4 is bloody awesome! Well done. As for playing with the ME7, I was kind of hoping to get together with Vince at Stealth and develop a map with him. Some of the stuff I've learned with the DTA should be able to go over to the ME7 hopefully!

I won't be buying all the mapping hardware as it's too expensive and I don't have a dyno!

Well i think i've got to to say it.

"This is the BEST Corrado i've seen on here" :notworthy:

There i feel so much better now

Really?! Why thank you sir! Very kind words indeed :D

I have just about a full mk4 4motion loom and ECU. It's already bee de immobilised.

Could you give me a rough idea how much the TB controller was? Is it a standalone device or does it have to be run with the DTA? I have Autronic SM4, which doesn't have DBW control so just after an independant controller to use on a mk5 r32 pedal.

The DBW box costs £500 inc VAT. All it needs from the Engine ECU is CAN Hi & Lo, a TPS connection (Throttle position) and an Aux (Pedal position). There engine ECU software does include tick boxes for the DBW (e.g. for idle control, setting the throttle stops etc) so whether it would work with the Autronic I couldn't tell you. You'd need to discuss with Allan at DTA, but he'll probably say no it won't work!

It always bugged me how VW flocked the dashboard shelves, but not the centre console storage bin. Things put in there just rattle around and make a racket, so I flocked it myself :D

Img_0017-2.jpg

Good flocking idea! How'd ya do it - is it a 3M film, or something similar?

M.

Yep, 3M film ;)

So I cracked the new welder out yesterday and glued my lambda bosses on in preperation for the Motronic management.

It's a nice little machine actually. Does what it says on the tin with no splattering :D My welds won't win any neatness awards but they'll get better with practice and it's only a downpipe which won't be seen :D I wish I'd taken up welding a lot sooner as it's not as hard as I thought it would be!

Clarke 135TE from Machine Mart, £275.

Img_0026-2.jpg

Lambda bosses glued in place.

Img_0024.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Diet Coke????!

That's the ash tray ;)

They are great welders for DIY use. I recommend trying the Co2/Argon mix gas for neater welds.

Yeah I grabbed a few cans of that after doing some research on welding forums :D But I'm just using up the CO2 that came with the welder first whilst practising!

is the left boss bigger than the right one or are my eyes playing tricks?

No they're the same mate. Get yourself down to Specsavers :D