Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Do you have any injector dead time in General Engine settings, or in the battery compensation table?

Oh lord wtf are all these graphs and charts Kev lol...

Respect for doin this all yourself!

Just software mate :D How long to switch the injectors on for, how long to spark the spark plugs, that kind of thing. If you think that's bad, you should see the standard R32 software! It's horrifically complicated for beginnners.

7000 is my rev limit ;-)

have you got pics or a parts list for the bits you used for the air filter?

Starting to think that's the way forward now, especially with my coilpack taking up valuable induction kit space.. although saying that I can't find a standard airbox anywhere anyway!

Just software mate :D How long to switch the injectors on for, how long to spark the spark plugs, that kind of thing. If you think that's bad, you should see the standard R32 software! It's horrifically complicated for beginnners.

7000 is my rev limit ;-)

Awesome!

I can confirm that mine has the 5k kick, though on mine it's more like 4.5k...

Minor update. Flew through it's 9th MOT today. Mileage now not far off the big 200K :D

I also had the UnitedMotorsport downpipes modified today, to fit a 3" flex bellow and my 3" V band cat from the turbo engine. No more stinky exhaust smells :D I've been told the exhaust is far too quiet now, but I like it that way!

Img_0241-1.jpg

That's good news, nice to get an mot with it on the new engine, it looks so factory under the bonnet I can't see any tester knowing it wasn't originally there. Bet it's lovely and quiet cruising along, I remember seeing pics of all the dynamat that went into it too :)

Where did you get that 3" V-Band cat from Kev, I can't find them with google. I must be searching for the wrong thing.

Hi Kev hows the Corrado going? Do you still believe that you can attain the 320 bhp mark that you hoped for at the start of installing this engine? Or are there limitations that you've reached that you think that can't be passed?

Cheers Alan

That's good news, nice to get an mot with it on the new engine, it looks so factory under the bonnet I can't see any tester knowing it wasn't originally there. Bet it's lovely and quiet cruising along, I remember seeing pics of all the dynamat that went into it too :)

Thanks! Yeah the tester didn't even comment on the engine, just stuck the probe up the exhaust and passed it :D

Where did you get that 3" V-Band cat from Kev, I can't find them with google. I must be searching for the wrong thing.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-MDP-004&Category_Code=MDP

Hi Kev hows the Corrado going? Do you still believe that you can attain the 320 bhp mark that you hoped for at the start of installing this engine? Or are there limitations that you've reached that you think that can't be passed?

I think so yeah. Vince has been getting better and better with the R32 mapping and has been getting near on 300hp from standard engines in MK2 conversions etc. With the 268 cams, I think 320 is defo possible! At the moment I'm still 'learning on the job' with the mapping and figuring out what VVT timing it likes and what it doesn't like etc etc. Trying to make it more economical at the moment as well, now that V power is nearly £1.50 a litre!!

I used to buy my E85 from Morrison's in Ipswich, not sure if they still sell it

Last time I bought E85 from there it took half an hour to dispense a gallon, so I gave up and never went back!

This is pretty incredible, congrats!

I would love to do a rado r32 conversion, I'd be ok with the mechanical stuff but the re-mapping etc scares me!

I think using a DTA or other aftermarket ECU as you have done is the way forward, cos you can iron out all the 'problems' with the engine such as flat spots etc.

What software and diagnostics have you used to do the map?

Well done again!!

Thankyou sir :D

The mapping isn't too bad tbh. It's a damn site easier on a load adjustable dyno, but not impossible on the road :D The mechanical stuff as you've correctly guessed is a cinch, especially if you can weld, then you can knock up your own downpipe in no time.

It does drive very nicely with the DTA I have to say. The standard software is really quite snatchy at low rpm / pedal movements and can feel pretty flat past 3000rpm. I can tune all that out with my setup. I think the standard software can be equally smooth too, but not many mappers seem to have achieved it yet. Revo is close with it's tamest throttle map.

Then only thing I've used to map this is a wideband lambda and the ECU software. It takes a lot longer doing it DIY, but the pay off is you learn something new and it's free :D

Cool, thanks for the info!

I intend to learn to weld on my rado project, but we'll see how that goes!

Sounds good, I like to think I'm fairly competent at picking up new stuff so perhaps I'll give it a shot. The only bad things I've heard about DTA is the availability of mappers (i.e you have to travel far to find someone to map it) which could be expensive if you need to trailor, but if you do it DIY then that gets rid of the issue. Still doing some research on other ECUs...

Hi Kev. Would you mind to tell me how did you wire R32 coilpacks and what settins you using,please.

Hey. You simply wire the coils to the DTA's coil outputs in firing order and then tick "Twin spark" in General Engine Settings and make sure the offset is 0.0. That will fire the coils in wasted spark mode, as per a standard VR6 coilpack.

You can fire the coils sequentially if you want to (Coil per plug settings) but there's no point and cam timing then becomes critical.

2ms dwell time.

Hi mate

Pin 1 - Chassis Ground

Pin 2 - Engine Ground

Pin 3 - ECU signal

Pin 4 - Switched 12V

Edited by Kevin Bacon

In preperation for going MK5 ECU, I have modified the fuel supply to MK5 spec too. The injection map in the MK5 software will be programmed for a constant 4 bar rail pressure, so the MK4 rail and FPR is off and back on with the returnless MK5 rail.

In order to get the 4 bar supply as per the factory, I bought a MK5 fuel filter, which has a 4 bar reg built in. £15+VAT and 40K service interval.

Img_0011-1.jpg

Img_0010-1.jpg

The fuel return is done in the regulator as well, so all I all I needed was a single line up to the engine. I used -6 braided teflon as it's super tough. Fit and forget :D I'm not really sure why OEs binned return rails and FPRs in favour of this method. Probably cost and to simplify the fuel circuit. Another benefit is the fuel is always cold as it doesn't have to pass through the rail and therefore get warmed up.

I'm hate jubilee clips but was the only way I could do it for now as I can't find OE push fit fuel fittings, so I'll look into improving it.

Img_0013-1.jpg

Things look tidier in the engine bay!

Img_0007-2.jpg

Img_0009-1.jpg

It started up and ran fine and no leaks :D Just need to remap it a little now but so far so good!