KIPVW

Nugget almost done! Well top bit anyway :)

I know i'm late to say it but Paul i'm so gutted for you! I absolutely LOVE this car, infact you got my vote at the national day :lol: Fingers crossed it can be saved :( It might not be much help but when i had a xr3i written off about 5-6 years ago i searched ebay/autotrader etc and printed off all adverts for similar cars to prove how much they were selling for then gave them to the assesor, i know there can't be many nuggets for sale out there but just a suggestion, good luck mate

Not giving up without going ten round anyway! today was just the start i guess having an independant assessor look at it who was from both mine and the third party's insurance so not really on any bodys side as such, i guess he'll take the cars condition into account and work out a figure.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice too :notworthy: i feel very humbled that everyone has expressed their thoughts on the car. :(

I thought you had an agreed value policy? Surely that means the car was valued independantly when you took the policy?

So what's to worry about?

There's a G60 Nugget on Pistonheads with 96k miles. Says it is immaculate, on 17' deep dish alloys, doesn't say leather so I'm guessing it doesn't have it.

On at £4,800.

I've taken a copy of the ad.

Agreed value, you send them 6 photos plus supporting documents (i.e. having recently bought it at xyz price), say what value you want to insure at, pay the additional premium and they send back confirmation of the value they agree.

Kips nugget looked a minter, how many miles had it done.

expect i'll get a slap but i'd rather a nice nugget than a storm any day.....

best of luck with sorting everything out.

Kips nugget looked a minter, how many miles had it done.

As at Wednesday 13th Oct 61,400. The assesor took a photo of the mileage.

Just got back online after moving house, gutted for you Kip, really a lovely car, hope you can get it sorted.

Rich

Thanks for the commments chaps, always nice to hear from you! hope the house move went well Rich :wink:

Thanks for the commments chaps, always nice to hear from you! hope the house move went well Rich :wink:

Went surprisingly well, got a nice dry garage for the corrado!.

If I can help with anything with the nugget, let me know.

Rich

Well my insurance company's engineer have had a quote from some company and the bill came to 4.8k so naturally they are wanting to write it off, i said the car has an agreed value for 4k so if you pay me 6k that'll cover the depreciation it will have when i decide to sel it..... Erm not sure about that sir. :grin:

Been out collecting quotes today and saw 5 places 2 of which i liked the look of and seemed very enthusiastic to the point of chomping at the bit so he seemed very keen and their quote was 3.3k so looking good there and he actually has a mk 1 golf and also has a G60 round the back that has had a hard front end smash so if need be panels could come from that as they are now Obsolete :( However I have Just ordered the last rear apron panel in the country as didn't want to miss out. i'm sure i can work this out with whoever repairs the car.

Got another company getting me a quote too and then wwhen i get that its a case of forwarding on to my insurance to see if the enginerrs are happy with it, My choice at the end of the day but i get a feeling that wil be a stumbling block too :brickwall: Hope not as i will be saving them money in the longrun by having it done for less than 4k.

We'll see i think! :?

Is it not that if the repair costs are more than 50% of the value of the car they will try and write it off so you'll need to get some better quotes. I hate to say it but I think you will be lucky to get out of this without the car being classed as a CAT D. With my experience of Ins companies they are all about figures, it doesnt matter how rare or good the car is.

Even with an agreed value though Graeme? surely they have to honour that figure otherwise what would be the point having such policies. :|

Hope thats not the case as it can be repaired for less than the 4k and is also creating a job for someone so that wouldn't be very good if thats what they wnt to do would it :scratch: :roll:

May find out next week then. :?

You might be able to get say £3600 from the insurance and get to keep the car, then get the car repaired but with good used parts etc for a lot less!!

It would still mean your car would have the CAT D tag thou.

You might be able to get say £3600 from the insurance and get to keep the car, then get the car repaired but with good used parts etc for a lot less!!

It would still mean your car would have the CAT D tag thou.

Trying to avoid that scenareo though! cant see why it should get written off when it can be repaired for less than the payout, that just annoys me as much as the silly cow that caused all this....... :bad-words: :roll:

Agreed value insurance is only of any use if the car is stolen and not recovered.

There are too many occurences of agreed insurance being given out on the basis of a load of selectively taken photos. The punter thinks he's got a good deal on his tin worm ridden car but the fact is that when the car is involved in an accident the assessor will assess the value of the car based on the wreck in front of them. You might have agreed an insurance value of 4, 6 or 8K but if your valuation was unrealistic you won't get it.

I think you are doing the right thing to look at getting a few quotes , you also need to force up the amount the insurance co will offer you until you have a quote that is less than they are offering and then offer them the opportunity to do a deal.

If you do it right you could avoid it becoming a Cat D

Good Luck!

They often set the write off value at 50% because most repair quotes only list the materials required to do the job, and the normal thumb-rule is that the labour and tax will double whatever the materials are quoted at.

You'll need to get the quote down to well under £2k. The alternative will be to think in terms of writing off at the agreed value provided they allow you to keep the scrap - voila you have a £4k budget to work with. If you can pick up a suitable broken shell to cannibalise the panels from you may be able to restore it all back to glory for around the settlement. If you start with a whole car you can also reclaim extra funds back by breaking and selling the bits you won't need.

When I bent mine last year I did a similar deal; front wings are like £400+ and the slam panel was over £600 from VW, but (having settled) I managed to source both for only £30 each and spent the insurance money in the bodyshop. Gives you an idea of what's possible anyway.

Still wishing you lots of luck Paul :)

Kinda going through it all at the moment Eric but when i advised my insurance i could get it repaired for less than the quote the assesor gave them they suggested that it may be a good possibility, i just have to forward on the quotes and see what they come back with! Fingers definately crossed so will probably be this time next week i'll get to know..

Kip,

Have a look around on some of the other car forums. None exotic ones are best. Lots of people with emotional ties to what insurers see as scrap metal. Try typing "avoid" and "write off" into their search engines and you'll get loads of info about your options. It would seem that your car could end up being a cat c or cat d even if they write it off and you buy it back. Not all insurers will let you buy it back. More and more companies are insisting on their right to the salvage.

It still looks like your best bet is to get a quote that's nice and cheap from Kip vehicle repairs limited. They will give you the go ahead and pay you once they recieve the invoice. Not sure where you cash the cheque mind you but I read one web entry where a guy had successfully done this. It has the benefit of the car not not being recorded.

Andy

That's certainly how I got my Mk1 repaired a few years ago. Sent in 3 or 4 quotes, got approved, received cheque and paid repairer myself.

Tempest

Ah thats interesting Eric, I thought they'd want to deal direct with the repairer Hmmmm feel a full respray coming on Lol! :lol: