KIPVW

Nugget almost done! Well top bit anyway :)

shame ypour not closer this way. a mate of mine who is BMW trained bodyshop dude has just opened up a gaff here and he is split mint! - not the cheapest but i swear he is good. his phone number is 07816891177 and he is called Dan. ie Blitz Bodyworx - search him on my facebook profile and you can see some of the work he has done. just that i kno of in the past 3 months he has resprayed a GT Continental to white replaced the full rear quarter on a 3 series Beemer and repaired some bad marks on a A4 Avant. if you want anymore info kip let me kno mate!

Had a letter waitig for when i got home from the claims company and the offer is indeed honouring the 4k agreed value i have on my policy.

It basically reads our offer taking into account £100 excess and a salvage price of £630 they are prepared to offer me the remaining £3270.

This though means that the car will be a class D or C write off which annoys me immensley as i'd quite like to get them to repair it without it being written off at all.

I've had several quotes for just over 3k to repair it and i can no doubt knock them down a little and bank a couple of quid but i'd rather not do this and have it repaired instead.

Has anyone had this experiance before and successfully got them to repair it without it being written off? :? happy the value is honoured but not happy at all about the situation.

Thaks in advance.

NOOOO - don't accept that!!

Mine was agreed at £5k and cost £2.6k to repair - you need to push for them to repair and not Cat it.

It's a strange offer as as long as you have a quote to repair that is less than £4k then they should repair it, that's the whole point of an agreed value.

The engineer actually valued mine at £2.9k (without looking at the car) so said it would have been repaired regardless of the agreed value anyway.

NOOOO - don't accept that!!

Mine was agreed at £5k and cost £2.6k to repair - you need to push for them to repair and not Cat it.

It's a strange offer as as long as you have a quote to repair that is less than £4k then they should repair it, that's the whole point of an agreed value.

The engineer actually valued mine at £2.9k (without looking at the car) so said it would have been repaired regardless of the agreed value anyway.

Yep wasn't intending to accept it steve. will call them tomorrow to have a chat with them, at the end of the day i feel if i can get it repaired for less than the 4k i'm doing them a favour but doubt they'll see it that way. :roll:

Doesn't matter if it ends up CAT C/D though mate does it? Realistically you're never going to sell it now you've got it unless there is some kind of crisis...

Doesn't matter if it ends up CAT C/D though mate does it? Realistically you're never going to sell it now you've got it unless there is some kind of crisis...

You are most probably correct jim but it will always be in the back of my mind that i have a C or D on the drive and i dont think i could handle that as i intend to go a long way into the Nugget and really go to town but i couldn't justify it if it was.

I Know it'll be exactly the same but if it's repaired without it being listed it will not have to be mentioned when insurance time comes around either.

But i know it'll reduce the resale price should i sell it so there is no room for depreciation with this offer either which angers me a lot, if they said take 5.5k i may think about it but i know thats not gonna happen.

Am semi pleased i haven't had to wrangle with them yet though!

i think Kip's saying he wants it back under any circumstances so they've put a price of £630 on it for the salvage which comes off the £4k they would give him if they kept it as a write off.

If you accept is it not then their property so they will collect it from you?

technically the car would be there property if they wrote it off as there payout is effectively buying the car from you. The salvage value is the price it would cost to buy the car back from the insurers.. coz its sitting on your driveway and not in a salvage yard or in an approved bodyshop awaiting its fate they will deduct the salvage price and pay you the remainder and let you keep the car.. hence the smaller payout..

this happened to me when my old valver was written off a few years back

Yep you guys are correct, had the offer less the salvage cost as it is still in the garage and going nowhere till its resolved :? will see what they think today.....

I think you need to push back against the salvage costs. £630 sounds like quite a bit for a car which is a write off. You're wasting your time arguing the settlement number as they're paying the agreed valuation

When my 1st VR6 (M100 VRG) was wrecked I only paid £400 to get the salvage back, and that was 5 years ago. I'm sure there's some room for negotiation; a few extra hundred quid on the deal would be nice.

