Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

If you look at the bulletin it says mainly diesels affected, I'm pretty sure this is part of the noise-damping additions for diesel vehicles + obviously a few other models, like the extended foam covered undertrays, it's definitely described as a 'sound absorber for wheel housing' on the parts lists and only for 'TDI' in the 2003 parts list. I'll check but I'm sure my 1.6 doesn't have them.

Out of interest the 2 door cars seem to have more of these in the rear, one in a similar position listed as C-pillar to wheel housing, hopefully these don't rub!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79794[/ATTACH]

Diesel wings certainly seem to rot out more frequently for sure, I can't say I've noticed and increase in noise from ditching them, but my car is an 11 year old TDi so I expect some roughness tbh. I've not noticed similar rust issues wit A3s, Leon, Toledo or Octavias of the same platform?

Went up to Stealth today to fit a couple of goodies and see what map my ECU had in it, and then get Vince to remap it.

Starting with the goodies, we have the infamous "WALK" (WhiteLine Anti-Lift Kit), my old favourite Vibratechnics for the dog boner, and last but not least, a GFB DV+ to replace the OEM diverter valve (aka "dump valve"). The WALK replaces the OEM voided console bushes. A known weak point on this platform. I can see why VAG do that. It reduces steering wheel kick back and smoothes out assorted twitchinesses, but at the cost of feel and precision. The WALK doesn't increase vibration or add any unwanted bad behaviour.

Unbeknown to me, the previous owner had already fitted a VT boner (the man has good taste!), so we didn't bother with that. It's a testament to Vibra if I assumed the mount was OEM, because I can't feel the engine at all in the cabin at idle.

The WALK did it's job perfectly. Steering and braking are now epic, not that it was too shabby to begin with :D

The engine didn't feel quite right with the GFB DV+, so I've gone back to the stock one for now until we can figure that one out.

IMG_1546_zpsd1ec7e67.jpg

Now onto the mapping shenanigans.

My ECU was indeed revo'd by the previous owner as I suspected. Thank god I went to see Vince. Long story short: without him, it would have been extremely difficult to have any map other than Revo in it.

That and some other reasons really have put me off Revo & generic flash maps for life, not that I was a big fan of them begin with.

To give you an idea of the mental torque curve (more on that later) this was the first power run "as it was" when I arrived. It was a map with everything turned down that Revo forces your ECU to do if you disconnect the battery :scratch::censored:

IMG_1542_zpse80ccf18.jpg

Vince then managed to re-flash a stock file back into the ECU and it then made 245hp. Standard ones make nearer 260hp in the winter apparently :D Oh, 0.9 bar is the stock ED30 boost pressure. Finally I know!

A few runs and map tweaks later, we discovered the high pressure fuel pump can't keep up with the demanded rail pressure. What that means in english is, I need a new pump :(

But before we discovered that, the car started climbing out of the dyno with Vince's map!!. It had to be tethered down at both ends. Not something I've seen before on their rollers, not even a VRT!

They've only seen that happen once or twice themselves, with 500+hp cars. The reason for it, we think, is partly because of the way the torque ramps up so damn fast and because of the way their new dyno software controls the brake retarder.

Anyway, with a tired pump, we called it a day at 300hp and 334lbft. The midrange was dangerously lean, so Vince wound it back to 280hp and 300lbft for safety until I get a new / uprated pump fitted. Luckily the ECU throws a fault code if the rail pressure is too low, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Vince showed me another ED30 plot running his map which made 338hp, so that's what I'm aiming for :)

I'll update this when I get a new pump and the map turned up to the full Bovril level. For now, Ovaltine it is.

Another shout to Vince and the guys at Stealth. Legends. Firstly, I always leave with a tonne of new knowledge, thanks to their knowledge sharing and skills. I learned more about TFSI engines from Vince in 1 hour than I did trawling the net for 2 weeks :notworthy: Secondly, their prices are always better than reasonable and lastly, Vince's maps never fail to amaze me. Impeccable manners, creamy smooth and ballistically powerful :D

IMG_1547_zps04ce78f4.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Sweeeet! Sounds like an eventful day. Great results for now, but exciting to know theres plenty more to come! :thumbleft:

I'd imagine there are far too many sensors from all sorts of systems that need to be included for it to work well!

Always loved the ed30s, really fancy the 35 myself!

Great results , is there a reason one of these hasnt been dumped in a corrado yet or is the conversion to complicated

Should be doable if everything is transferred over but there will always be clocks / immob issues and the fact MK5 onwards takes vehicle speed from the ABS sensors instead of the gearbox.

I'd imagine there are far too many sensors from all sorts of systems that need to be included for it to work well!

Always loved the ed30s, really fancy the 35 myself!

Yeah lots of sensors!

There's an Edition 35? :lol: I thought the ED30 was a nice touch, and maybe do it again at 50 years old, but one every 5 years is a bit OTT!!

I'm sure you've already found this forum but if you haven't, take a look, they regularly have uprated fuel pumps for sale

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/

Yeah I have a look at that from time to time. Not many techies on there though!

An Ed40 must be imminent. I think the GTi turns 40 next year. Impressed by these bhp gains. I imagine the price was less than a 263 cam and remap job on a VR6 and you get far more ponies for your money.