What does the salvage value represent - is it what they think they could make by selling it? If so you could argue the break up value of a corrado is much more than £630 - depending on the damge you might expect to get £1500 or more with enough patience. Not a good arguement to make in this case! What's the significance of the Cat C and Cat D?

Could you not get a quote for less than £3370 to persuade them not to write it off? Might leave you out of pocket but maybe worth it? What would persuade them - £3,000? Don't know if you are pursuing any other personal injury damages but that might plug the gap for you??

Not an expert so apologies if I'm talking complete bollocks!

I've pretty sure the salvage value is just a percentage of the insured value. My (ex-)insurance company tried to write my car off at one point and I recall them mentioning 15% being the salvage figure. 630/4000 is pretty close to that.

I'm not sure where Kip's car is but if it is anywhere other than in his own garage someone will be accumulating storage costs at £50 a day. If the car is written off Kip will be liable for the costs otherwise the insurance company will pick up the bill

I'm not sure where Kip's car is but if it is anywhere other than in his own garage someone will be accumulating storage costs at £50 a day. If the car is written off Kip will be liable for the costs otherwise the insurance company will pick up the bill

The car is in my garage, John i'm not expecting them to pay out over the 4k agreed value i'm just trying to get it repaired without it being a cat C/D. no difference really but i know i wouldn't have paid what i did for it in july if it was a cat C/D and thats why i'm trying to avoid that situation.

I really dont see why it should be written off if it can be repaired for less than the value it's insured for.

Have 3 quotes all for less that 3.3K and have now sent copy's of those off to my insurance to try to debate with the claims company. :?

Sounds like your doing the right thing Kip - there is no way you want this on a Cat D or C when you have an agreed value in place - keep on it!

What does the salvage value represent - is it what they think they could make by selling it? If so you could argue the break up value of a corrado is much more than £630 - depending on the damge you might expect to get £1500 or more with enough patience.

But Kip wouldn't want to increase the value placed on the car as salvage as that would mean they paid him out less.

4000 less 630 (less excess 100) = 3370 paid out

increase the salvage to 1500 means

4000 less 1500 less 100 = 2400 paid out :nono:

The thing is they want the MOT cert so they can register it as CatC/D. Then on Kip getting the repair done with the amount paid out the car has to be retested. The stupid thing is that everything works perfectly as it it, lights, brakes, seat belts and the damage it has does not mean there are sharp dangerous edges so I recon it would pass an MOT exactly as it is.

I think Kip would be perfectly happy if they sent him a cheque for £3370. Big FULL STOP. No CatC/D, he gets it repaired, end of.

I can understand that they don't want to get involved with the hassle of dealing with a bodyshop and the 'injured party' having to agree the quality of the repair before they can close the case but think Kip needs to dig his heels in about getting paid the value without having to hand over the MOT for them to register CatC/D.

What I don't get is why they want to CatC/D it? What's in it for them? Is there a legal obligation? If they are willing to pay £3370 why do they need the MOT??

As I say I'm no expert but if we can understand their motivation then we may be able to come up with a cunning strategy

My point about the £630 salvage value is that its actually quite low which is good because the lower it is the more you get paid out.

If you said you had a quote for say £3,000 to repair it would that persuade them not to CAT C/D it? I know you'd be £370 out of pocket but how much is them not Cat C/D ing it worth to you?

What a nightmare this must be for you.

It's more profit (in the long run) and less hassle for insurers :bad-words: . They really just want to pay out, get the car and scrap it. Cut their losses on this car so it can't come back and bite them. I can see why Kip wants to avoid Cat D as even if you disregard any resale value I'm sure all the insurers will know it's Cat D so there's no chance of getting an agreed £4k value again and the premium will be higher. The insurers will be thinking we've paid out big time once on this car so we don't want to do that again....or am I too cynical?