Still mincing about with the old Edition 30.

For it's 100,000th birthday I treated it to a new chain and tensioner today as she was feeling and sounding a bit poorly.

There's no getting away from bl00dy chains and VWs is there??! :lol:

Engine is damn clean for it's age. I reckon it was looked after before I got hold of it. They're normally creosote brown inside like 24Vs by this mileage.

IMG_3845_zpszigjeicc.jpg

A fair bit of chain droop at TDC and nobody like slack stuff do they?

IMG_3843_zpsesbrf8t5.jpg

New chain and the droop is a lot less. Car is quieter at idle now which is a bonus. I caught it just in time I think. The chain has a habit of snapping if things get too worn in there.

IMG_3846_zpsi7zgihez.jpg

The Loba high pressure fuel pump is clobbering the cam follower HPFP. I suppose this might actually mean something to those with MK5 GTIs but this is yet another duff design by VW but easy and cheap to replace.

IMG_3847_zpsuyyc93ox.jpg

I miss the basic engineering of the Corrado! Having said that, this job was a whole lot easier than doing chains on the V6s!!

Going to be experimenting with a 3" downpipe and more mapping soon and hopefully get it close to 350hp :)

Good work, that is amazingly clean in there,

It seems to me that only merc and bmw (mostly)can design decent long lasting chains and guides

Are you going with a decat ot hiflow cat downpipe?

I got a 6R and looking at hiflow cats, the standard downpipe looks sooo restrictive

You've reminded me that I wish I'd kept my edition 30. Awesome power and I could drive it. Which is more than I can say for the corrado in my garage.

They are a car far better than the standard gti. DSG is great as it gives you launch control. Go for it

Seriously tempted with an ED30 have been for some time

It's almost enough to sell up and move on to a more modern car isn't it?

Looking good Kev, and good to see you're still getting your hands dirty

Yeah still happy with the old beast and can defo recommend one!

Are you going with a decat ot hiflow cat downpipe?

I got a 6R and looking at hiflow cats, the standard downpipe looks sooo restrictive

The one I'm looking at is the APR decat + sports cat. Looks really good quality.

Thought it was about time I updated my thread. Thanks to Photobucket screwing everyone over, 9 years worth of my Corrado pics are gone :( The old timers still here will remember my mentalist approach to the turbo conversion and other stuff. I loved it, such a great car, but my life changed drastically in 2012 and I had to move it on.

I can however update you on my Edition 30, which I've had for 3 years now.

Here she is when I bought her, standard other than a Revo stage 1 map.

36587929920_b62727dcdd_b.jpg

36797379546_c764e1696b_b.jpg

During the 3 years it's pretty much followed the same modification path as the Corrado. Chassis, power and lastly brakes....although I haven't done those yet as the standard MK5 brakes are actually pretty good!

I got rid of the Revo map and got a Stealth Racing map. More numbers and more smoothness. Really cannot go wrong with Uncle Vince :smug:

36985501065_511ab352ac_b.jpg

I can't help myself with cars and this one is following the same path the Corrado did. The mods are fairly extensive so far. I'm just sorting the chassis in readiness for a TTE420 turbo. VR6 turbo power, with 2.0 economy!

It's got Vibratechnics engine mounts, all 3.....

35577710833_4b0bf4fb17_b.jpg

35550161304_529782f41c_b.jpg

36533793331_2f18a2881c_b.jpg

TyrolSport rear hatch brace...

35063105504_488416583c_b.jpg

Loba fuel pump...

35550160084_3a339c619b_b.jpg

INA EA888 engine TSI roller follower conversion for the fuel pump. The factory flat tappet follower wears through on uprated pumps, common problem.

35577707993_cebc57ac51_b.jpg

36341182156_f0e0391181_b.jpg

Ohlins coilovers. Absolutely sublime. Incredible ride quality and unbelievable handling! All the Coilovers I tried on the Corrado are not a patch on these on these bad boys!

36153958563_7fc2b9b4c7_b.jpg

36812311202_086fd90f0e_b.jpg

36795791336_6a8462a9a4_b.jpg

Subtle lowering. Ohlins are about handling, not slamming :smug:

34959223194_fdb64576e0_b.jpg

35667479681_815da3bfd1_b.jpg

No sh1tty noisy intakes, all OEM under the hood, how it should be! It's also got an APR 3" downpipe hooked up to the OEM catback.

35550158154_ea0a1c240d_b.jpg

Plenty more to come. I'm really interested in seeing what the other old timer Corrado forum boys moved onto car wise. If anyone is considering getting a MK5, I can honestly say, DO IT. And get the Edition 30. One foot in the old school VW but not too new. I've driven MK7s, all of them. GTD, GTI, GTI Performance Pack and the R. None of them have the character of the MK5. They drive very similar, but the MK5 just has that old school feel us die hards love about old dubs. The MK7 and MK7.5 are just too digital. The MK5 still has that analog feel. Can't recommend it enough.

Looks great d the Edition 30 is definitely the one to have. I miss having mine (sodding divorce ), but such a great tuneable piece of kit.

The accelerator on it makes you smile.

Congratulations on a great car

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk